Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error reported in the JET Application

Default Error reported in the JET Application

I see the application is finally available, and I'm about 75% filled out, when I get an email titled "Error reported in the JET Application" which says "Our portal shows that you have already submitted the application." among other things. I've clearly not pressed Submit yet, only Save & Continue. I hope nothing is too messed up now. I wonder if I should keep going or just start over later now.

Default Anyone other US applicants get amessage about an error?

I'm hoping I'm not the only one. I started the application, and then clicked save and logged out to complete later. Thinking everything should be fine and dandy.

Then I received this email a while later:

Dear Applicants,

We are sorry to inform you that an error has been reported with the online portal which has resulted in the JET Application having several questions missing from the application. We are working with the company which hosts the online application to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

At this time, we would ask you to wait to proceed with your online application. Our portal shows that you have already submitted the application. Depending on the nature of the issue, we may have to ask you to re-submit the application online to ensure that all questions appear properly and so that you can have a full application.

We deeply apologize for this situation and will work to rectify the problem as soon as possible. We will follow up again with further instructions within the next 24 hours.

Thank you for your interest in the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program.

Sincerely,

JET Program Office
    Embassy of Japan
    2520 Massachusetts Avenue NW
    Washington DC 20008

I found this concerning, because not once did I actually select submit. I replied to the email indicating that, since im sure this is a automated response, but enough to cause alarm.

I thought I would check and see if I was the only one who received this email. (hopefully I'm not, but if so I guess I will have to deal with that) Hopefully I will get a response back from the JET Office tomorrow during business hours.

Default Re: Anyone other US applicants get amessage about an error?

Sorry just saw the other post. My work computer has been weird today, so I'm not sure why I didn't see it. Feel free to delete this >.<

Default Re: Error reported in the JET Application

I got the same thing. Just accidentally created a duplicate post since I must have clicked to create it right as you posted yours... So it doesn't look like you are the only one. I responded to the email relaying that I hadn't actually submitted my application and wanted to ensure that I would still be able to complete it. Since it's after office hours, hopefully I will get a response tomorrow during business hours. Definitely an alarming message though, I was like , "Wait! I didn't submit it yet."

I didn't even start the application and it said I submitted it, so I wouldn't stress too much.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
    I got the same thing. Just accidentally created a duplicate post since I must have clicked to create it right as you posted yours... So it doesn't look like you are the only one. I responded to the email relaying that I hadn't actually submitted my application and wanted to ensure that I would still be able to complete it. Since it's after office hours, hopefully I will get a response tomorrow during business hours. Definitely an alarming message though, I was like , "Wait! I didn't submit it yet."
    Yeah, I'm guessing they're still having a lot of trouble. Kind of frustrating... I went to the "Check your Application" link and it says "Deadline Has Passed" - "Thank you for your interest in the 2015 JET Program. Unfortunately, the application deadline for this year's Program has passed. We will be recruiting again next fall and encourage you to apply at that time. In the meantime, please visit our website at The official website of the JET Program USA for general information on the program and the application process."
    So you can't preview or look at the PDF version to see if any text is cut off yet either I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by frayedflower View Post
    I didn't even start the application and it said I submitted it, so I wouldn't stress too much.
    That's quite reassuring.

OK, I also got a message saying I already submitted an application, which I haven't...so hearing that some of y'all got the same message makes me feel a whole lot better.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frayedflower View Post
    I'm on the same boat.

Merged the two threads in the interests of cleanliness; my apologies if it threw anyone off.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Default Error reported in the JET Application

Anyone who has an account in the system, and thus an email on file, probably got this notice.

So this obviously doesn't bode well for the future, but MiamiC, when do you think jet might start to accept applications entirely online? Sending in that huge packet is a hassle on both sides. I guess there are still a few things that need to be originals, but off the top of my head, I can only think of transcripts, and those can still be sent separately by the school if need be(although I think the copies suffice just as well). Is there any plan to phase this in over the next few years?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Anyone who has an account in the system, and thus an email on file, probably got this notice.

