Thread: Early Placement?

Default Early Placement?

Hi guys! It's been a long time. I'm a past JET who is thinking of applying again for 2015. I was looking over the info and came across this early placement option. I figured it could be a good option for me since I've done the job before and wouldn't really need the orientation or to be hand-held through relocating to Japan. Has anybody had any experience with this. I assume these early placements come open as a result of another JET deciding to leave early. Does this mean you'll be going into a bad situation? Thoughts?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Early Placement?

Quote Originally Posted by krayziesensei View Post
    Hi guys! It's been a long time. I'm a past JET who is thinking of applying again for 2015. I was looking over the info and came across this early placement option. I figured it could be a good option for me since I've done the job before and wouldn't really need the orientation or to be hand-held through relocating to Japan. Has anybody had any experience with this. I assume these early placements come open as a result of another JET deciding to leave early. Does this mean you'll be going into a bad situation? Thoughts?
    Hi there krayziesensei, I will be happy to shed some light on this for you.

As you mentioned, Early Placement is something that is relatively new. We have only been doing it for a few years. There really aren't nearly as many Early Departure placements as there are regular placements, but if you qualify, there is no harm in applying.

There are a variety of reasons for early placement positions opening up. As you said, there is always the chance that the area is less than deisreable, and your pred bailed early, but you still take this chance with regular departure. It could very well just be that there is nothing wrong with the area, but your pred had a family emergency, or got offered a better job elswhere, and the CO wants the position filled in earlier than July/August. Another possibility is that a CO decided they want to have a JET and missed the previous deadline for the year before, so they are asking for one now. There really too many possibilities to worry too much about it. If there are no positions for early departure, then you will be lumped with the regular departure anyway.

Also, I noticed you are a previous JET, while there may be some things that are very similar to when you applied, there are a few things that will be dramatically different for the 2015 cycle. For example, CLAIR is doing away with the 24 hour help line. JETs will now be required to work directly with their COs if any problems were to arise. The AJET support skype line will still function, but CLAIR has been trying to distance themselves from being officially associated with AJET as of recently. Those of you at the trainng this year noticed the lack of AJET presentations, that is the reason. It may not be a bad idea to get a refresher course on how a few things work now.

Good luck,
    -MC

I am also interested in the early placement, but I'm not a previous JET. I have lived in Japan before, so is it a bad idea to not get the orientation?

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    I am also interested in the early placement, but I'm not a previous JET. I have lived in Japan before, so is it a bad idea to not get the orientation?
    You will find divided opinions on this issue. There are those who feel that orientations(pre departure, tokyo and prefectural) are a complete waste of time, and others that genuinely enjoyed them. While some of the workshops do deal with life in japan, many of incoming participants, like you, already have some experience already living in japan. Because of this, there is a more a shift for workshops dealing specifically with jet job duties, which would benefit everyone.

It doesnt hurt to apply for early departure if you qualify. Will it be the end of the world if you dont get a fancy 3 day tokyo orientation? Probably not. I do believe though there are important things you can learn at the orientations, but honestly, most people are just excited to be starting this new chapter of their life and dont remember much of what is taught anyway, even if may be important.

Haha, I see. Thank you. I imagine orientation is also a great way to meet other JETs.

Is there any way to go to orientation once you're there, though? For example take a few days off for it and then going back?

Haha, I see. Thank you. I imagine orientation is also a great way to meet other JETs.

Is there any way to go to orientation once you're there, though? For example take a few days off for it and then going back?
    You would have to take that up with your Contracting Organization since it is expensive to put you up in keio plaza for a couple days, plus transportation costs. Im guessing this would be unlikely.

Alright, good to know.

I imagine orientation is also a great way to meet other JETs.
    I think you'll be good friends with some of the JETs you meet from the consulate you apply through. If you did go to an orientation, it is likely that you'll hang out with and keep in contact with a few of them. I plan to visit some of the JETs I met from my consulate over winter break. So yeah you do miss out on that.

But the other group of people you'll get to know are the JETs you meet through prefectural meetings (assuming you don't live near any that go to the same school etc that is).

That's been my experience anyways.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Also, I just want to mention, five ALTs from my prefecture left their JET positions this March, and all of them were because they found other jobs in Japan. Because the Japanese school year starts in April, that's when most full-time teaching jobs begin. So if you're doing an early arrival the chances are probably higher (not guaranteed, of course) that your predecessor decided to take another job opportunity than that they left because of a bad situation.

Thanks for the informative responses. I'm definitely leaning towards Early Placement.

Early departures may not be able to go to Tokyo Orientation, but I'd guess you would be able to attend prefectural orientation, which is probably more useful anyway.

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you all for the answers.

I think I'm also leaning towards it, since I don't have school to stop me from getting there early.

How different is it for the CIR position, though?

Banned

As useless as Tokyo orientation is for ALTs, I imagine it has to be ten times worse for a CIR.

Really the only reason you would want to go Tokyo first is to get it out of your system so you don't have to trek out there some other time. Three free nights in Keio is pretty swank even with bunk mates.