Thread: Getting an Official Transcript

Default Getting an Official Transcript

Ordered my transcripts last week and received them already. Forgot about the 'Issued to Student' stamp on it that would make it quite obviously unofficial. Since it obviously has to go somewhere I can get it, what does everyone recommend? Would putting 'Embassy of Japan, c/o The JET Desk' in the addressee box and still using my own address be enough? Or should I use the Embassy bit and then something like my sister's address, so it's not on file with the school as related to me? Should I not use the Embassy's name at all? How did everyone else get their transcripts?

Default Re: Getting an Official Transcript

Your official transcripts should come in a sealed envelope with a stamp and signature over the seal. You might want to call and make sure you're ordering Official Transcripts instead of unofficial ones.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Your official transcripts should come in a sealed envelope with a stamp and signature over the seal. You might want to call and make sure you're ordering Official Transcripts instead of unofficial ones.
    This is correct. Do not send transcripts seperately to DC because thats how things get lost. As long as the official transcripts come in a sealed envelope, that is what you include with your application.

My school also did this, as long as it's sealed and an official copy (which it sounds like it is), you're fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

For the Canadian application we actually HAVE to open them and scan them for online upload. Interesting how it varies.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    This is correct. Do not send transcripts seperately to DC because thats how things get lost. As long as the official transcripts come in a sealed envelope, that is what you include with your application.
    I definitely know not to send it to Ottawa. And it most definitely came in a sealed envelope, because it came in the mail, and there's no other way for mail to come. My concern is whether or not the copy with 'issued to student' on it is acceptable, as it states across the bottom that issuing a transcript to a student makes an official transcript 'unofficial'. So, even though it's the exact same document as would be sent to a third party, does the stamp invalidate this copy for usage in my JET application?

Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    I definitely know not to send it to Ottawa. And it most definitely came in a sealed envelope, because it came in the mail, and there's no other way for mail to come. My concern is whether or not the copy with 'issued to student' on it is acceptable, as it states across the bottom that issuing a transcript to a student makes an official transcript 'unofficial'. So, even though it's the exact same document as would be sent to a third party, does the stamp invalidate this copy for usage in my JET application?
    A lot of official requested transcripts have this stamp on them. My university's official transcript doesn't but upon a request for an official transcript from the college I transferred from I received a stamp on it saying "STUDENT COPY." Usually if transcripts come in the mail they are official transcripts while transcripts you can download online from your student account are unofficial. That's the general rule-of-thumb. I would simply contact your institution to clarify if the transcript is, indeed, official and if it is then no extra pain on your part. I know I'll be submitting an official transcript copy that reads STUDENT COPY on it so I'm thinking yours may be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tobio View Post
    A lot of official requested transcripts have this stamp on them. My university's official transcript doesn't but upon a request for an official transcript from the college I transferred from I received a stamp on it saying "STUDENT COPY." Usually if transcripts come in the mail they are official transcripts while transcripts you can download online from your student account are unofficial. That's the general rule-of-thumb. I would simply contact your institution to clarify if the transcript is, indeed, official and if it is then no extra pain on your part. I know I'll be submitting an official transcript copy that reads STUDENT COPY on it so I'm thinking yours may be the same thing.
    Thanks, dude. I just wanted to make sure that a) it wasn't essentially like a void cheque and therefore useless for actual things, and b) York wasn't off being its own universe and no one else was seeing what I was seeing. The latter seemed to happen with alarming frequency when I was there.

Glad to help

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Default Getting an Official Transcript

Although you seemed to have it figured it out, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I worked in the records department at a college and dealt with incoming and outgoing transcripts. The only reason it says "issued to student" is because they mailed it directly to you rather than some other party (some schools or programs, for security reasons, only accept transcripts that are mailed directly from the college to them). It doesn't mean that it's not valid, so no worries. They will often stamp it this way of the student picks it up in person from the registrar's office as well.
    Last edited by hypatia; October 1st, 2014 at 19:48.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic