Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TweedPawn's Hangout for Second Chances

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: TweedPawn's Hangout for Second Chances

Quote Originally Posted by azguitarist View Post
    I've never met anyone who has passed N1 and couldn't get through a few sentences of conversation.
    N1 maybe, but I've met more than a few N2s who can't hold a conversation beyond the initial statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Hi everyone, second time applicant here. Does anyone know if they ever compare your previous year's SOP with your new one? I got an interview last year, so I feel like I did a pretty good job saying what I wanted on the SOP in a good way my first time around, but I'm not sure if I should rewrite it just in case or just make a few updates. The same goes for recommendations. I know my two letters from last year were good, and both of my references are willing to write me letters again this year, but I'm worried it would look bad to have the same references two years in a row. Also one of them is an old professor, and since this year I've graduated and am no longer a student I'm wondering if it might be better to get a rec from someone else even if it might not be as good. If I do get another interview it would also be at a different consulate if that matters.

Aww yea, re-applying after getting put on the alt. list last year.

So what have I done to improve myself in the last year? I finished my contract in Korea and then moved to Japan to work a 9 month contract at an elementary school.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charliecat View Post
    Hi everyone, second time applicant here. Does anyone know if they ever compare your previous year's SOP with your new one? I got an interview last year, so I feel like I did a pretty good job saying what I wanted on the SOP in a good way my first time around, but I'm not sure if I should rewrite it just in case or just make a few updates. The same goes for recommendations. I know my two letters from last year were good, and both of my references are willing to write me letters again this year, but I'm worried it would look bad to have the same references two years in a row. Also one of them is an old professor, and since this year I've graduated and am no longer a student I'm wondering if it might be better to get a rec from someone else even if it might not be as good. If I do get another interview it would also be at a different consulate if that matters.
    I am unaware of how long DC keeps their documents. In Miami, we are supposed to keep our old files and application for 10 years. If a person is applying again, I will read through their file from last year, and compare it to this year. This includes the SoP. We do not get files for anyone who does not apply at our Consulate. So, if you are applying at another location, then I wouldn't worry too much honestly. DC has so many reviewers that they hire the chances of you getting the exact same person to look at your documents this year compared to last year are slim. There is always a chance, but it isnt very high. Definitely update it a bit unless absolutely nothing in your life has changed over the past year.

Having the same two references is not a big deal.

Banned

MC, how do you feel about someone who reuses their SOP, especially if they had an interview last year?

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    MC, how do you feel about someone who reuses their SOP, especially if they had an interview last year?
    My personal opinion is that it can be seen as a bit risky. The thing is, I see both sides of the coin here. An applicant may say "It was good enough to get me in last time, I am not going to change anything because I don't wanna screw my chances." The thing is though, since applicants never see what their SoPs scored with the reviewers, it may be difficult to make that assumption. Maybe your SoP just barely got enough points to help you through to the interview stage last year, but in this years crop of applicants it may not be enough.

Story time!
    It is unsafe to assume that the caliber of this year's applicants is the same as last years. That is why I think it is dangerous to use the exact same SoP. After all of the reviewers are done checking the applicants in DC, everyone receives a score. Everyone above X score(varies year to year) will get an interview. The cut off score is based off how many applicants we receive this year, and how many spots are open. So, lets say we need to fill 800 spots this year. We know we will need to interview probably somewhere between 1800-2000 people to make sure we have a good amount of short listers and alternates. There will always be people who drop out, or people who fail classes, or get other jobs. Last year, lets say the cut off score was 60. (It wasnt, but its just for reference). Lets say your application got 60 last year in the review stage. You just barely made it through. Now, say you use the same application, and get scored similarly this year. However, maybe this years applications are more competitive, and the cut off score is 62. Guess who isnt going to the interview round?

That is just an example of course. But it helps for all of you 2nd timers to understand the dangers of using the exact same SoP since your SoP is a very large part of your overall review score in D.C.

There surely must be ways you have made yourself a better candidate this year opposed to last year. I encourage everyone to see how they can tweak their SoPs and application so you do not fall into the trap of the example I gave above.

Good luck!

