Thread: Certificate of Health

Default Certificate of Health

OK so I know I should wait until the application is open to ask, but what kind of things do you need to get a certificate of health for? obviously chronic conditions like asthma or allergies, but what about a simple surgery that is not for a recurring thing? and is it really only for approximately the last 5 years?

Default Re: Certificate of Health

It's not something you need to stress about. Privacy laws in pretty much anywhere but Japan will keep you from having to worry about sh*t that you don't want to report. If you had your appendix removed a couple of years ago but don't want to deal with reporting it, then get some random GP to fill out your health form and think nothing more of it.

If you had gender reassignment surgery last month, though, you might hafta jump through a few extra hoops.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

What Word says is true. If it will affect your time in Japan (not just your ability to do the job, mind), you should declare it. If it won't, you don't have to, but if they later find out about it (your doctor mentions it when you don't is the usual one) it may prevent you going out, even if you've already been selected.
    ...because Japan.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmagnolia View Post
    OK so I know I should wait until the application is open to ask, but what kind of things do you need to get a certificate of health for? obviously chronic conditions like asthma or allergies, but what about a simple surgery that is not for a recurring thing? and is it really only for approximately the last 5 years?
    There are 4 medical forms you need to know about.

1) self assessment medical form(required by everyone during time of application)

2) physicians form(required to be filled out by a doctor during the application if you have certain medical conditions)

3) certificate of health(only required at the application IF you are going for early departure. If you are not applying for early departure, then you will only need to submit this after you are short listed in april)

4) yakkan shomei (medication import form you will need to submit to take more than a months supply of your prescription medication)

The instructions state that you must list all conditions you have been diagnosed with. Some people will follow those instructions, others selectively choose what they reveal to us because they think it will hurt their chances if they have X condition.

Antonath is 100% correct that if we find out you have misled us on any part of your application, you can be kicked out of the program(before departure). It is up to you if you want to risk it or not. Just remember that if you are short listed, you will be required to submit your COH, which may list things that you "forgot" to mention because you didnt think it was a big deal.

So I suppose they don't really care about non-reoccurring childhood illnesses? I wish they had a "in the last 5 years" rule going on, because a lot of information just doesn't seem pertinent!

this health stuff is confusing. does it look bad to list things that might not be an issue just to be on the safe side?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmagnolia View Post
    this health stuff is confusing. does it look bad to list things that might not be an issue just to be on the safe side?
    It would depend on your idea of what might not be an issue. Something you think might not be an issue could cause you problems in japan. For example, lets say you broke your ankle when you were 8. You think "ah, that has nothing to do with teaching, i wont list it." Then you are shortlisted and assigned to a very hilly/mountainous village where you have to go up and down many stairs/hills daily. I broke my ankle in january and it did not heal the same. I would be miserable if i needed to go walk up and down hills all day. This could have been avoided if i was placed in a more urban area that relied more on me biking and taking the trains. Granted, thats just an example, but you see where i am going with this.

What is it you are confused about? You can pm me if you have specific questions.

What I'm confused about is listing the reason for the last time I went to the doctor (an ear infection last month), then dealing with the question following that. I messaged the embassy and they said not to list minor things, so I've put that section as N/A (in other words, I've had nothing beyond a minor flu in the past five years). But obviously I went to the doctor last month. I'm not sure what to do with that.
    Last edited by Verbatim; October 23rd, 2014 at 01:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
    What I'm confused about is listing the reason for the last time I went to the doctor (an ear infection last month), then dealing with the question following that. I messaged the embassy and they said not to list minor things, so I've put that section as N/A (in other words, I've had nothing beyond a minor flu in the past five years). But obviously I went to the doctor last month. I'm not sure what to do with that.
    Verbatim,

What I think they meant is not to list minor things when it comes to the "conditions you have had in the past 5 years" part. If the last time you went to the doctor was for the ear infection, just list it, and you will be fine. I assure you that you will not get grilled over some bad ear eax. No worries.

-MC

Hi MC,

Thanks for reassuring me! When I said "question following that", that was the section I was referring to. I thought since I went to the doctor last month, I would also have to list that in medical conditions and then have a doctor sign off on it, etc. I'm probably worrying too much, but my worst fear is that my application will be thrown out!

Thanks again :-)
    Last edited by Verbatim; October 23rd, 2014 at 01:22.