Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clair Japanese Study course.

Default Clair Japanese Study course.

Disclaimer: I know the books/course are terrible but the deadlines help me focus on actually studying.

Anyhow, Clair sent out their newsletter. In the letter they list dates which the course starts(Oct 8th) and when the first test is due(Nov 15). The problem is that I haven't received anything (email/books/letter) telling me how the course will be run this time around (2nd year/intermediate). Has anyone heard anything about it or gotten any paperwork from Clair about the course?

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Default Re: Clair Japanese Study course.

I'm enrolled in the beginner course. They sent an email out with log in information to the website. I almost missed mine because gmail sent it to my spam folder. No physical textbook this year. It's all electronic
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Everything is online this year, as they dumped the physical textbooks (they were ok, but not great - clearly designed for the ALT that has one free hour a day...) They've moved everything online, so check your spam folder.

Supposedly they'll actually be teaching functional Japanese, so you can ask for and understand things properly with the half-bastardized keigo that people use around the staff-room.

That's great news that they stopped wasting so much paper every year.

Where does one find this..?
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    Where does one find this..?

ALTs will be enrolled in the CLAIR course by their supervisors when you get to Japan.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    ALTs will be enrolled in the CLAIR course by their supervisors when you get to Japan.
    ALTs will be given sign up papers by their supervisors when they arrive in Japan, and be assisted in filling them out.

CLAIR has nothing to do with its administration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Okay, cool. Thanks guys!
    Andy Dwyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    CLAIR has nothing to do with its administration.
    Definitely true. Do they even have CLAIR branding on the website/resources now?

I dunno. I told em to stuff it two years ago and haven't looked back since.

When the papers come for signup they are CLAIR branded, but I think that's just to give clair your info and the permmission to pass it on. Hopefully they've cleared up the paperwork this year to make it clear what the paperwork is for.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Just to clarify - you aren't required to sign up for the CLAIR courses and can opt out, right? And what level do the lessons/books go up to, about? I'm thinking it might be good to have some external motivation to study Japanese.

If you chose not to do them, you have to indicate why you're not and how you're studying Japanese (if you still need to study). You are expected to be learning Japanese during your term here.

I played along for the first two years then bailed two years ago because I was making more progress studying in my own way and talking with locals in bars. I found the textbooks amazingly frustrating once I got enough kanji under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Saga View Post
    Just to clarify - you aren't required to sign up for the CLAIR courses and can opt out, right? And what level do the lessons/books go up to, about? I'm thinking it might be good to have some external motivation to study Japanese.
    I was asked if I wanted to sign up. I said no. Then my supervisor (and this is the case with pretty much every person in my area who did the same thing) signed me up for it any way and kept hounding me on why I wasn't doing it. For my level, it was too easy and the program was annoying enough for me to not want to trudge through to complete for show. For others it was way too hard (like, they had a grasp of hiragana and that was it, but this was around 2nd year grammar) and they couldn't finish it. It was just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I was asked if I wanted to sign up. I said no. Then my supervisor (and this is the case with pretty much every person in my area who did the same thing) signed me up for it any way and kept hounding me on why I wasn't doing it. For my level, it was too easy and the program was annoying enough for me to not want to trudge through to complete for show. For others it was way too hard (like, they had a grasp of hiragana and that was it, but this was around 2nd year grammar) and they couldn't finish it. It was just weird.
    I have a feeling that my Japanese might be too advance for this. :/. Doesn't seem like opting out is a good idea huh?
    Andy Dwyer.

I have a feeling that my Japanese might be too advance for this. :/. Doesn't seem like opting out is a good idea huh?
    ESID. I never did a page of it after being signed up, no one at work commented. When they asked me if I wanted to do it again I just said no and I was having my own Japanese lessons. That was the end of it.

I mean, take a peek at the course work, but if you don't feel like it's going to be helpful don't take it. From what I heard from the CIRs in our area there was a big CLAIR push to get people to take the class, which resulted in supervisors just signing up their charges without their consent. What I found out was that it DOES actually cost money for the BOEs that you work for if you're enrolled in the class. So, if your supervisor asks you why you haven't done any of the work, bring up that you don't want to, and that you'd like to be removed from the lists. They may grumble a bit, but it's their loss if you don't end up taking it and they don't fix it.

which resulted in supervisors just signing up their charges without their consent.
    How many asshole ALTs is it going to take for them to realise that this trick doesn't work on foreigners? They expect:

Bossman: "we didn't tell you about this but it's already been decided so..."
    NewJapaman: "Oh... I see... I guess I have to then"

But you try that with an American on a temp job and it goes like this:

Guy Jean-kun: "Sounds like someone else's problem, smell ya later!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    How many asshole ALTs is it going to take for them to realise that this trick doesn't work on foreigners? They expect:

NewJapaman: "Oh... I see... I guess I have to then"

But you try that with an American on a temp job and it goes like this:

Guy Jean-kun: "Sounds like someone else's problem, smell ya later!"

Yeah I don't know. The CIR was like, "you're the 10th person to complain about that this week. What were they thinking?"

And really? Americans? Most of the ALTs in my are are from the UK** and they've been signed up and have ignored the classes same as I have. Nice generalizations.

Edit: **By UK I mean people not from the US. Lol. Typical American.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; May 12th, 2015 at 13:17.

Oh well, English people are a bunch of lazy, miserable arseholes, what would you expect?

I just said Americans because they're all about their individual freedumz.

Yeah I don't know. The CIR was like, "you're the 10th person to complain about that this week. What were they thinking?"

And really? Americans? Most of the ALTs in my are are from the UK** and they've been signed up and have ignored the classes same as I have. Nice generalizations.

Edit: **By UK I mean people not from the US. Lol. Typical American.
    Everyone who isn't American is from the UK eh? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Guy Jean-kun
    Very nice!
    Andy Dwyer.