Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding my Japanese Gas Bill

Default Understanding my Japanese Gas Bill

This might be relevant to new JETs as well, but I recently moved into a 2LDK in July and I just got my first gas bill for the month for July and August (7/25-8/18). Even though I was in America from the 28th to the 14th of August, my bill was 3000yen for 1m3.

I don't think I can live like this. I just took a 10 min shower at 38degrees, and I used up .1m3. Is this normal? My last apartment, I kept my water heater at 36degrees and took 10min showers, sometime every other day, and I never cooked and my bill was 6000yen or so a month. I feel like this is just me, though, because a friend and her boyfriend live in a mansion and they take easily 20min showers (individually) at 40+ a day and cook every day about and she was telling me she's never paid more than 8000yen. I feel like if I did that, I'd be screwed.

Halp.Why is my bill so high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Default Re: Understanding my Japanese Gas Bill

As I've also just moved into a new apartment, I got a little more insight on how some of the bills work (I never really paid much attention before). I've been told that the gas bill has a base fee that you must pay in addition to the fee for the amount you use. So perhaps that's why the bill seems so large even though you haven't used very much gas, you're still paying a chunk for the base fee.

I hope this is the case, N. I wouldn't mind paying a base fee. My gas company was changed from the 25th, so I was under a different company from the 1st to the 24th. I'm still waiting on that bill.

Yeh I ran into this situation (with significantly moar expensive bills, incidentally); turns out, most of the bill was a result of the constant changing of the tanks (whether they needed changing or not). The former occupant was a well-off old man who didn't gaf but absolutely did not want to run out of gas under any circumstances. We had the frequency of the checking/changing done and our bills dropped. So, I suspect your bills may not be that bad; that a certain chunk of it is just the baseline fees involved in the changing of the tanks, rather than the actual gas used.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Dumb question, do Japanese houses not have plumbed gas lines? Are they all tank exchange?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Dumb question, do Japanese houses not have plumbed gas lines? Are they all tank exchange?
    I think because of earthquakes, there's very little if any plumbed gas lines.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Well I kinda wondered about that for a second, but Canada has frost heave in winter (rather substantial, enough to lift and break roads with little effort) and we plumb gas everywhere. I can't see that being any better for gas lines than shaking them apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

There are a few places in more-developed areas of my city that have natural gas. Bigger cities seem to have some gas lines sometimes. But tank exchange seems to be far more common, especially in rural-ish areas.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Well I kinda wondered about that for a second, but Canada has frost heave in winter (rather substantial, enough to lift and break roads with little effort) and we plumb gas everywhere. I can't see that being any better for gas lines than shaking them apart.
    A big earthquake though probably causes sudden and more extensive damage, and would probably have a worse effect on urban areas. AFAIK gas explosions become a huge problem after big quakes. Plus no-one is going to get out to repair them when half the city is rubble.

broken gas lines caused 7500 houses to burn down following the 95 kobe quake and rescue workers reported the area smelling of burnt bacon when recovering the charred bodies....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Japan's earthquakes cause soil to 'liquify' when especially strong tremors like the March 2011 quake hit. I was under the impression that was the main reason gas isn't underground usually.

JETs bitching about $25 utility bills? I see nothing has changed.
    13,000 posts and doesn't do O-ramas

Yeh I kinda LOLed, too, but I think she was mainly just concerned that it was 3000 with minimal usage and assumed it would go up drastically from there.

There may or may not be gas tanks needing to be switched out depending where you are, ditto for the base fee. What I do know is OP is probably in an old dump that is horribly inefficient, and that's probably why.
    13,000 posts and doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Yeh I kinda LOLed, too, but I think she was mainly just concerned that it was 3000 with minimal usage and assumed it would go up drastically from there.
    Yeah, and I panicked. I was using my gas for like 6 days.

Check to make sure your water heater/tank hookup isn't leaking - I have an alarm in the apartment, but outside there is nothing to alert you but smell. Mine developed a slow leak that cost me about $80 in gas before I tracked it down and had the landlord come in to fix it. The repair didn't cost me anything.

In my city, where there are virtually no earthquakes (but a sh*t-ton of typhoons), we have gas lines plumbed into the apartments. Im in a Leo Palace c.2007ish with a base rate of 2,500. Somehow, my bill for 3 weeks was at 3,500. And yet my neighbour (an ALT couple) also paid 3,500 for a month. They told me they both take long showers every day, sometimes twice a day.
    Now, i dont know what uses gas as i have no water tank, electric hobs and no heating. So what on freeking earth uses gas and how can i reduce my bill?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Me again. This month's gas bill is...14万円. This month though, I have a small section attached '繰越金'. I'm pretty sure I'm not carrying a balance (and none of my other bills have been close to 8500円, the amount that says I'm carrying forward). Is there another reason why I would have this?

Please tell me that's a digit off. Your gas bill is nearly one thousand five hundred dollars?

Ugh I forgot the period.