Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Australian 2015 JETS

Default Aspiring Australian 2015 JETS

Are there any Australians out there applying for the JET Programme for the 2015-2016 round? Applications are out! I am so nervous and excited

Deadline's on the 21st November (Friday)

Default Re: Aspiring Australian 2015 JETS

Hi bxp!
    Melbourne applicant here. Graduating uni in a few weeks, so i've got a mixture of excitement from that and finally being able to apply for JET. It's going to be a long process but hopefully everyone does their best.

Good luck guys.

Hey guys, go for it! I'm currently working in Jet (and an Aussies) so thought I'd drop by and say I'll help out with SOPs if your keen since they seem to be the same as when I applied. I know there's an SOP thread, but can't be arsed reading through it all and since they differ between countries a bit thought 'd limit myself to Australia.

Exam time at school from Monday, so I'll have time to read them. PM away. Just keep in Mind that its a statement of purpse, so what you ant to accomplish with JET and stuff like that.

Hey guys! Applicant here from Sydney. Pretty nervous with the application. It is monstrous.

Thanks for the offer to help Tetsamajigger.

What was the interview experience like? I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself here but I'd just like to be prepared early in any case. Did they ask you to do a lesson during the interview?

The interview was pretty much like any interview for a Job. Nerve racking. You vs a table of 3 I think it was. Luckily on the whole everyone is genuinely friendly and if you remember to relax and be yourself you'll go well.

Mine was in Perth and I believe it can be different from state to state. I didn't have to do a lesson, but that could change. As far as I'm aware none of the people that I met had to do a lesson in their interview. I did get asked how I would do a lesson on Australian Culture, so I just threw out some pretty weak ideas. I hated that question. What exactly is Australian culture? Multiculturalism? BBQs? Koalas? They do understand that you are on the spot though so everything that comes from your mouth is probably not gonna be gold. Good thing for me on that point.

The good news for those who make it to the interview is; You know all the answers to the questions they will ask as you provided them with the information they currently have.

All they know about you is what you said in your SOP, what your references told them and what's in the application form. They will ask you something about your SOP, so make sure you know it well.

21st November deadline? They keep getting earlier an earlier.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsamajigger View Post
    I did get asked how I would do a lesson on Australian Culture, so I just threw out some pretty weak ideas. I hated that question. What exactly is Australian culture? Multiculturalism? BBQs? Koalas.
    As an American, I feel pretty confident that I could give a lesson in Australian culture, but probably no actual Australian would appreciate my crocodile Dundee accent.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    As an American, I feel pretty confident that I could give a lesson in Australian culture, but probably no actual Australian would appreciate my crocodile Dundee accent.
    Ditto; on the American front

National Police Check finally came in the mail after what felt like ages. But the results for my CoH should at least be in by the end of the week. Everything's coming up Milhouse.

Any of you folks also trying for early departure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsamajigger
    What exactly is Australian culture? Multiculturalism? BBQs? Koalas?
    Boomerangs? You know, material culture

But eh, that is only partly a joke. I think I'll probably come up with a corresponding lame thing on material culture if I were asked a similiar question. If you're willing to share, what were your "pretty weak ideas"?

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Boomerangs? You know, material culture

But eh, that is only partly a joke. I think I'll probably come up with a corresponding lame thing on material culture if I were asked a similiar question. If you're willing to share, what were your "pretty weak ideas"?
    Well, I'm no longer battling foes, so I'll drop some hints. My weak idea was grab some "Aussie" music, you know, Land Down Under, practise words and have a look at the lyrics. Another was grab a map and have a look at the geography of Australia and see how it has shaped the lifestyle, dry country, sparse population in country areas etc. They'd be horrified by three minute showers for example

I just chucked around a few ideas along those lines and said I'd check them with my teacher and change them depending on the students needs as I adapt classes to students needs. I come from a teaching background, so I wasn't terribly phased at having to come up with some ideas on the fly.

Thanks a lot Tetsuma! Massively appreciate it. Now I just have to get onto fixing my SOP. Urgh. Dreading it.

I'm also an applicant from Sydney! Trying to do all my application work whilst doing last assessments for university. Pretty stressed out.

I also heard that the interviews will be running early next year? Does anyone know if this is true. Just a bit worried because I booked a holiday before the new guidelines came out and thought interviews would be during late february... but according to the guidelines it will happen during January. Any advice for what i should do or am i just worrying ahead of time....

Quote Originally Posted by blackxpetals View Post
    I'm also an applicant from Sydney! Trying to do all my application work whilst doing last assessments for university. Pretty stressed out.

I also heard that the interviews will be running early next year? Does anyone know if this is true. Just a bit worried because I booked a holiday before the new guidelines came out and thought interviews would be during late february... but according to the guidelines it will happen during January. Any advice for what i should do or am i just worrying ahead of time....
    I'm in a similar boat. I already have a master's of applied linguistics but I'm doing a second master's at the moment. Had an exam tonight. So stressful studying for it with my JET application in the back of my mind!

I would take the guidelines at face value. I have no idea when they'll be apart from the guidelines though, but reading a lot of information about other countries and Aus it seems that JET sticks pretty firmly to the dates it sets out.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The american guidelines and canadian guidelines are up. They should give you a reasonable time frame to guess from. According to the Miami coordinator, tokyo wants the info earlier this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Hey Australians! Does anyone know how long it takes to get a police check here? I'm from Sydney and plan to get it tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take to long as i plan to have my application sent out next week if all goes well.

How is everyone doing with their application?

Mine was done with VicPol and it took just a little over 2 weeks to show up. If you don't get yours in time, you can just bring it along when you go for your interview.

App wise, my SOP's getting the final touches, and my reference writers almost forgot until i reminded them (yeesh), but everything should be sent off by Monday.

Where'd you aussies all put down for your placement requests? I just put down Osaka considering the whole sister city thing it's got going on with Melbs. But honestly fairly unconcerned about where i get put otherwise.

I put down Nara and Fukuoka because they sound like great places - and i will be visiting them early next year. But i honestly don't care where i go as long as i do get the opportunity to go

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackxpetals View Post
    But i honestly don't care where i go as long as i do get the opportunity to go
    Why? Genuine question, not trying to rattle you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Not sure whether you're asking me why i want to go to Japan or why i don't care where i get placed. But to answer the latter, it's because i don't know anything about Japan, so i don't really know what one city has more to offer than another. Plus i'm a very adaptable person so i can pretty much find myself comfortable in a city with a lot of people, or one where there's less than 5000 people. Ultimately, wherever i do get placed will still offer me a different experience from what i'm living now and that's what i want.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

That's a good reason, and actually quite reassuring. I've heard (and seen) too many people disappointed by where they ended up in Japan because they'd assumed that 'anywhere' would automatically mean somewhere easy to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.