Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statement of Physician and medication

Default Statement of Physician and medication

So, I had a date with the doctor this evening to get my statement of physician done. The doc listed the gout medication that was previously issued to me, but decided to put down "no" for the question on whether he thinks I would need to take medication from 2015 to 2016. I get his reasoning, since as long as I drink lots of water, limit my intake of purine rich food and drink (and um, exercise regularly), I will most likely not have any onset of gout. But, what if I get careless (like what happened earlier this year: gorged on too much beef, lamb and crab on consecutive days due to partying), and do need gout medication? Will this be held against me since my doctor said he doesn't foresee that I will need the medication?

Default Re: Statement of Physician and medication

I doubt it - you can probably defer to your doctor on this one.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    So, I had a date with the doctor this evening to get my statement of physician done. The doc listed the gout medication that was previously issued to me, but decided to put down "no" for the question on whether he thinks I would need to take medication from 2015 to 2016. I get his reasoning, since as long as I drink lots of water, limit my intake of purine rich food and drink (and um, exercise regularly), I will most likely not have any onset of gout. But, what if I get careless (like what happened earlier this year: gorged on too much beef, lamb and crab on consecutive days due to partying), and do need gout medication? Will this be held against me since my doctor said he doesn't foresee that I will need the medication?
    We go by what the doctor says. If he or she clears you for living in Japan without the medicine, that is all we really look at. Anyone can develop a sickness, or allergies or something along those lines while in Japan. If you do, then you just get medication prescribed to you over there and be done with it.

The only time something like this might be held against you is if you somehow conspired with a friend of yours, who happens to be a doctor, and they do not list vital medication you are still taking to avoid the stigma of being someone with X Y Z problem. In that case, you're out!

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    We go by what the doctor says. If he or she clears you for living in Japan without the medicine, that is all we really look at. Anyone can develop a sickness, or allergies or something along those lines while in Japan. If you do, then you just get medication prescribed to you over there and be done with it.
    Ah. The thing is that gout is a chronic condition, but the acute effects of gout is episodic, except for more serious cases, and so long as I am unaffected (which is likely if I'm not being a glutton), no medication is necessary.

The only time something like this might be held against you is if you somehow conspired with a friend of yours, who happens to be a doctor, and they do not list vital medication you are still taking to avoid the stigma of being someone with X Y Z problem. In that case, you're out!
    Nope, I didn't know any of the doctors in the clinic prior to visiting, and besides, the doctor did list the medication that I took, even though I am not currently taking it. However, as "insurance", I intend to bring some medication with me, even if I never have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post

Nope, I didn't know any of the doctors in the clinic prior to visiting, and besides, the doctor did list the medication that I took, even though I am not currently taking it. However, as "insurance", I intend to bring some medication with me, even if I never have to use it.
    Make sure to bring this up in the interview. If the doctor signs a paper that says you dont need medication, and then you try to import some via the Yakkan Shomei(which gets returned to the Consulate office) questions will be raised.

Make sure to bring this up in the interview. If the doctor signs a paper that says you dont need medication, and then you try to import some via the Yakkan Shomei(which gets returned to the Consulate office) questions will be raised.
    Right. Thanks!

I was at an infosession and I was basically told that if it's not a recurring problem that you need to see a doctor about, then you don't really need to mention it...

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I suffer from occasional sinusitis. Don't really need medication, but I figured it's best to let them know. Wouldn't want them to think I'm hiding something.

In the whole doctor vein, I had microplasma pneumonia and whooping cough last year at the same time. I still worked and everything, just too medicine all the freaking time. I'm fine now, but do I still need to get cleared by my doctor for the application, even though it isn't an condition or reoccurring illness?

We received some clarification from Tokyo about the Physician's Form. Here is the official answer from the DC office:

I got an official word on things around SAMF and Physician’s Form. We basically inquired to Tokyo if applicants really need to list ANY past illness/conditions including temporary ones under question #5 on SAMF then provide Physician’s Form. The answer is no, they don’t need to list everything. Tokyo just needs to know applicants’ conditions that might cause difficulties for them to live/work in Japan and/or conditions that require special placement consideration. Therefore, those medical conditions that obviously don’t recur and do not affect their JET participation don’t have to be disclosed. (They should totally note this on the SAMF.)

Likewise, under question #3 (ongoing conditions), common conditions that don’t hinder their JET participation like acne/ear infection can also be omitted. Of course T-land doesn’t have a list of conditions that are in no need to be disclosed, they are saying that we should use our own best judgment.

Examples I confirmed that can be omitted from SAMF and don’t require Physician’s Form are:
    -past mono
    -Acne
    -past broken bone
    -ear/sinus infection
    -chicken pox
    -wisdom teeth removal
    -urinary tract infection

Hope this clarifies some of your concerns!

-MC
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Miami, thanks so much! I'm sure that will put a lot of us at ease.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Would having a physician form (even when I don't need it) hurt my chances?

I figure it wouldn't hurt to get it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post

I don't think it would help or hurt you. If you don't need it based on your SAMF, they'd probably just throw it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post

It would not hurt your chances in the slightest. Its better to have one for something you may think needs to be signed off than Tokyo telling us 2 months down the line that they need clarification on a certain condition. We do not throw away documents, we keep copies of everything just in case
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Thanks for confirming and sharing!

So right as I was about to submit everything, I noticed two potential issues with my physician's form. The first one being that my doctor didn't fill out my middle name, which I figure isn't a huge deal but I might as well ask.
    The second one is that there might be a contradictory statement in his description. In my self-assessment medical form, I'm stating that I've had acid reflux. I took omeprazole daily for a few years, but the symptoms gradually decreased and are presently extremely minor. (I still hold the prescription, but only use it a few times per month at most.) My doctor wrote down that I may occasionally need to treat acid reflux with said prescription (which is available OTC, albeit more expensive), but checked NO in the Applicant's Need for Medication part of the form.
    His point was that my reflux is mild/infrequent enough to not require regular treatment, but in case of a flare up I may "need" to take omeprazole (even though realistically, antacids would work just as well at this point). This all made sense to me when he described it so I didn't question anything he wrote down, but when I re-read the form today it struck me as a bit confusing. Do you think I should to get this changed? Maybe I'm just being paranoid??

Your application sounds fine to me, Barth. Not having your middle name written is fine. You may need to have your acid reflux medicine just like I may need to have XYZ medicine in case something happens to me. Since you're not prescribed to take it regularly, your doctor did not need to mention it as so.

Thanks!

Heheh, Barth, your doctor basically had the same idea as mine. Incidentally, I decided to get a second opinion, and the second doctor told me that there was nothing wrong with the first doctor's statement, so I went ahead and submitted it as-is.

I have a quick question regarding the Statement of Physician, actually, but I don't want to clutter up the board even more by making yet another thread.

If you've had depression or any sort of mental health issue, the UK JET directions say:

'You must enclose a Statement of Physician completed by your psychiatrist, therapist or doctor detailing each condition, when the symptoms became apparent, the cause of the condition, how long the condition lasted and the treatment involved (giving full details of medication if appropriate), as well the results of the treatment and your condition now.'

Which I made clear to my doctor. However, when I got back the form, all he wrote was:

'Past episode of depression which has fully resolved in 2012. I confirm that Mr [my name] is completely fit and healthy and able to work in Japan.'

Will this pass? I imagine it will, but obviously it doesn't follow the guidelines.