Page 1 of 88 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring US JETs 2015

Default Aspiring US JETs 2015

Hey y'all. I figure I would get the ball rolling with the "Aspiring US JETs 2015" thread. Introduce yourselves and let us know where you're from/which embassy you're applying to, how many times you've applied to JET and maybe a weird fact or two. And current/past JETs, please feel to chime in with your sage or not-so-sage advice on the roller coaster ride that is going through the JET application process.

Anyway, I'm naginataonthebrain. I'm 23, female and just graduated from a fancy schmancy liberal arts college in MA with a B.A. in East Asian Studies. This will be my second time applying to JET (didn't make it to the interview stage, womp womp). Hopefully, with the help of some folks here at ITIL, I can fix up my SoP and do better this year. Oh, and I'm from Alabama and will be applying through the Atlanta consulate. My (not so) weird fact is that I often would go to my Japanese professor's office hours just so we could talk about college football because she was the only person on campus who gave a shit. Mind you, she is a Tokyo native. She was an Ohio State fan, so we didn't fight too much haha (btw, I'm an Alabama fan...roll tide!).
    Last edited by naginataonthebrain; October 3rd, 2014 at 06:08.

Default Re: Aspiring US JETs 2015

Hi! I'm 27 and graduating from the University of Washington in Seattle at the end of this fall quarter after having taken 4 years off from school. This will be my first time applying and I will be applying at the Seattle Consulate. My major is Drama, with a focus on costumes, hair and makeup, however I have a soft spot for cultural anthropology.

Something about myself other than that... I played soccer for 12 years and have been sewing and knitting for about 20 years. When I go out to restaurants I like to order either the oddest thing on the menu or something that I dont know what it is.

Ah, I spent this past June in Seattle participating in a career boot camp of sorts called Koru. I absolutely loved my time in Seattle and I'm actually applying for a couple of jobs there (not trying to put all my eggs in the JET basket this year). Also, the UW campus is quite lovely. Possibly thinking about applying there for grad school in the future. Anyway, nice to meet you and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
    Hi! I'm 27 and graduating from the University of Washington in Seattle at the end of this fall quarter after having taken 4 years off from school. This will be my first time applying and I will be applying at the Seattle Consulate. My major is Drama, with a focus on costumes, hair and makeup, however I have a soft spot for cultural anthropology.

Something about myself other than that... I played soccer for 12 years and have been sewing and knitting for about 20 years. When I go out to restaurants I like to order either the oddest thing on the menu or something that I dont know what it is.
    If everything works out for the both of us then you'll probably see me. I'm 24 and recently graduated from the University of Washington as well. It's my first time applying and my interest started a couple years back when a professor mentioned being on the program way back when. Did a lot of lurking and reading through forums and such on Japan and JET for the last 2 years, so I'd like to think I'm not going in blind.

This'll also be my second year applying. I got alternate last year so I'm hoping to make it through all the way this time. I'll be applying from DC and probably going for early departure because apparently I hate myself and love extra stress. Good luck everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Ah, I spent this past June in Seattle participating in a career boot camp of sorts called Koru. I absolutely loved my time in Seattle and I'm actually applying for a couple of jobs there (not trying to put all my eggs in the JET basket this year). Also, the UW campus is quite lovely. Possibly thinking about applying there for grad school in the future. Anyway, nice to meet you and good luck!
    I'm not originally from Seattle, but I have been here for the last 6 years. I think it's one of the best places to live so good luck to you for both JET and potentially grad school and a job in Seattle/at UW!

Hello everyone. I'm 26, male and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a BA in Communications. This will be my second time applying. Last year I was asked for an interview, but I had to pull out early before it took place. Long story short: At that time I was teaching English in Prague and it would've put my job at risk to fly to New York City for the interview on short notice. Let's just say working as a freelance English teacher in The Czech Republic is complicated. I know now that I should've just gone forth and given it a go anyways, but hindsight is always 20/20.

In any case, I've been teaching English abroad for a few years now, but I've been waiting for the right moment to do JET ever since I graduated. I'm hoping to make it happen this time around. I'm applying through the NYC consulate again, though at the moment I'm teaching in Germany (and I won't be making the same mistake again). Learning two languages at once is not easy (Japanese and German) so I'm hoping my lack of improvement in Japanese from last year won't hurt my application too much.

Strange fact: I sometimes like sleeping with my socks on. I know I know, I'm a rebel. But another stranger fact: I'm a total bidet convert. People think it's gross or weird until they've tried one, but trust me: You'll feel incredibly clean (though it is sensible to be wary of some public bidets). The first one I used was in the Seoul Gimpo airport with a warmed seat, UV rays, heated fans, the whole works. My life was forever changed at that moment.
    Last edited by ticktockticktock; October 4th, 2014 at 08:09.

Hello everybody!

I am reapplying this year! I didn't make it in last year, but this year will be different! I had some great new experiences in my life. I got a great job at an international company AND I was promoted right after training! Haha! Can't wait to really dig in this year!

Hello! This is my first post as well as my first time applying for JET. I'm 22, female, graduating in December and I'll be applying out of Denver. I'm both nervous and excited waiting for the application to become available, and although I've gathered most of the extra materials, save for the reference letters, the deadline already seems too close.

I wish everyone the best of luck!

