Thread: Expired visa and overstay

Default Expired visa and overstay

I've just found out that my residence card has been expired. I'm still currently under contract (until March 2015) with an ALT dispatch company. As expected I can't get in contact with them because it's a national holiday.

Previous times, my company would just automatically send out the forms and sponsorship in advance to me in order to get it renewed. This time they didn't and along with my forgetfulness , created the position I'm now in. I'm not trying to shift blame as that falls down to me. Should I turn myself up at the immigration office or contact with my company first?

I've read about all sorts of fines and punishments and I'm dreading to think what will happen. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Expired visa and overstay

I'd talk with your company first, as they'll have to do paperwork, but then call immigration fairly quickly afterwards.

A large part of this will be whether it's just your card that's expired or your visa as well. If your visa is expired, you could be in a lot more trouble than just for the card. In the past, the dates used to be separate, but with the new cards, I think they're tied together now?
    ...because Japan.

Yeah, if your visa expired, you're going to be deported. No way to avoid it that I'm aware of. Turning yourself in is pretty much the only way to avoid jail and serious financial penalties. You'll have to stay out of Japan for a year (and it will probably be difficult to get a job here again).

I thought the new card system tied the visas to the residence cards, too; I was under the impression that the dates were the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for the best.

Good luck. Keep us updated please
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

go to immigration and beg forgiveness (seriously, beg. if you go in there with a shit eating grin on your face they will fuck your shit up). Unlikely but possible outcome is they say no harm to foul and allow you to renew. More likely they make you leave the country immediately and blacklist you for only a year. If you are caught outside a train station by Johnny law doing a random id check then you could face fines, be detained in a luxurious police cell for a prolonged period of time before being blacklisted from entering the country for 5 years.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If your visa really has expired, maybe try to really emphasize that your company had always taken care of it but made a mistake. Of course as you said it's ultimately your responsibility but maybe some kind person will cut you a break?

Hugely relieved to say that the immigration office pardoned the overstay and renewed my visa for another year. I went along to the immigration office with one of my companies representatives, submitted the paperwork along with an apology letter. Waited for about an hour and then was given two letters to change my visa status (firstly to tourist visa then back onto the instructor visa). Paid the 4000 yen revenue stamp for each and they issued me a new residence card there and then.

I've dodged a huge bullet and won't be making the same mistake twice!

Have you considered buying a lottery ticket, with that sort of luck? Or have you burned it all on this?

Glad to hear it all worked out ok, though!
    ...because Japan.

Me too pal. I'm really glad that it worked out well for you.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Excellent! Nice to know sanity trumps strict adherence to technicalities sometimes, even in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Wow, that is really awesome that your company sent a representative as well. Congrats. Was your apology in English or Japanese or both? (I ask this for people who mess up in the future.)
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Nice to know you had some company backup. My card expired the same day as my contract, and since I wasn't renewing the big I dragged their asses in getting me the paperwork I needed to switch to a tourist. Thankfully the school was nice enough to let me leave early in time to go to Mito and get things fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.