Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TweedPawn's Hangout for Second Chances

Default TweedPawn's Hangout for Second Chances

Hi everybody!

Didn't make it last year? Join the club! Let's really support each other the second time around! There is only one requirement for this thread: constant drive for self-improvement! Let's reaaaalllly tear into our SOPS, Interview Strategies, and laugh at the terrible things we wrote and said last year!

Spoon-fed conversation:

How HAVE you changed since your last attempt? I really ripped my SOP apart this time around and I'm ready to get some extra opinions on it!

Default Re: TweedPawn's Hangout for Second Chances

Yeah, let's do it this year!
    As for me, I've tried to improve my Japanese, although not to the point of feeling confident enough to try for JLPT N1! I'm not too worried about the application part yet: I'm shooting for passing the interview this time!

Yeah, I'm applying for JLPT4 this year. It feels weird to have so many tweaks done on my application already. I'm not being obsessive, but I changed up a lot from last year because I got a shiny job and then was promoted as "super special supervisor administrator kami tech guru".

I didn't even get the interview last year. I was super bummed out. I'm not sure how to mention that I'm taking JLPT N5 on my application. Should I even bother?

I'm in the odd situation of reapplying after having been put on the backup list in 2009. I wouldn't have hired me back then either, to be honest. At the time I'd barely worn a suit before, and probably looked more like I was going to a funeral than an interview.

This time I'm going to dazzle them with a better tie. And a drastically different application. And, hopefully, my Japanese, as I'll be applying as a CIR.

I can't quite remember....is there a section on the application where you have to confess if you've applied before?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Japam View Post
    I'm in the odd situation of reapplying after having been put on the backup list in 2009. I wouldn't have hired me back then either, to be honest. At the time I'd barely worn a suit before, and probably looked more like I was going to a funeral than an interview.

This time I'm going to dazzle them with a better tie. And a drastically different application. And, hopefully, my Japanese, as I'll be applying as a CIR.

I can't quite remember....is there a section on the application where you have to confess if you've applied before?
    Yes, there is a question that asks if you have applied/participated before.

Yes, I'm all for this thread! In terms of how I have changed since last year's application cycle, I have taught at a Japanese-immersion camp in rural Minnesota, as well as participating in a business boot camp of sorts at a startup in Seattle called Koru. Last week was the first time I re-read my SoP since I submitted it and wow, do I sound arrogant in certain parts. However, probably the biggest difference for me is that this year, I am not going to put all my eggs into one basket. I am going to be applying to other jobs here in the States and not stress out as much (hopefully).

With regards to the JLPT mentioning, Miami might disagree with me (in which case believe them and not me) but I always keep it vague on things that are cool but not overly cool (ie - took JLPT = cool. Only took N5 = not so cool) and then go into great detail if it's something super awesome (ie passed N1 after only 3 months' studying). That's just how I do general job applications though, not just specifically for JET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu View Post
    With regards to the JLPT mentioning, Miami might disagree with me (in which case believe them and not me) but I always keep it vague on things that are cool but not overly cool (ie - took JLPT = cool. Only took N5 = not so cool) and then go into great detail if it's something super awesome (ie passed N1 after only 3 months' studying). That's just how I do general job applications though, not just specifically for JET.
    I don't disagree at all, in fact I think you are correct here Miss_Doitsu when it comes to general job applications. Only problem is, it might be hard to be vague considering the application asks specifically about your level of Japanese ability and if you have any certificates concerning Japanese ability. Listing specific awards, such as the JLPT N5 for example, will give you extra points in the screening process. If you don't pass the initial screening, then you arent making it to the the interview stage. Every little bit counts. For the JET application, it pays to be specific about abilities, and skill sets because you want to stand out amongst the other 5000 people applying.

Speaking specifically about the JLPT, my honest opinion is that anyone can learn how to pass a test and get a good score. Having passed "X" level of the JLPT does not make me think you speak Japanese at a certain level. Does it give me a general idea of what your level is? I guess so, but I personally do not put much stock in JLPT certificates. I have said this before that I have met people who just barely passed the N3, and speak much much better than people who supposedly passed the N2 with flying colors. Some people focus more on reading Japanese, some on speaking, so there are varying levels of ability.

Everyone's Japanese will be tested in the interview regardless. I don't care what certificate level you have because you will get scored on how well you do in the interview, and not by what your JLPT score says.

Going to be applying again this year as well. Have not actively written this years SoP but have been brain storming and outlining a lot thus far. The more I think about it the more frazzled I become haha. Definitely have done a lot around my own community since last year but I don't know if that counts for anything since I am in a small-ish city/town. Current plan is to be honest about all the stuff I do around here and that I actually have some what of an idea of what I am actually applying for.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Speaking specifically about the JLPT, my honest opinion is that anyone can learn how to pass a test and get a good score. Having passed "X" level of the JLPT does not make me think you speak Japanese at a certain level. Does it give me a general idea of what your level is? I guess so, but I personally do not put much stock in JLPT certificates. I have said this before that I have met people who just barely passed the N3, and speak much much better than people who supposedly passed the N2 with flying colors. Some people focus more on reading Japanese, some on speaking, so there are varying levels of ability.