So...who wants to start a betting pool on when the online application form will open? I want to say tomorrow because it's already a month till the deadline but you never know with JET.

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    So...who wants to start a betting pool on when the online application form will open? I want to say tomorrow because it's already a month till the deadline but you never know with JET.
    Deadline for our group (2014) was postponed until December. So you definitely never know. But it's been said that it should be this week.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    Deadline for our group (2014) was postponed until December. So you definitely never know. But it's been said that it should be this week.
    Really? I definitely remember last year's deadline pushback was mid-November because of the government shutdown. Well, whatever, I hope you're right and that it will come out this week. I'm ready to fill those suckers out.

Banned

Yeah I think the original date was November 25 and it was pushed back to December 3 or something. It gave me an extra week to put off writing my sop until the last possible second.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Yeah I think the original date was November 25 and it was pushed back to December 3 or something. It gave me an extra week to put off writing my sop until the last possible second.
    That is correct...

ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE
    RECEIVED BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE:
    5:30PM EST, DECEMBER 3, 2013

As the email went.

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Hi everyone!

26, recent graduate this summer with a B.A. in Liberal Studies technically, only because my school does not have a full blown Sociology or Geography program, instead I got a minor in Sociology and a ton of cultural geography and history credits under my belt lol. Did the university thing for 3 years before leaving/getting academic suspension since I was not happy and had no goals for a degree, instead of going back right away after not being able to take summer classes I took a 2 year break. Eventually after wandering the earth... ok east coast USA and Canada, I ran into some awesome people who got me back on track and to boot, told me about programs like JET, Ineract, EPIK and what not and said it would be right up my ally. So I went back to school with these teaching abroad programs as my partial goal. Since then I've finally found things I am interested in such as modern sociology, cultural geography and ancient Asia history but want to expand my horizons by actually living over there School ended for me in June and I've just been making ends meat by teaching guitar lessons to people of all ages and helping with organizing local events like our Brew Fest (yay a weekend of free beer!) and more. Local events really became an enjoyable hobby as someone who hated this small city growing up. Even got to help out with some big events like EVO in Las Vegas this year, the worlds biggest fighting game tournament. Got to meet awesome people like the creator of Street Fighter 4 and Tekken, use my shotty beginner level Japanese with Daigo himself and more. Really gave me that spark to apply again after being pretty disappointed last winter.

Definite life turn around on multiple levels after taking time off from school.

Something random...mmm. Even though I teach guitar now I hated playing this instrument, I prefer the trombone of all things haha. My mom forced it on me in 6th grade and I wanted to quit, even gave it to my brother when he moved out of the house just so I did not have to look at it. After being in college for awhile and finally finding music I liked I picked it up again. Also really have a passion for video games, not so much playing them though, more the discussion of the industry and various social aspects gaming brings to modern society. Really interesting stuff and gearing my papers and presentations towards this during my final years of school, when not doing stuff on Japan/China/Korea, netted me some surprisingly high grades! Got a 99 on a philosophy paper about Dark Souls bwahaha.

Oh and I like writing a lot if you could not tell I regularly write and contribute articles for fighting game websites about events, players, and opinion pieces but also started my own personal media review tumblr/blog thingy just because its relaxing to do, not really to show anyone.

Yo~ you can just call me Fray. I'm graduating this spring with a BA in Asian and Asian American studies. If my school had offered it I would have pursued Rhetoric and Composition (my intended major for grad school), so as it is I've settled happily with a Writing minor. I also work for my university's Writing Center. I'm a bit older (just turned 29) since I took several years off to go work various jobs, primarily working in a bookstore. I'm really into video games and currently having a moral crisis since it's the middle of the semester and I can really only afford one game, but I'm torn between Hyrule Warriors and Super Smash Bros.; first-world problems, right? Anyway, I'm a New York native, so I'll be applying through the NYC Consulate. Good luck everyone!

What's with all the people enrolling in schools that don't offer the major they wanted?
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Hello fellow aspiring JETs!

I'm 30 years old (frayedflower is no longer the oldest) and male. This past spring I finished my Masters in Education from Portland State University, where I also received my B.S. in Social Sciences, and can finally apply to JET for the first time (have wanted to apply for years, but made a promise to myself to finish "all" of my education before doing so.). I'm currently working as a child development/soccer skills coach for two to eight year olds (and realized that I've now worked with every grade from pre-k to high school seniors). I'm a concert photographer when i'm not working, mostly for the local punk scene and whoever is touring through (which on Halloween will include the Japanese punk band, Forward) the city.

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    That is correct...

ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE
    RECEIVED BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE:
    5:30PM EST, DECEMBER 3, 2013

As the email went.

Ah, now I remember. I sent mine in right before the Nov. deadline and was pissed that they pushed it back another week because I was having second doubts about my SoP but whoops, too late.

As you can see from my username, I'm a 2014 alternate candidate. I'm applying again this year for the second time! I will also be applying through DC, so moonbeam, please do really poor on the interview! Just kidding!

I became an ESL teacher in addition to my regular job just for an extra leg up on the JET program.

If I don't get in this year, I'm going to apply to Interac, Aeon, Altia, James English School, etc. because waiting sucks, especially over a year... Anyone else applying to the other companies too?
    2014 DC alternate
    2015 DC shortlist