Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Dyes

Default Hair Dyes

Does having your hair dyed a really crazy colour affect you getting an interview or affect your chances during the interview? I was going to redye my hair but I'm having second thoughts if it means it will affect my application in any way.

Default Re: Hair Dyes

Quote Originally Posted by tobio View Post
    Does having your hair dyed a really crazy colour affect you getting an interview or affect your chances during the interview? I was going to redye my hair but I'm having second thoughts if it means it will affect my application in any way.
    Would you hire someone with a rainbow Afro to work in a government office?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Banned

Unless you talk about your hair in your sop how are they going to judge your hair color before they see you at the interview?

I don't recommend having your hair dyed crazy colors in general but certainly not at a job interview. I guess the exception might be that unnatural red that ladies sometimes get away with, or black or blonde when those are clearly not your natural color. But not like pink or blue or anything.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Pink rinse, works every time.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

how red are we talking? How cute are you?

69120_original.jpg - we'd like to offer you the job.

PinkHair.jpg - get the fuck out my office.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how red are we talking? How cute are you?

69120_original.jpg - we'd like to offer you the job.

PinkHair.jpg - get the fuck out my office.
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Unless you talk about your hair in your sop how are they going to judge your hair color before they see you at the interview?

I don't recommend having your hair dyed crazy colors in general but certainly not at a job interview. I guess the exception might be that unnatural red that ladies sometimes get away with, or black or blonde when those are clearly not your natural color. But not like pink or blue or anything.
    In some applications you have to add a picture in the application so if that's not the case then that's my bad for assuming lmfao! That said, thanks for the advice!

There are a few CIRs and ALTs with crazy hair cuts/colors. You can get away with it much more than you can visible non-earring piercings. Gov't offices generally will be more lax than a JHS as well. Maybe miamicord can elucidate a bit more on how much it will affect your application.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Hello tobio! Im out recruiting right now so i apologize for not seeing this sooner.

As far as your hair goes, the application has no place for a picture. The initial screening is supposed to be blind to avoid any chance of prejudice. However, if you provide your passport copy as your citizenship then we will see what you look like.

If you do pass the initial screening, many consulates, like my own, require you to submit a picture for your interview voucher.

That being said i always encourage people to come to their interviews with natural hair colors. Natural as in colors that you dont find in anime. When was the last time you saw a teacher rocking blue or green hair? Its true that you do find cirs or alts with funny colored hair, but those are people who are already in japan. Once you are there, and clear it with your BoE, you can have you hair any color that they approve.

For the interview though, definitely be cautious. Come with a normal color hair. You dont want to miss your chance for jet just because you are feeling particularly expressive and individual on interview days. Interview panels are comprised of many kinds of people. Some are older and more traditional, others are younger and more liberal. The fact is, you wont know who will be in front of you until you walk into that room.

Good luck!

I saw two girls with purple in their hair during Tokyo Orientation. One said that she was able to hide it during the interview as it was just on the ends so she had some fancy bun hairstyle that day where it wasn't visible. I definitely suggest against it, but you could do just the ends and trim it off before the interview if you were offered one.
    I came here to laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I saw two girls with purple in their hair during Tokyo Orientation. One said that she was able to hide it during the interview as it was just on the ends so she had some fancy bun hairstyle that day where it wasn't visible. I definitely suggest against it, but you could do just the ends and trim it off before the interview if you were offered one.
    It can absolutely work for you... if you do it right. Just follow Ini's advice to be sure:

purple_hair_good.jpg "I don't need to see your qualifications. You're hired."

purple_hair_bad.jpg "Johnson, call security up here immediately!"
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

What if tobio is male?
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

then he needs to grow up.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Hermaphrodite?

stop trolling in the applying forum.

Sorry dad...

SomePeopleJustCallIniDad
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    SomePeopleJustCallIniDad
    lol
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    SomePeopleJustCallIniDad
    Who knows...

Ini, did you ever poke your toad in that particular hole?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.