Despite getting some nice, constructive feedback from people here on the forum, I'm still having trouble re-writing my SoP intro. I was thinking about starting my intro about how reacted to my rejection from last year's application cycle but I'm afraid that might sound too whiny? I want it go along the lines of "I like taking challenges head on. And when I do, I succeed. The JET 2014 application, for me, did not follow that same path. I was shocked, angry and confused, all at once. And thus I was faced with my greatest challenge yet: "Now what?". Then I would go on to say how about I decided to try new things this past summer but in the end, I found out that I'm still the happiest when I'm working with children in international settings. Does that sound decent as a rough draft?

Why bother addressing last year in the first paragraph. Why not address it elsewhere in the SoP and make the message sound more positive and productive.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Why bother addressing last year in the first paragraph. Why not address it elsewhere in the SoP and make the message sound more positive and productive.
    I am going to agree with Gizmotech here 100%. There are many ways to address how last year's rejection from the program changed your life/view of things in your SoP. Opening with it though seems a little much and may come across as somewhat angry. Definitely try to find another way to start your SoP and include last years experience somewhere else.

I figured it was a bit too much...well, it's back to the drawing board again. >.> Thanks again y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    Aww yea, re-applying after getting put on the alt. list last year.

So what have I done to improve myself in the last year? I finished my contract in Korea and then moved to Japan to work a 9 month contract at an elementary school.
    I think I remember you from last year! :O

I don't even plan on bringing up my application from last year. I feel like I have a very different approach this year. Though it would be a good way of showing that I am able to deal with challenges, but I may not have the space for it depending on how I tackle this latest wave of SOP edits I'm about to make. ><

I've been lurking the boards since last year. I got alternate status last time around. I figure they liked what I had to offer, but there is still room for improvement. I'm working towards getting my conversational Japanese to a fluid level, as of right now it comes out in thought bursts. Best of luck to my fellow alternates.

Hey everyone! Second time applier. My application, unfortunately, arrived too late so it was chucked out of the running. It's cool, though, cause I get to stay at my job another year and am able to eat regular meals. I'm on it this year. I've already got almost all of my application materials and I just finished the application itself. It needs a final tuning, but it's done. Also need to take a look at my SOP from last year and tweak it a bit.

Anyone else who has looked at the application, did you think the format was weird this time? I feel like I had more space last year to give descriptions of my job and extra-curricular activities. Maybe they're trying to keep it short and sweet this year?

I haven't looked at the online application yet. I'm waiting until the commotion for the application errors die down. I don't recall the spots for job descriptions and hobbies being that large to begin with. Maybe you just have more awesome ways to describe what you've done now? Haha.

I wish I could brag about my new hobby somehow connects me to Japan. I grow carnivorous plants now. I know there is at least one Japanese variety of Venus flytrap, but I don't know much more than that. Also, I wouldn't admit that my very first carnivorous plant was purchased right after finding out I didn't make it last year. (I had a case of the sads and shopping therapy was required) I now have two varieties of Venus flytraps, one tropical pitcher plant species, one sundew species and a butterwort species. Luckily, the supplier where I get my plants is researching Japanese communities known for carnivorous plants enthusiasts.

I might be turning into Poison Ivy...

Why wouldn't you ain't that. After being rejected you experimented with a new hobby to grow your experiences. It might be a bit odd (to me) but that doesn't diminish the fact that you are attempting to broaden your horizons.

Hrm, i never thought about it that way! I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TweedPawn View Post
    I grow carnivorous plants now. I know there is at least one Japanese variety of Venus flytrap, but I don't know much more than that. Also, I wouldn't admit that my very first carnivorous plant was purchased right after finding out I didn't make it last year.
    I have a sad basket that once contained my flytraps sitting in the corner of my apartment. Ample insects and light throughout the summer, but winter was just too cold for them up in Hokkaido without a terrarium. I'll try again this year though - I used to grow flytraps, sundews and pitchers back in England, and they lasted for a hell of a long time in the much more reasonable weather.

Anyway, good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Banned

Reasonable weather. Comparing weather to Hokkaido doesn't make other places reasonable, any more than mercury has pleasant summers compared to the sun

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Reasonable weather. Comparing weather to Hokkaido doesn't make other places reasonable, any more than mercury has pleasant summers compared to the sun
    ... Silly Greyjoy! Mercury is a liquid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Yeah, even if I can't grow carnivorous plants because of the weather, I wouldn't mind taking on flowers as a new plant to try. I hear that Gunma is known for their flowers. Any thoughts on this?