Thread: Shipping application via Fedex??

Default Shipping application via Fedex??

Hello! Newbie here, applying for the first time this year. How do you ship your application package? I want to use Fedex, One Rate shipping overnight. Does JET want the application shipped in a plain envelope? With Fedex you have to use their envelopes. Has anyone mailed off your applications this way? Any tips? Thanks so much!

Default Re: Shipping application via Fedex??

I shipped mine via FedEx. I used their box, but had my own special envelope inside it. I put tracking and insurance on it 'cause I was nervous about it getting there.

I can't be absolutely certain, but I'm fairly confident when I say that JET probably doesn't give a rat's arse what sort of envelope your application arrives in, so long as it isn't ticking/doesn't contain mysterious white powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

You get extra points on your application if you turn it into the DC embassy in person.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    You get extra points on your application if you turn it into the DC embassy in person.
    Don't forget to flirt with the receptionist. You have to do that too. Even if you're a neckbeard and the receptionist is a dude. Still counts.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by WonderingUnicorn View Post
    Hello! Newbie here, applying for the first time this year. How do you ship your application package? I want to use Fedex, One Rate shipping overnight. Does JET want the application shipped in a plain envelope? With Fedex you have to use their envelopes. Has anyone mailed off your applications this way? Any tips? Thanks so much!
    Why overnight? It's ridiculously more expensive than the regular three (or so) day service.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Instructions for what kind of envelope can be found on the guidelines. Basically, you put all of your documents into one large envelope/package and send it off to DC. In my experience, all of the major shipping services (FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL) have all lost packagages at one time or another at our Consulate. I personally dont trust one more than another, but definitely use whatever you feel most secure with.

The DC office has specifically told us that USPS Express Mail historically has had quite a few problems when it comes to registering the tracking numbers of the packages sent. Since they deliver so many packages, it seems they just leave a box for DC at the receptionist without going through each envelope one by one scanning them. This leads to packages not being able to be tracked and gives applicants a heart attack when the deadline has passed and their package is still "in transit".

That being said, windycity is spot on here. As long as you send your package with plenty of time, overnight shipping is not necessary. Just whatever you use, make sure it does have a tracking number. Do your best to not wait till the last minute to send it because everyone does that. Last year DC received the majority of the applications within the last few days of the deadline. You can imagine how hectic the mail room is around that time.

-MC

Yeah, Miami is on point. Personally, I trust FedEx the most and USPS the least. I had all of my documents in a giant manila folder and then put that inside one of FedEx boxes with 3 day shipping. Got to D.C. no problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I will do it how naginataonthebrain did theirs. I think that will be the best way for me. And I have to overnight it because my physical appointment is on the 22nd, and apps this year are due nov 5! I want it to get there as fast as possible

No extra points for handing it in person, but I can manage
    Last edited by WonderingUnicorn; October 9th, 2014 at 10:14.

I want it to get there as faat as posdible
    Sending it out early is good, but do be sure to proofread it.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

sorry; my phone was derping hard today
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

That signature plus that excuse...
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

i love my signature-its very personal to me, my phone is very old unfortunately and typing very fast at work with a lot going on, and still managing to reply to the nice posts that people put on this thread with my thanks, i missed the spelling error. i personally dont think its that big of a deal, but hey-to each his/her own. thanks for pointing out my signature and have a great day!!
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

It's not; I'm just a horrid grammar nazi and like LOLing at stuff. Don't stress.