Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JETs Driving In Japan Questions

Default Re: JETs Driving In Japan Questions

My car was as precious to me as my wanking arm on JET. Weekends could be spent bombing through the mountain roads to Kyoto or down the motorway to Nagoya. Had I been marooned in my prefecture I'd have been stuck playing ultimate frisbee with the local ALT goon platoon, followed by bickering over the bill in some cheap dump of a ramen joint.

There were several cross-country trips on top of that, not to mention the general convenience of getting around my own legality. A willingness to drive will more often than not make your life exponentially better on JET, no two ways about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    playing ultimate frisbee with the local ALT goon platoon, followed by bickering over the bill in some cheap dump of a ramen joint.
    Trigger warning, please.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for that.

If you are coming from Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the UK and already have a drivers license from back home, getting a Japanese license is super easy. All I had to do was fill out a couple forms, stand on one foot, show them I could move my arms properly, and prove I wasn't colour blind. I did make a mistake by saying that you drive when the light turns みどり at which point they all looked at me like I was insane until I stammered, "あの...あお?" It cost about 4,000 yen or so. I did have to give up my Canadian license though, so if you are only planning on staying a year just go for the IDL.

People from other countries don't have it quite so easy. You need to take the Japanese driving test, which even if you ace on the first try, is time consuming and pricey.