Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Error reported in the JET Application

Default Re: Error reported in the JET Application

Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    I've actually done quite a lot of big web forms like this myself (although I'm more of a Windows desktop and Android software developer usually) and I've done freelance contract programming for over 10 years now. I'm not big on ASP, but I can tell you I could have knocked out that entire form in a week or two in straight PHP by myself, and I'd guarantee it wouldn't have the bugs we're seeing now. I think the problem is more of bureaucracy and constant changes/updates coming from somewhere higher up, or else there are just too many hands in the pot (Having more than 2 people on a project like this would definitely just slow things down).
    Too many hands in the pot? I'm pretty sure every pot in Japan is made entirely out of hands, but the lower hands have to get conformation from higher hands before they can do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    Too many hands in the pot? I'm pretty sure every pot in Japan is made entirely out of hands, but the lower hands have to get conformation from higher hands before they can do anything.
    LOL. That's what I was trying to say.

So I went back and looked at my application just now and some of the stuff I typed is now cut off. They've lowered the maximum characters to 20 in some of the fields like Employer Name, where I clearly need 25 to type out the name of the company I worked for. Great...
    Last edited by Ark42; October 16th, 2014 at 23:29.

I just wanted to follow up, since I had responded to the error email with questions, that this morning this was the response that was given

We apologize for the confusion. The email contained the erroneous information, please disregard. We will send another update very soon so you can start working on your application.

Thank you for your understanding!
    This of course was what I was expecting, and I'm sure its what many of you were too, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aihra View Post
    Same exact thing is happening to my application in regards to the "Check your Application" link -_- In the opening page it also says, " the 2015 application deadline has passed". Sent tech support a polite heads up. Here and there I found other hiccups in field entries such as the entries of MM/YYYY being cut off in the specific entry boxes. Again, sent tech support a case report about this issue.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the same technical difficulties.
    For now I'll just plow around other parts of the application until I hear back.

I encourage applicants to report issues as soon as you see them to tech support so the online service team can be aware!
    I imagine coordinators being the wrong party to contact since they have no control of the online application directly.

I'm happy to inform that the team, Hobsons Technical Support, has replied promptly to each inquiry listed above and fixed the issues on my app.
    I hope it applies to everyone.

That being said, I can't stress it enough, please inform tech support on any issues improve the overall application experience.
    Last edited by Aihra; October 17th, 2014 at 03:57.

I guess by now we have all got the apologetic email which reiterates the November 14th Deadline. Keep working on applications and keep trying hard!

Should I be worried if certain sections that have, say, 4x of the same types of boxes have no character limit on #1 but a 50 character limit on #2? Should I test the waters on text fields and try to limit myself to the number of characters other similar fields may limit me to?
    I've completed the application already, I'm just waiting for the ability to preview the PDF or submit it, or whatever the next step is.

Banned

Default Error reported in the JET Application

When you preview the application, it will show if anything is being cut off for the printed version. You'll want to try to conform to the character limits as much as possible, because they're probably formatted that way to ensure proper printing. Use abbreviations where you can, and omit things that aren't so important. If you need to, you can try to bring up anything you can't fit into your sop or at the interview later on. Most little things are not important anyway.

Is there anything you really feel you need to put in the box but can't fit? Let us know, and we'll figure out if you should squeeze it in.

So it looks like you can check/submit your application now. I have a few fields that it says I didn't fill out, but when it takes me to them, they are filled out, and if I re-save the page, it will cut the text off to 20 characters. Pretty annoying since you can't really use a "description" field to accurately describe any job or volunteer activity with just 20 characters.

I also noticed some new fields like a 5th culture and language study option, where before there was only 4. The N/A box is not checked by default and the check-form button did not catch that.
    Last edited by Ark42; October 22nd, 2014 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    So it looks like you can check/submit your application now. I have a few fields that it says I didn't fill out, but when it takes me to them, they are filled out, and if I re-save the page, it will cut the text off to 20 characters. Pretty annoying since you can't really use a "description" field to accurately describe any job or volunteer activity with just 20 characters.
    I think it has always done that. Limiting your length for the printed version, probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I think it has always done that. Limiting your length for the printed version, probably.
    The colleges you pick via the look-up tool get cut off, nothing we can do about that. Both of the two colleges/universities I went to have their names cut off and I didn't type the names in there myself...
    The dates attended are MM/YYYY-MM/YYY with the last Y wrapped to another line. Nice....
    The job descriptions wrap to a 2nd line but only for a word or two. They could have upped the max chars there by 40% without a problem.
    Heck, wrap to a 3rd line, the boxes on the PDF print-out are all tall enough for 3 lines.

I think most of it is just poor planning and design by the web company involved. Anyway, I'm not really trying to complain about it any more. Everybody applying has the same limitations, I'm just pointing out what happened to me since I filled out the application before they took it down and put it back up. Others may not notice that they've lost room in boxes or new boxes they didn't fill out with N/A appeared.

Worse-case scenerio, if some important text (like description of a medical condition or something) is cut off in the printed version, it'll be best to write in the cut off portion by hand, or attach a printed sheet, since the people reading your printed application won't have access to the digital one in most cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.