So this obviously doesn't bode well for the future, but MiamiC, when do you think jet might start to accept applications entirely online? Sending in that huge packet is a hassle on both sides. I guess there are still a few things that need to be originals, but off the top of my head, I can only think of transcripts, and those can still be sent separately by the school if need be(although I think the copies suffice just as well). Is there any plan to phase this in over the next few years?
    I was out of the office today, so i am sure i will be greeted with 100+ emails in my inbox when i get to work tomorrow. I will see if there are any updates from dc and let you know.

I dont see online only applications anytime soon honestly. I know its a huge application packet, but the problem is, tokyo gets one copy of the application, dc keeps a copy and the interview consulate gets a copy. Japan is very paranoid about sending "personal information" via electronic formats. As it is sensitive documents are still sent snail mail, or via couriers. Tokyo simply doesnt not trust the internet for sending sensitive information.

If everything was submitted online, we would need to have a server to host all the information. Our email inboxes only hold 750mb, so its not like emailing applications would work.

There are so many logistical issues, especially with permission required from japan. Honestly, dont get your hopes up.

If we have issues with just hosting the application, can you imagine if we had 5000+ people uploading all of their documemts at the same time? /shudder
    Last edited by miamicoordinator; October 16th, 2014 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    I was out of the office today, so i am sure i will be greeted with 100+ emails in my inbox when i get to work tomorrow. I will see if there are any updates from dc and let you know.
    Otsukaresamadeshita! I hope your tomorrow isn't too hectic!

Yeah, this year is starting to remind me of last year when applications were late to go out. On the bright side, JET seems pretty good about offering extra time when there are hiccups like this.

Same exact thing is happening to my application in regards to the "Check your Application" link -_- In the opening page it also says, " the 2015 application deadline has passed". Sent tech support a polite heads up. Here and there I found other hiccups in field entries such as the entries of MM/YYYY being cut off in the specific entry boxes. Again, sent tech support a case report about this issue.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the same technical difficulties.
    For now I'll just plow around other parts of the application until I hear back.

I encourage applicants to report issues as soon as you see them to tech support so the online service team can be aware!
    I imagine coordinators being the wrong party to contact since they have no control of the online application directly.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

The main website says the Application Portal is not currently available. I'd take that as a sign to stop messing with the application that was given on the email. Especially considering that's what the latest email said "At this time, we would ask you to wait to proceed with your online application. "
    Sure, this is the same email that thinks you already submitted an application, but I'd at least wait the 24 hours they asked for before entering again.

I noticed something was off as I was filling out the first couple of portions last night with dates not being consistent and some places where it says "check N/A if it doesn't apply to you" when there weren't any N/A check boxes. Glad I didn't get too far into the application.

As a web programmer, I can confirm how difficult it is to create a multi-page form with session data saved between visits. I've built these kinds of forms for clients that send us .pdf files, containing nothing but pages of scanned screenshots with hand-written notes. The only big issues I noticed last night were some odd input validations on fields that simply weren't long enough for that kind of data.

I did finish most of the application before they sent the notice, though. I don't imagine the data will get wiped out before they reopen the form.

Yeah, some boxes want "MM/YY - MM/YY" others want "MM/YYYY - MM/YYYY" and yet others want "MM/YYYY-MM/YYYY" and you can't put the spaces around the hyphen. The instructions are really unclear about "make sure you don't leave anything blank, ever! put N/A in anything that doesn't apply" then when you get into it, lots of the subsections tell you to specifically leave things blank. Also the language study section references filling in a "content" field that doesn't exist.

I spent 2 hours filling everything out, so I hope it's still all there when they fix these bugs. At least I could print the HTML version so I can just re-type everything if they make us all start over.

Quote Originally Posted by elfpoet View Post
    As a web programmer, I can confirm how difficult it is to create a multi-page form with session data saved between visits. I've built these kinds of forms for clients that send us .pdf files, containing nothing but pages of scanned screenshots with hand-written notes.
    I've actually done quite a lot of big web forms like this myself (although I'm more of a Windows desktop and Android software developer usually) and I've done freelance contract programming for over 10 years now. I'm not big on ASP, but I can tell you I could have knocked out that entire form in a week or two in straight PHP by myself, and I'd guarantee it wouldn't have the bugs we're seeing now. I think the problem is more of bureaucracy and constant changes/updates coming from somewhere higher up, or else there are just too many hands in the pot (Having more than 2 people on a project like this would definitely just slow things down).