Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Applying for 2015 - reference letter question.

Default Re: Applying for 2015 - reference letter question.

I had a family friend write my reference letter. However, I have "worked" for her. I actually have no idea what she wrote, but anyway I was accepted...

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    I have "worked" for her.
    ... Hmm...

I actually have no idea what she wrote...
    ... 'Nostos has great stamina', perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    ... Hmm...

... 'Nostos has great stamina', perhaps?
    It's really important to pick someone you have made a good impression on.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

It's really important to pick someone you have made a good impression on.
    1018575-giant_bomb_applause.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The rules don't change, the goal of a letter of reference is that the individual has supervised you in some official capacity, which gives them license to discuss your character. A family member doesn't really qualify as you haven't worked for them. The family member the other posted mentioned that he worked for is something different. At least they an present the illusion of independence and authority when writing the letter. Your immediate family member who is familiar with the JET programme does not not.

The academic part is only for those individuals who are currently in university, otherwise it's optional.

From the jetprogramme website
    Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme Canada - Application Information

• 2 recent letters of reference (written within 3 months of the application deadline) that are in a sealed envelope with a signature across the seal (students need 1 letter to be from a university/college professor)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

But it's not a family member. Obviously a family member is not a valid official reference, and never has been for any position, ever, probably since powdered wigs went out of style. This is a friend's parent, therefore not a relation to me, who has known me for a number of years in various capacities, including volunteering together at the same children's theatre programme.

You'll note that your post from the JET website is exactly my point from my original question; beyond the stipulation that, if in university, one of the letters must be academic, there are no longer explictly stated instructions for the letters to be from professional supervisors. This was posted on the website for the Consulate-General of Japan in Toronto in 2009:
    Consulate-General of Japan in Toronto

The only reason I'm concerned is that I've been in my current job for four years. My manager is already providing me with one of my reference letters, and it does not seem to be of any benefit to anyone to provide two reference letters from the same place. I could easily ask another person in my office who's worked with me on projects to provide a reference, but that seems somewhat counterproductive. I can't go to my previous employer for anything because it is the company's policy not to provide references, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I should go from here. I can't even go to my previous volunteer organization, as the coordinator I was working with has since moved on, and the woman working there now would not be able to provide anything other than what exists on file.

I recently graduated and am in contact with 2 professors who I've discussed at great length my interest in Japanese culture. One of them I've known for two years and that's where I find myself on this site, for one. I think it'll help if in choosing who you want to write the letter, you meet up with them to discuss it. It'll at least avoid the "generic letter" mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by Ozzy; September 29th, 2014 at 08:36.

Both the US and Canada Jet Program websites say that reference letters from family or friends won't be accepted, so they have to be either professional or academic.

For students or people in general getting letters from professors/doctors you studied under at some point, be sure to remind them who you are exactly! No matter how many classes you take with them and what not or how chummy you are be sure to remind them what work you have done and what not. Even more so if you have done projects that related to Japan in some way. I'msending both my references past projects to give them more to talk about than "this was a great student."

Does anyone know if they released reference letter instructions in Japanese? One of my references is coming from a professor I had in Japan and they requested the Japanese version of the instructions since the English version is a bit tough for them to read. If not then I can translate it to the best of my knowledge but it would simply be easier and look better to have an official Japanese instruction .pdf.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Tobio,

The Japanese recommendation letter cover/instructions is on the DC website: http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/pd...renceformj.pdf

-MC

Thank you so much, Miami!

Question regarding reference letter: I received my reference letter from my tutor today and it's signed and sealed in an official envelope. Do the papers inside need to be stapled, or can i just place the envelop in place of the stapled references in my overall application. Or would it be better for me to unseal the envelop as the guidelines stated that the reference letter and form need to be stapled together....

Don't unseal it. Send it as is.

Great! thanks so much for prompt reply.

Is it possible to have the parent of one of the students i tutor write me a reference? I have taught her son for over two years and he received really good english HSC results. The reference requirements are professional or academic, but i'm not sure whether this is considered professional enough for JET. There also wouldn't be a letterhead, would that affect anything?

Sounds to me like if you have other options you should go with them. Sounds like a reference that could easily be faked so wouldn't impress me.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I was afraid of that answer. I first asked my other workplace, who has a proper letterhead but my manager hasn't replied yet, and there's only 20 days left for the Australian application. I think i'll ask her and have it as a last resort in case my other workplace doesn't reply. Which hopefully she will.

Banned

I got in with a reference letter with no letterhead from a friend whose daughter I tutored.

The consulate I talked to said that only the university reference letter had to have letterhead. The other would be fine without.