Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

Default Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

Time for our own thread for this year because the Canadian website updated saying the application will open later THIS MONTH. Holy crap - And here I was thinking it'd be late October by the earliest. I hope you're all getting prepared! I know I am!

Banned

Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

Yeah, that's super early. Maybe they're tired of having to extend the deadline because they leave it open for a month and a half during a crazy busy time of year.

Where are you seeing that? I just see "this fall."

Edit: Nevermind, I see it! That's interesting. I wonder if its just Canada, or other countries too.
    Last edited by nostos; September 22nd, 2014 at 18:55.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    Where are you seeing that? I just see "this fall."

Edit: Nevermind, I see it! That's interesting. I wonder if its just Canada, or other countries too.
    It is for all countries. Tokyo side is asking for more time to process paperwork, so everything worldwide has been pushed forward one month.

For example, u.s. interviews traditionally took place in late february, but now tokyo wants all the interview information in their hands by the start of feb, which means we need to do interviews either the last week of jan, or 1st week of feb.

Miami for example did interviews last year 2/21-28, this year we are doing them 1/26-30.

You will see everything moved forward a bit, except maybe placement notification

Thanks for the info, Miami!
    JET applications opened for Canadians today!

Quote Originally Posted by tobio View Post
    Thanks for the info, Miami!
    JET applications opened for Canadians today!
    Yup! except I can't seem to get to the application - keeps stating there is a website error. First day glitches I'm sure (I think it did this last year too on the first day or so?) Will try again tomorrow or the next day, even though I'm super eager to start as my application last year was cutting it close to the deadline...

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

New posters, just in case it hasn't occurred to you, people very rarely use pictures of themselves for their avatar. I advise following this trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    New posters, just in case it hasn't occurred to you, people very rarely use pictures of themselves for their avatar. I advise following this trend.
    Didnt realize that was a thing, though goes to show how much I pay attention considering I've browsed the forums a fair bit (just haven't posted a ton). Will change it I guess. Is there a reason why people dont?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitehexe View Post
    Didnt realize that was a thing, though goes to show how much I pay attention considering I've browsed the forums a fair bit (just haven't posted a ton). Will change it I guess. Is there a reason why people dont?
    Sort of yes, sort of no. Some of the things that are said here occasionally make their way to the outside world, and not everybody wants their face to be easily associated with their words. There's certainly no rule against it that I'm aware, and both Word and Kenkennif have avatars that perfectly capture them in real life, but it generally isn't the done thing.

Also, we occasionally get dodgy people (like that tobio fellow) who would use knowledge of your looks to make hurtful personal comments. Rare, admittedly, but possible.

Anyway, feel free to listen or ignore me - I'm not important in the grand scheme of things. Just thought it might be something useful for the new people heading towards applying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by whitehexe View Post
    Is there a reason why people dont?
    GRIL?
    IS THERE A NEW GRIL ON THESE FORMUS!!!?!?!

Sorry, I thought this was the lounge.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Also. You're not alone. I have a picture of myself as well. Representing those birds... Errrrr....

It's a sheep, not a bird
    Last edited by itsabird; September 24th, 2014 at 16:32.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

So, applications went up on Tuesday. I have spent every day since then switching back and forth between, "Please. I have SO got this," and "OMGSERIOUSLYI'MAFAILUREWHATHAVEIBEENDOINGWITHMYLIFE!!!" Anyone else, or just me?

On a related note, I am no longer allowing myself to drink coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    So, applications went up on Tuesday. I have spent every day since then switching back and forth between, "Please. I have SO got this," and "OMGSERIOUSLYI'MAFAILUREWHATHAVEIBEENDOINGWITHMYLIFE!!!" Anyone else, or just me?

Hahaha, me too. Last year, I got the interview, but that was it. Crossed fingers to at least get the interview again, to start! The suspense is killing me.
    I've been filling my favourite parts of the questionnaire so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post

I know how that feels. When I applied last year, I felt like I had left half my application blank, and was half expecting to not even get an interview. Then I got shortlisted first try with a fantastic placement. My advice is don't sweat it, you have nothing to worry about until you hear about the interview. Just get that application in and start entertaining thoughts of Plan B, then you won't have to stress regardless of the results.

Good luck everyone who's applying this year! You have a long year of stress-filled waiting ahead of you, so practice your breathing exercises and brace yourselves for everything turning out alright! It's interesting to hear that everything has been pushed forward this year. Hopefully that will relieve a little of the stress of waiting for the Interview/Interview results.

Good luck guys. For Vancouver applicants, your coordinator Steve is a super nice guy and really helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

It's hard to believe that it was a year ago that I was applying for the JET Program, yet here I am sitting at my desk at one of my ES eating kyuushoku.

If anyone has any questions, don't be afraid to ask. I went through the Calgary Consulate, so if anyone from the prairies has a region specific question, please ask! Your coordinator will be Brandon and he is a very good guy to feel with!

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    It is for all countries. Tokyo side is asking for more time to process paperwork, so everything worldwide has been pushed forward one month.

For example, u.s. interviews traditionally took place in late february, but now tokyo wants all the interview information in their hands by the start of feb, which means we need to do interviews either the last week of jan, or 1st week of feb.

Miami for example did interviews last year 2/21-28, this year we are doing them 1/26-30.

You will see everything moved forward a bit, except maybe placement notification
    Does this mean that the re-contracting decision deadline for us current JETs is going to be moved forward, too, I wonder...?

Good luck to everyone applying this year!
    I'm an Atlantic Canadian JET currently on my second year, so if there are any Atlantic Canadians reading this, feel free to message me!

Quote Originally Posted by nlChristina View Post
    Does this mean that the re-contracting decision deadline for us current JETs is going to be moved forward, too, I wonder...?

Good luck to everyone applying this year!
    I'm an Atlantic Canadian JET currently on my second year, so if there are any Atlantic Canadians reading this, feel free to message me!
    I think that depends on the BoE right? Mine just gave me my recontracting application last week and it is due January 15th, 2015.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

January 15 would be 2 weeks early if it's the regular page they've given out in previous years.

My BoE always gives out a paper around this time, due in early december asking for a preliminary commitment before filling out the final form in january.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

If anyone has questions about Toronto consulate, I can do my best to answer!