Thread: Internet Help

Default Internet Help

Hello,

I am trying to set up my internet and I am struggling massively. I am with NTT East/Flet's Hikari and I have been posted a router. The installer did not come when he was supposed to but apparently I have everything I need to set up my internet now. The router is a PR-500MI and my provider is softbank/yahoo I think.

It's very confusing so any help would be appreciated.

Banned

Default Re: Internet Help

Do you have Windows 8?

Does your router have wifi built in?
    ...because Japan.

I recommend not trying to mess around with wifi yet. Plug your router into your computer and try going to 192.169.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, or maybe some other address. Check the back of the router and the materials included for the default router password.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

passwords to get into router settings are normally admin and admin. Is your apartment with leo-palace or someone else?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Wait for the installer to come. Even if you have the router, they might have to do something to the wall socket. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes.

So I have Flets ADSL and they just dropped the stuff at my house. It didn't come with a built in wireless router. I found the English support line for OCN (number here 0120-047-860) and they called me back about an hour later to walk me through the process. They had me set up the connection using the Windows 8 built in wizard for setting up a new broadband connection. They should have sent you a separate piece of mail that has a username and password for the connection - you need this paper if you call too, as it has your customer number on it which they want (top of the page near your name, 10 digits starting with N). The username you need to make the PPPoE connection work will be a mix of letters and numbers with an ending that looks kind of like an e-mail address (something like @ocn.one.ne.jp) and my password was like 6 or 8 characters long, and again a mix of letters and numbers. I bought a wireless router (Elecom brand) for just under 3,000 yen and what you have to do to make the wireless work is to go to the router's ip address (mine was listed on a big sticker along with the name of the wireless network, the wireless password, and some other information). The IP address is usually something similar to 198.162.2.1 but it can vary so look for a set of numbers similar to that in your router's instructions. Log in with whatever your router's username & password is (probably admin/admin). The page that pops up will be all Japanese, but there should be a section written partially in roman letters that specifies 'WAN'. I attached a screenshot of my router's page with basic instructions. It might not be exactly the same layout for every wireless router, but it might help you out.

Note: I understand very little Japanese & have extremely basic tech skills, but I just kind of clicked around and tried things until it worked. If you can read katakana it'll be useful in this situation. Best of luck!

Setting up wireless.jpg
    I came here to laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I attached a screenshot of my router's page with basic instructions. It might not be exactly the same layout for every wireless router, but it might help you out.

Note: I understand very little Japanese & have extremely basic tech skills, but I just kind of clicked around and tried things until it worked. If you can read katakana it'll be useful in this situation. Best of luck!

Setting up wireless.jpg
    if you click 言語設定 at the bottom you should be able to change it to english.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.