Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clair Japanese Study course.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Clair Japanese Study course.

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    Everyone who isn't American is from the UK eh? Haha.

Very nice!
    Just like everyone who's American must be from US.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Just like everyone who's American must be from US.
    Touché!
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

Just got asked if I want to take the intermediate class again this year. I said no, but my supe for some reason thinks it's mandatory. That's probably why she signed me up for it anyway last year. "Why don't you want to take it?" "Well, it was kinda easy and I study on my own anyway..." "Oh, it was easy? Want to take advanced?" "Well, I am, but I'm doing it on my own..." "I'll call them and see if it's okay."

Oh bureaucracy.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

There is definitely a way to not sign up for it.

That being said, I haven't seen anything about the language course yet, just got the info for the TEFL grant though. (god what a waste of paper that was)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Try telling them you're taking the JLPT because the JET course won't be recognised by anyone.
    That would require me to either lie or actually take the test. I'm the least arsed to sit down and study like I've got a deadline. I'm not ready to face homework. I actually told her that a couple seconds ago, and she was like "homework desu ne..." Quit judging me lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    That would require me to either lie or actually take the test. I'm the least arsed to sit down and study like I've got a deadline. I'm not ready to face homework. I actually told her that a couple seconds ago, and she was like "homework desu ne..." Quit judging me lady.
    My proof for not studying is:

Which teacher was sitting with the PTA old men, drinking them under the table, and schooling them on Japanese history... IN JAPANESE? That's right. Fuck clair courses. Seriously, I COULD learn teinei again and know how to suck my principals cock officially and properly, or I could just go to a bar after work and try using Japanese the old fashioned way... with peeps!

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post

Which teacher was sitting with the PTA old men, drinking them under the table, and schooling them on Japanese history... IN JAPANESE? That's right. Fuck clair courses. Seriously, I COULD learn teinei again and know how to suck my principals cock officially and properly, or I could just go to a bar after work and try using Japanese the old fashioned way... with peeps!
    Seriously, I swear I only learn any Japanese these days after drinking heavily. i have the best conversations with people.

Dat nomunication.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post

proven, timeless method
    Last edited by BifCarbet; May 13th, 2015 at 15:42. Reason: punctuation (not actual sentence)
    車庫 B1F

FWIW, people are giving a lot of horror stories about their advisers strong-arming them into it, but mine literally couldn't have given less of a shit.

When the CLAIR paper came, he dropped by my desk, asked me if I wanted to do it, and I explained that I'd rather opt out since there was my own track of things with Japanese that I wanted to focus on instead (and my Japanese was good enough at the time I probably wouldn't have gotten much out of it anyway). He agreed, and looked at me with relief and gratitude because he didn't have to do the paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    FWIW, people are giving a lot of horror stories about their advisers strong-arming them into it, but mine literally couldn't have given less of a shit.

When the CLAIR paper came, he dropped by my desk, asked me if I wanted to do it, and I explained that I'd rather opt out since there was my own track of things with Japanese that I wanted to focus on instead (and my Japanese was good enough at the time I probably wouldn't have gotten much out of it anyway). He agreed, and looked at me with relief and gratitude because he didn't have to do the paperwork.
    Last time though I wasn't even strongarmed, she asked me, I said no, but she signed me up for it anyway.

Least this time there's a happy ending (I think) she called and said I was studying on my own so I didn't need to take the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Oh well, English people are a bunch of lazy, miserable arseholes, what would you expect?

I just said Americans because they're all about their individual freedumz.
    Can confirm.
    Last edited by pasmo; May 17th, 2015 at 03:41.
    Look, I have posted on a forum.

Had an audible laugh at Guy Jean-kun, that's brilliant.

I'll probably sign up for the classes, since I don't know any Japanese. Hopefully it's not too difficult. There seem to be plenty of excellent resources out there for learning Japanese either way.

I'm 50-50 on the idea of joining the course. I would rather spend my time working towards the JLPT and having the freedom of choosing which aspects of Japanese I want to study and when. I took classes at uni in Japanese so I understand the benefit of structured classes, but I am just not sure right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechking View Post
    I'm 50-50 on the idea of joining the course. I would rather spend my time working towards the JLPT and having the freedom of choosing which aspects of Japanese I want to study and when. I took classes at uni in Japanese so I understand the benefit of structured classes, but I am just not sure right now.
    Pretty much what I did - I grabbed a copy of Tobira and showed them the difference in level etc between the CLAIR books my pred left and other textbooks. They were pretty satisfied by that. Although I still have no real intention of taking the JPLT anytime soon...

