Thread: CIR

Default CIR

Anyone applying for CIR? Totally drawn on this. Really want to but feel like the chaces are better for ALTs just due to the number of people needed in the program. Are the upping their intake for CIRs like they are for ALTs?
    (Miami?)
    Apart from passing the JLPT level 2, which they don't offer the test anywhere near where I live, how can you know if your japanese is good enough?

Banned

Default Re: CIR

On the application, you should be able to indicate that you'd be willing to take an ALT position if a CIR position isn't available. It might lower your chance of getting the CIR spot in the long run(although I think they say it doesn't actually affect their decision) but it would still be a possibility, and would keep your options open.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmagnolia View Post
    Anyone applying for CIR? Totally drawn on this. Really want to but feel like the chaces are better for ALTs just due to the number of people needed in the program. Are the upping their intake for CIRs like they are for ALTs?
    (Miami?)
    Apart from passing the JLPT level 2, which they don't offer the test anywhere near where I live, how can you know if your japanese is good enough?
    There are far far far more ALT positions compared to CIR positions. To give you an example, my consulate sent 30 ALTs, and 1 CIR in 2014. Even if they continue with the plan of increase the overall number of jets, there will always be more alts.

You could be the perfect CIR candidate and not offered a shortlist spot just because there are no openings. Whereas, as an ALT, a high interview score will almost guarantee you a shortlist spot.

If you want to know if your japanese is good enougj, look up some N2 JLPT readings online. Can you read and understand the passage withouy looking up the kanji? If you were given 5 minutes to read it, would you be able to answer questions about the passage?

In miami, CIR interviews are done 100% in japanese. Other consulates have more english intertwined.

As greyjoy said, you can mark on your application if you want to go for a ALT position if we determine your japanese is not good enough during the interview.

I've known 2 or 3 people who applied for a CIR position and got offered an ALT position.

miamicoordinator is it only lack of Japanese ability that will get someone "bumped down" to an ALT? Or are there other factors that you take into consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I've known 2 or 3 people who applied for a CIR position and got offered an ALT position.

miamicoordinator is it only lack of Japanese ability that will get someone "bumped down" to an ALT? Or are there other factors that you take into consideration?
    Personally speaking, the main things i look for in a CIR is good Japanese ability and a good personality. The main thing that causes people to not do well on the CIR Interview is indeed lack of japanese ability. However, you can have rock star japanese, and if you come across as a pompous idiot, good japanese or not, chances are you arent getting through.

We dont bump down due to personality issues though. I only bump down to ALT when their japanese level is not up to par. We do discuss this with them during the interview, so its not a surprise for them.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    We dont bump down due to personality issues though. I only bump down to ALT when their japanese level is not up to par.
    OK that's interesting, thanks.

So bad personalities are simply rejected?
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; October 6th, 2014 at 11:34.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    So bad personalities are simply rejected?
    That can't be true, I made it in.

I had the CIR interview but that year they only wanted 4 British CIRs and I was number 5 on the list. I say go for it and say you'd be an ALT if you didn't get in. If anything, just the experience of doing an interview in Japanese was really good for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That can't be true, I made it in.
    Japan blogger Gakuranman got in over me when I did it. And he's an absolute prick.
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.

Bad personalities who can't hide that for a 10 minute interview*
    Yep, basically this. Considering the horror stories I hear from new JETs about the preds, I know for sure there are plenty of bad apples that get in the program.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu View Post
    Japan blogger Gakuranman got in over me when I did it. And he's an absolute prick.
    but did he go to a polytechnic? I think not....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Yep, basically this. Considering the horror stories I hear from new JETs about the preds, I know for sure there are plenty of bad apples that get in the program.
    I was a good apple that Japan made go bad.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    but did he go to a polytechnic? I think not....
    I think I've done pretty well for an ex-poly graduate!

so could you get offered ALT just because there isn't available CIR positions? or is it just for when your Japanese isn't up to par?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmagnolia View Post
    so could you get offered ALT just because there isn't available CIR positions? or is it just for when your Japanese isn't up to par?
    I had typed a out a long response to this, and my browser decided to stop responding ><

Here we go again!

CIR interviews are handled a bit differently than ALT interviews. The scoring is different because CIRs are also being tested on their Japanese ability, while ALTs are only granted bonus points for Japanese ability. The top score for a CIR is much higher than it is for an ALT also. As you know, the application allows for CIRS to mark YES or NO if they want to be considered for an ALT position as well. Because of this, there are three different types of CIR applicants.

1) Applicants who only want to be considered for a CIR position.
    These people, regardless of availability, only want to be a CIR. Maybe they don't like teaching, or hate kids, who knows? But these people will be recommended only as a CIR (if they pass the interview). If there is availability, then they will go. If not, they will be put on the CIR Alternate list. If no positions for CIRs open open, then they will never hear from us again.

2) Applicants who marked YES for ALT consideration.
    These are people who passed the Japanese and general interview portion, and will be recommended as a CIR. However, if no positions are immediately available, then they will be put on the CIR Alternate list with an annotation telling us they want to be considered as an ALT as well. Upgrades will always go through the ALT alternate list first. Sometime after the second wave of upgrades (this year, it was sometime in late June iirc) then we will receive word from Tokyo that we can start upgrading CIR alternates as ALTs as well. You can see how this can be risky because there will be many ALTs upgraded before you.

3) Applicants whose Japanese is not up to par.
    As sweet and nice as some of these applicants may be, we will let them know their Japanese is not good enough for a CIR position, and will offer them an ALT interview(if they wish). These people will then be cosidered only as an ALT, and will be placed on the ALT recommendation list only. They will get shortlisted/upgraded along with the rest of the ALTs.

So, as you can see, it really varies when it comes to CIRs. You will only get offered an ALT position if you want. Like I said, we do discuss this with applicants during the actual interview. I had 2 CIRs this year. In the original short list we received from Tokyo, neither of them were offered positions. One of them was upgraded as a CIR, and the other was upgraded as an ALT later on.

-MC