Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview Locations for Those Living Abroad

Default Interview Locations for Those Living Abroad

Hey guys,

So I live in Japan now and I was wondering what other people were going to do for choosing their interview location. Are you going to choose the one closest to home? Closest to the country that your are in now?
    I thought I should apply in Boston since I'm from Vermont, but my current boss said that I was a moron for thinking that flying 14 hours for the interview would make me feel fresh and awesome. He suggested West Coast America for me since it's closer, and I guess I'm still not sure. Regardless, if I get an interview it is going to be a huge cost, and I guess with Jet-lag and all that being closer to Japan would make sense.
    Also, has anyone ever known anyone who interviewed in Guam?

Default Re: Interview Locations for Those Living Abroad

My friend interviewed in Guam. Worked out alright for him.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    My friend interviewed in Guam. Worked out alright for him.
    Thanks, Mothy! I had never heard of anyone interviewing there so I was really curious.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Hey guys,

So I live in Japan now and I was wondering what other people were going to do for choosing their interview location. Are you going to choose the one closest to home? Closest to the country that your are in now?
    I thought I should apply in Boston since I'm from Vermont, but my current boss said that I was a moron for thinking that flying 14 hours for the interview would make me feel fresh and awesome. He suggested West Coast America for me since it's closer, and I guess I'm still not sure. Regardless, if I get an interview it is going to be a huge cost, and I guess with Jet-lag and all that being closer to Japan would make sense.
    Also, has anyone ever known anyone who interviewed in Guam?
    Yes, you can apply in guam as a u.s. citizen. Last year they sent 6 people iirc. I am sure all of those people were living in japan.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I wouldn't recommend going the same date as your interview, go a day or two beforehand. Explore the area so you are aware of where the offices are and how to get there with time in advanced.
    That's what I'm doing, though in my case I'd be staying with a friend so I won't have to pay for a hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend going the same date as your interview, go a day or two beforehand. Explore the area so you are aware of where the offices are and how to get there with time in advanced.
    That's what I'm doing, though in my case I'd be staying with a friend so I won't have to pay for a hotel room.
    Thanks for the advice! I will go as soon as I can beforehand, but it boils down to the benevolence of my boss who is allowing me to take unpaid holiday...so he makes the decision about how much time he'll give me. So I'm hoping to at least be able to go the day before, but yeah...gotta start saving up my yennies now!

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Yes, you can apply in guam as a u.s. citizen. Last year they sent 6 people iirc. I am sure all of those people were living in japan.
    Thank you for the reply! I'm applying as a CIR, so I worry if that would be a kind of negative to apply at a smaller embassy that maybe doesn't have lots of experience with the other kinds of interviews. I'm still debating whether I should try to hoof it to LA or Seattle or something.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Well, that could work to your advantage, easier to "wow" them? =P

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Well, that could work to your advantage, easier to "wow" them? =P
    Maybe? But if they are so small that they don't get a CIR slot to fill, then I'm kind of up a creek. I honestly have no idea how it works, I've heard that each place gets a certain amount of positions to fill, so no idea, really.

Out of curiosity, what drives someone in Japan to apply for JET?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Out of curiosity, what drives someone in Japan to apply for JET?
    I've been working as an English teacher here for over two years and I would like a job as a CIR. Knowing that I wouldn't get any better in America at Japanese and with the crappy job market, I went to Japan to study and work while preparing to apply.

If I don't get it, I plan on staying here working or maybe going to a Japanese University.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Maybe? But if they are so small that they don't get a CIR slot to fill, then I'm kind of up a creek. I honestly have no idea how it works, I've heard that each place gets a certain amount of positions to fill, so no idea, really.
    This used to be the case, but is no longer true. Interview locations no longer get a set amount of spots. For example 2 years ago we recommended 2 CIRs and both were shortlisted(although one declined for another opportunity), last year we recommended 2 as well, and we got 0 spots in the initial shortlist. Eventually one was upgraded as a CIR and the other as an ALT.

There are no longer slot alotments per consulate. Everthing is determined by your interview score, regardless of interview location.

Now, if the other CIRs worldwide scored higher than you, you are out of luck unfortunately. If you score higher than them, and there are spots, you have a.chance.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    There are no longer slot alotments per consulate. Everthing is determined by your interview score, regardless of interview location.

Now, if the other CIRs worldwide scored higher than you, you are out of luck unfortunately. If you score higher than them, and there are spots, you have a.chance.
    So, slots are not allocated per country? I had the impression that being from a small country, there would be very few slots allocated.

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    So, slots are not allocated per country? I had the impression that being from a small country, there would be very few slots allocated.
    I think MC was referring to interview sites within the US, which has several. Spots per country are different, and might still be (somewhat) allocated.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    I think MC was referring to interview sites within the US, which has several. Spots per country are different, and might still be (somewhat) allocated.
    Ah. I was curious because "other CIRs worldwide" was mentioned rather than "other CIRs in the US".

I'd say definitely choose the location closest to where you are now to cut down on jet lag and flight costs. You'll want to present yourself in the best way possible for your interview.

I'm currently living in Germany and am planning on applying through the NYC consulate since flights to NYC are the cheapest from Frankfurt. I've found some cheap flights to DC as well but since I heard that the DC Consulate gets the most applicants (not sure if this is true or not) I figured I'd save them a bit of paperwork and go with NYC.
    Last edited by ticktockticktock; October 15th, 2014 at 19:44. Reason: Added thought

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Yes, this is correct. Just a poor choice of words on my part. Guam JETs are considered U.S. JETs, but if you interview there you are on the other side of the world compared to other US consulates. Thats why i said "other cirs worldwide". Bad choice of words, sorry for the confusion.

Countries definitely have a certain amount of overall spots allocated. But for the US, the 900 spots(not real number) for example are not.divided up by geographical area(individualn consulates) based on number of applicants anymore.
    Last edited by miamicoordinator; October 15th, 2014 at 20:34.

Ah okay. Thanks a lot! I really had no idea how it worked. That makes sense, it's more fair if all the amount is allotted to all of America instead of only per consulate. So it just has to do with overall score and then where that puts you on the list. Thank you so much for your answer! I feel a little bit better choosing the consulate farther from me then.

Quote Originally Posted by ticktockticktock View Post
    I'd say definitely choose the location closest to where you are now to cut down on jet lag and flight costs. You'll want to present yourself in the best way possible for your interview.
    Yeah, I only wish that flights weren't so freaking expensive to the America neck of the woods. Ah well. Perhaps I can somehow swing a cheap flight if I'm able to fly on a Tuesday or something.

Hey! I'm from Vermont too I'm also applying from Japan and the whole issue of flying back for an interview is giving me a serious headache. My current job isn't okay with the idea of me taking time off to interview for another job. So If I do get an interview I am pretty sure I'll come down with a bad case of the flu in mid-February. To make things even more complicated, I am dual Canadian/American and am currently in Japan under my Canadian passport. I'm kind of regretting that now since flying to Guam for an interview would be so much cheaper and faster than flying back to Canada. Plus, even one day puttering around Guam would be kind of fun. I can't imagine the amount of paperwork I would have to do to change my visas and everything else around, so I guess I'll stick with Canadian and hope for the best!