Tobira is an excellent book to illustrate how limited the CLAIR courses are.

Man, Tobira is a great textbook.

I know this is an ESID thing, but how helpful are your JTEs or people in the community to tutor you in Japanese in this situation? I would assume that a language exchange thing would work better than the CLAIR route.

Yo, Ace. I just want to share my philosophy on studying Japanese, one that has always worked for me. I'm not saying this is revolutionary or uncommon. It's just my observation, and I know it's not original. Again, I'm not postulating on anyone's practice habits. I don't know what y'all's methods are. I'm just sharing mine. When I say "you", I'm not talking about Ace or anyone else in this forum.

I treat simply living in Japan as a language exchange. Every interaction is a lesson. My teachers are postal workers, colleagues, students, cops, etc. If someone really wants to learn Japanese, they have to own it. Instead of asking for English shipping instructions at the post office, then grabbing a Japanese textbook to study when you get home, it's better to ask for the pamphlet in Japanese, figure it out, and then do the transaction in Japanese. Making a habit out of that is the best way to study and learn. You can use English when doing this too, and you don't need to master any words for it. Navigate the situation and find a way to get the job done. You can reduce the complicated Japanese as much as you need to with the help of the attendant. If they're busy and won't have it, oh well; just do it next time.

I think that thinking of studying Japanese as something you are constantly doing instead of something you get on your bike and go to a class or a club to do is the best way. I always found that the foreigners who learned best were the ones who weaved it into their lives, as opposed to dedicating an hour a week or 30 minutes a night to it. I think the same goes for English speakers in Japan. The best ones are the ones who try to incorporate it into their lives. People who traveled, tried to be my friend, and watched American TV shows usually spoke better than those who just participated in conversations clubs.

The resources to which a JET participant is exposed are basically unlimited. Buying groceries is studying, as are reading a map, talking to a kid, and using the restroom.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; June 2nd, 2015 at 05:21.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Yo, Ace. I just want to share my philosophy on studying Japanese, one that has always worked for me. I'm not saying this is revolutionary or uncommon. It's just my observation, and I know it's not original. Again, I'm not postulating on anyone's practice habits. I don't know what y'all's methods are. I'm just sharing mine. When I say "you", I'm not talking about Ace or anyone else in this forum.

I treat simply living in Japan as a language exchange. Every interaction is a lesson. My teachers are postal workers, colleagues, students, cops, etc. If someone really wants to learn Japanese, they have to own it. Instead of asking for English shipping instructions at the post office, then grabbing a Japanese textbook to study when you get home, it's better to ask for the pamphlet in Japanese, figure it out, and then do the transaction in Japanese. Making a habit out of that is the best way to study and learn. You can use English when doing this too, and you don't need to master any words for it. Navigate the situation and find a way to get the job done. You can reduce the complicated Japanese as much as you need to with the help of the attendant. If they're busy and won't have it, oh well; just do it next time.

I think that thinking of studying Japanese as something you are constantly doing instead of something you get on your bike and go to a class or a club to do is the best way. I always found that the foreigners who learned best were the ones who weaved it into their lives, as opposed to dedicating an hour a week or 30 minutes a night to it. I think the same goes for English speakers in Japan. The best ones are the ones who try to incorporate it into their lives. People who traveled, tried to be my friend, and watched American TV shows usually spoke better than those who just participated in conversations clubs.

The resources to which a JET participant is exposed are basically unlimited. Buying groceries is studying, as are reading a map, talking to a kid, and using the restroom.
    That was beautiful man. Definitely good food for thought. If this was reddit, I'd totally throw some gold your way.

I guess I'm so used to it now because I'm not in Japan that I really try to immerse myself with Language exchange groups and classes on the regular. I feel lucky to live somewhere that I can interact with Japanese people and try to weave it in my life than living in a place where there aren't any native speakers or people fluent in Japanese in the area at all.