Thread: JET application follow up?

Default JET application follow up?

Hi all,

So this year is the first time I am applying to the JET Program (hopefully all goes well with that) and something dawned on me as I started to gather the necessary paperwork (i.e. letters of rec). Has anyone ever had someone from the JET Program contact their reference writers to follow up? If so, did you find out what they asked your references? This question also goes out to any other part of the application that may have been followed-up on like employment history, teaching experience, etc.

I should point out that this is in NO WAY condoning lying on your application. I am honestly curious about it.
    Last edited by hiddenlee22; October 12th, 2014 at 01:19.

Default Re: JET application follow up?

I haven't heard of that happening, but I'm going to assume that JET would be willing to if they needed more information. But they probably won't care about your Mcdonald's job you had five summers ago.

Banned

Default JET application follow up?

Nobody ever contacts reference letter writers. Even if you give an employer a list of references, the odds are 100:1 that they actually call them. Mostly, employers are just looking to make sure you know people outside of your friends and family. With letters if reference especially, the letter should contain all the pertinent info, and follow up would be both unnecessary and time consuming.

Then again, if a reference letter was written by Barack Obama or David Cameron, someone might just call their office to verify authenticity.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlee22 View Post
    Hi all,

So this year is the first time I am applying to the JET Program (hopefully all goes well with that) and something dawned on me as I started to gather the necessary paperwork (i.e. letters of rec). Has anyone ever had someone from the JET Program contact their reference writers to follow up? If so, did you find out what they asked your references? This question also goes out to any other part of the application that may have been followed-up on like employment history, teaching experience, etc.

I should point out that this is in NO WAY condoning lying on your application. I am honestly curious about it.
    I have reached out to reference letter writers when i want more information on an applicant. I always make sure to let them know our conversation should be confidential.

I do not believe DC contacts reference letter writers since they are swamped with 5000+ applications.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Nobody ever contacts reference letter writers. Even if you give an employer a list of references, the odds are 100:1 that they actually call them. Mostly, employers are just looking to make sure you know people outside of your friends and family. With letters if reference especially, the letter should contain all the pertinent info, and follow up would be both unnecessary and time consuming.

Then again, if a reference letter was written by Barack Obama or David Cameron, someone might just call their office to verify authenticity.
    I know for a fact that Interac contacts the reference writers, as i was meeting with my dissertation supervisor when he received the check up phone call... I'm sure its supposed to be confidential but what can you do when your sat in the room when the call comes though?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    I have reached out to reference letter writers when i want more information on an applicant. I always make sure to let them know our conversation should be confidential.

I do not believe DC contacts reference letter writers since they are swamped with 5000+ applications.
    Not to be too pressing, but what kind of information would you be looking for?

And does that mean during the reviewing process certain consulates have different ways they review the applications they receive?
    Last edited by hiddenlee22; October 13th, 2014 at 13:30.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlee22 View Post
    Not to be too pressing, but what kind of information would you be looking for?

And does that mean during the reviewing process certain consulates have different ways they review the applications they receive?
    Each consulate in the u.s. receives the same interview guidelines from tokyo. In a perfect world, all interviews in all locations would be the same to make sure there is level of fairness worldwide. This includes the review process.

However, all panels will vary depending on the people present. Someone who interviews in one location may be receive a lower score than if they interviewed at another location because the panel liked them more. Its not a perfect system, but we do our best.

In terms of information i would be looking for, it simply would depend on the person. There is no general red flag for example, but if the rec letter mentioned a unique quality about the applicant that i want to know more about, then it would not be unusual for me to contact them for more information.