Everyone's Japanese will be tested in the interview regardless. I don't care what certificate level you have because you will get scored on how well you do in the interview, and not by what your JLPT score says.
    I agree with Miami on this a lot. I have very conversational Japanese and many Japanese people think I am far better at speaking than I truly am. I have never taken a JLPT and I probably could just barely pass N3 as I'm still missing a huge amount of vocab and specific grammar. That being said, I met a guy 2 weeks ago who had passed the N2 and he couldn't hold a conversation in Japanese to save his life, and was "jealous" of my ability to just speak and hold a japanese conversation fluidly for hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    ALL THE WORD

I did my thesis at uni on how multiple choice testing for languages just doesn't work. Also, this is the exact reason why I won't take N1. I have the Japanese to work in a Japanese company and keigo it up and write emails and so on, but I don't have the time or patience to sit and memories words and grammar I'll probably only see once in my Japanese speaking life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

I'm getting my application ready again for this year. An alternate last year and that was down to me messing up my interview. Just making minor changes to my SOP as it seemed to go down well last time. Probably just reflect some relevant things I have done since last time. Good luck to all you second timers!

ALL THE WORD

I did my thesis at uni on how multiple choice testing for languages just doesn't work. Also, this is the exact reason why I won't take N1. I have the Japanese to work in a Japanese company and keigo it up and write emails and so on, but I don't have the time or patience to sit and memories words and grammar I'll probably only see once in my Japanese speaking life.
    Haha, you have a point, especially for N1.

So, I am taking the test, but I won't even know the results until months after I submitted my application. I guess I'm trying to figure out when and where I should use it. I'm looking at it like it's simply a little "fun fact" sort of thing. Something to show that I am taking my language studies seriously. But If I get the interview, I suppose I'll be able to have that tested a bit, won't it? It's just the application part that has me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by TweedPawn View Post
    So, I am taking the test, but I won't even know the results until months after I submitted my application. I guess I'm trying to figure out when and where I should use it. I'm looking at it like it's simply a little "fun fact" sort of thing. Something to show that I am taking my language studies seriously. But If I get the interview, I suppose I'll be able to have that tested a bit, won't it? It's just the application part that has me nervous.
    Yes, your Japanese will be tested in the interview. They are constnatly changing the way we test ALT Japanese, so who knows how it will be this year. As for CIR Japanese interviews, we do have a standard set of readings that you need to go through, where you need to answer questions depending on what you read, but after that, it is up to the interview panel. Miami does the full interview in Japanese, some other locations have more English if the panel does not have many native Japanese speakers.

As far as the application part goes, you will only get credit of you can produce a certificate of completion for N(insert number here). Many people include this info in their SoPs since they cannot produce a certificate until after the application anyway.

So, here's another conversation starter:

I recently spoke to someone who has lived in Japan and had friends in JET. This person spoke of JET and Japan as horrible places to live, with abusive managers, abusive peers, and generally sucky experience to go through. The person then commented that I probably don't even have the fortitude to even make it in Japan.

ESID.

While it's easy to take horror stories with a grain of salt, or file them under "don't make Japan to be Unicorn Farts and Rainbows", such negativity can impact motivation or cause self-doubt. How do you guys approach pessimists who mean well, but their experience may have simply been an unfortunate one? To be honest, if it wasn't for lurking on here as long as I have, and knowing JETs IRL myself, I'd be inclined to believe her entirely.

But something has to be working out for some of you advanced members if you guys have managed to stick it out in Japan for more than a year.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Be careful. Some of us old timers likely have similar thoughts to the person you mention, but we likely also have slightly different outlooks on life. Don't dismiss these people however, as their experiences are valuable and important to understand. Japan is not a land of magic tentacle monsters changing into little schoolgirls but country just like any other. It has its ups and it's downs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

^ This. Pretty much every country is going to have stuff that you love about it as well as stuff that drives you crazy, including your own. I mean, even a lot of North Korean refugees say they would go back if they could do it without imprisonment. Just make sure not to leave Japan when you're at the height of culture shock (and no matter who you are, how many friends you have, why you were interested in Japan in the first place, or what kind of work you're doing, it will hit you eventually).

ALL THE WORD

Yeah, this. You'll meet all sorts of people who boast about their N1 certificate but can barely get through a few sentences of conversation.

Also in the business world Japanese tend not to be familiar with the JLPT. (Some are, but even then they are more concerned about your spoken and written Japanese in a business environment, not that you know the proper kanji for every kind of fish or some such shit)

I've never met anyone who has passed N1 and couldn't get through a few sentences of conversation.