Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there anything I can do now to boost my chances?

Default Re: Is there anything I can do now to boost my chances?

If you want an easy way to get English teaching experience, try doing some informal tutoring over Skype. I think that probably helped my application as I hadn't really done any teaching before. There's a website called italki where you can do language exchange with other learners for free, or you can register to become a tutor and earn a bit of money. I've had a few unusual students... but that's what I get for talking to strangers over webcam. I've also been learning Japanese this way for a while now and most of the tutors charge between 6 and 10 dollars an hour so it's pretty good value if you want someone to practice speaking with!

Right I am making progress.
    I am going to be applying to the uni scheme that involves students helping out in schools so I can get some teaching experience.

Or not. I was so concerned about other issues (moving house because I hate where I am atm) that I forgot about it and the application deadline has passed.

Anyone know any good places to volunteer in a capacity that will help my application?
    Last edited by haitch40; October 18th, 2014 at 01:30.

Are there any programs related to your major? I taught volunteer piano lessons at a local music school for kids who wouldn't normally have been able to afford instruments and lessons

Hahaha major.
    UK unis do just one straight course although I am taking Japanese lessons from the same place but it isn't affecting my degree grade.

I am studying politics so a bit heavy for children.
    Last edited by haitch40; October 18th, 2014 at 23:20.

My advice would be to go look at the application now and pretend to fill it out. See what areas you're strong in and areas that you are currently lacking. A well-rounded candidate looks much better than someone with only one specialty, so try to have a something to put down for every question. For example, if you have a lot of Japanese study completed, but you don't have any teaching experience, you should spend this next year working on getting the type of teaching experience that you can put down on your application (the application generally doesn't differ too much from year to year).

Hey,

The best advice I can give you, is see if your school offers any free exchanges over the summer intersession. I know the university I attend offers completely free study abroad programs. I went on one over the summer to Seoul, South Korea, all I had to do was pay for the flight. Check to see if your university has anything like that. ANY study or living abroad in some way will help your application. I also volunteer as a conversation group organization for my community for foreign nationals, I also have adult literacy training and ESL Tutor training through my university. These courses weren't worth credit, were completely volunteer based, but still showed up on my transcripts; see if your university has anything like that. Any kind of volunteering will help, even if you don't have any official record of having done it, write it down anyway, most people know that volunteering isn't always heavily recorded. You've still got two years of school, so you've got tons of time and options to take to make yourself a better applicant.

Also, see if you can be the chair of anything at your university. I ran the Japanese Language Club, and was Chair of the History Students' Association at my university, both of these positions require a lot of interaction with students both domestic and foreign for numerous reasons. It's all about maintaining an active role in your community and your university. Personally, I think a lot of weight is placed on the references, so make sure your references from your professors are solid.

tl;dr