Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Results 561 to 577 of 577

Thread: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

  1. #561
    Member fairiehearts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it as a municipal. You need the least hand holding as far as JETs are concerned, as there are other ALTs near by usually, as well as being within the city boundaries. Prefectuals should be worried by now, but municipals you know where you're goin, let everything be a surprise :P
    Mainly I'm responding as part of x_stei's supposed assumption (at least that is how I took it) that it was due to being either a prefectural jet or an alternate for not receiving any information from their CO.

    At this point I'm mostly interested in getting information on my apartment than anything else, as many of my friends and family have already booked their flights to Japan and I would like to help them in seeing how accommodating I can be in the housing department (I've actually scoured through some of the apartment rental sites in Japan, to give me a ball park figure of what I could be getting).

  2. #562

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Yeah, it's tough to figure out what time and place is best for visitors to come right now. Without school info, it's kind of a guessing game of when it's the most convenient time to take nenkyuu as well. Has anybody heard or noticed what time in spring is best to come? There's probably a common exam time for most schools.

  3. #563

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    So I have a mediocre getting slightly outdated laptop. Is it worth bringing to Japan. Any thoughts?

  4. #564

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by manassah View Post
    So I have a mediocre getting slightly outdated laptop. Is it worth bringing to Japan. Any thoughts?
    I have a similar issue. I love my laptop but it does very little other than browse the web and run MS office.

    I think I'm going to bring it and buy something there if I find I want to game and have time to do so.

  5. #565
    Member Saga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ehime
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    I'm in the same boat. I figure I'll bring it and use it until it dies or becomes too outdated to function. I can't really afford a new laptop at the moment with having to save up for Japan! If you can afford to get one, I say do it, so you can avoid having to find a laptop with a US keyboard in Japan, which I've heard can be a little hard. But if you can't afford a new one, bring your old one. That way you can maybe avoid having to use slow school computers. For gaming, I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy a PS4 in Japan. I'm still debating on whether or not to ship my PS3 to myself...

  6. #566

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by manassah View Post
    So I have a mediocre getting slightly outdated laptop. Is it worth bringing to Japan. Any thoughts?
    Bring it. Get a SSD in a few months and put Windows 10 on it. Or if it's really out of date, try experimenting with some lightweight linux.

  7. #567

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Bring it. Get a SSD in a few months and put Windows 10 on it. Or if it's really out of date, try experimenting with some lightweight linux.
    Agreed.

    I pulled out my primary HDD in my laptop (750GB) and replaced it with a 120GB SSD and it was one of my best life decisions. I will never run an OS on a HDD by choice again. That boot up time and reliability is amazing. I also replaced the optical drive with the 750GB SSD so I have a secondary drive for data (photos, video, series, etc.). For this reason, my laptop is by far the most reliable of my computers. It just doesn't run games nicely due to the graphics card being abused for 4 years.

  8. #568
    Cute Frankenstein genkispirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    #mac4lyfe

    My advice would be to keep your current rig until you move to Japan and buy one there. Just be aware all the PCs distributed there are going to be in Japanese. So you may want to have your OEM Windows Disk kicking around to wipe the HDD and put on English Windows if your Japanese isn't the greatest. The power cables are also going to be different voltage/amps in Japan, 100V I believe, North America is 120V. While the device will still plugin "natively" to a socket the outlet will not give the same Voltage and it could strain your North American components. Just something to be aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Shelley
    What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    True; proper neckbeardery would require a lengthy, defensive response, absolving you of guilt and berating my comment as a slanderous and arrogant indecency akin to the Holocaust.

  9. #569

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    The power cables are also going to be different voltage/amps in Japan, 100V I believe, North America is 120V. While the device will still plugin "natively" to a socket the outlet will not give the same Voltage and it could strain your North American components. Just something to be aware of.
    This is a non-issue unless you have some terrible knock-off power supply, in which case you're probably up a creek anyways. If yours is CE rated, it'll be fine to up to +/-10% voltage variation over what the label says at minimum. So pretty much all 100-240v power supplies are just fine - if it's got a AC/DC transformer or even a DC/DC step-down transformer, it should be fine. Natively so if you have a 100-240v psu like nearly all laptops these days. The only time this is a real issue is if you have a directly connected (non-rectified) motor - like some hair dryers, hair clippers etc - a 120v/60hz motor will not function well on 100v/50hz - although some now come with transformers/voltage regulators built in.
    Last edited by webstaa; June 26th, 2015 at 14:22.

  10. #570
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    This is a non-issue unless you have some terrible knock-off power supply, in which case you're probably up a creek anyways. If yours is CE rated, it'll be fine to up to +/-10% voltage variation over what the label says at minimum. So pretty much all 100-240v power supplies are just fine - if it's got a AC/DC transformer or even a DC/DC step-down transformer, it should be fine. Natively so if you have a 100-240v psu like nearly all laptops these days. The only time this is a real issue is if you have a directly connected (non-rectified) motor - like some hair dryers, hair clippers etc - a 120v/60hz motor will not function well on 100v/50hz - although some now come with transformers/voltage regulators built in.
    Listen to the man. Webstaa knows his shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  11. #571
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    #mac4lyfe

    My advice would be to keep your current rig until you move to Japan and buy one there. Just be aware all the PCs distributed there are going to be in Japanese. So you may want to have your OEM Windows Disk kicking around to wipe the HDD and put on English Windows if your Japanese isn't the greatest. The power cables are also going to be different voltage/amps in Japan, 100V I believe, North America is 120V. While the device will still plugin "natively" to a socket the outlet will not give the same Voltage and it could strain your North American components. Just something to be aware of.
    Unnecessary, win 8.1 is multi lingual, and win ten is truly multi lingual
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  12. #572

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    I just wish windows 10's full release date was before July 29...

  13. #573
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    I just wish windows 10's full release date was before July 29...

    Do any upgrade now to technical preview over a valid install of 8 or 7. When full version comes out it'll convert to your appropriate type. Doneskies.

    (I have been assured that this path will work many times, and is currently the path I'm taking on my old tablet laptop)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  14. #574

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    valid install
    arr matey

  15. #575
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    <VALID INSTALL> arr matey
    I'm not even sure that is required. I did a technical preview install from ARRR MATEY Windows 7 and everything worked fine. Microsoft just doesn't give 2 shits anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  16. #576
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I'm not even sure that is required. I did a technical preview install from ARRR MATEY Windows 7 and everything worked fine. Microsoft just doesn't give 2 shits anymore.
    It'll probably shit out when it tries to move from technical preview to regular mode. It doesn't seem like there's anything bad with that though, so long as you continually update the system.

    It's kinda cool actually, looks like MS has realized the pirates are here to stay, so let them beta test the latest and greatest features while the rest of the plebes have the standard licensed version without all the test bugs in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  17. #577
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    It'll probably shit out when it tries to move from technical preview to regular mode. It doesn't seem like there's anything bad with that though, so long as you continually update the system.

    It's kinda cool actually, looks like MS has realized the pirates are here to stay, so let them beta test the latest and greatest features while the rest of the plebes have the standard licensed version without all the test bugs in it.
    Oh I went back and read it. It's a specific program that they've implemented for people like me. I will always be testing the beta updates as you say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates
    “It’s easier for our software to compete with Linux when there’s piracy than when there’s not."


    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates
    "They'll get addicted, and then we'll collect"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •