Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Interac worth going for?

Default Is Interac worth going for?

So I went through the JET process for this last round, got placed as alternate, never got upgraded.

One night, I was drunk, and applied to Interac for the hell of it. Surprised today when they called me to start setting up interviews.

So I want to ask, is Interac a decent job, or should I just try running through the JET process again?

From everything I've seen, Interac is basically JET with less perks...

Default Re: Is Interac worth going for?

You hit it in one. If you want to come out here that badly, go for it.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

If you aren't interested in saving money, have no real responsibilities, and just want to d*ck around in Japan for a while, then I'd say give it a go. You'll have a bit more choice where placement is concerned, in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I imagine I'll end up applying should I fail to get on JET. The way I figured, I'm not gonna have a chance to travel like this once I start my masters so I might as well go for it.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; October 18th, 2014 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    If you aren't interested in saving money
    Well, I'm barely able to save money now, but I was looking at the Salary page on Interac's website, and there's a lot of deductions and things I'm required to pay.

Anyone have any idea or example of what the yearly salary looks like AFTER all these taxes and insurances are taken out?

I don't know if all the private ALT companies are reputable, but I certainly plan to apply to Interact first. But not until after I know my JET application is all submitted and mailed away.
    I have a few others bookmarked that I'll also apply to most likely, but I'd certainly prefer JET.

This may just because I've spoken to the right people at the right time but the general consensus I have received from friends is that ECC is better than Interac, though Interac seems like a more popular choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tobio View Post
    This may just because I've spoken to the right people at the right time but the general consensus I have received from friends is that ECC is better than Interac, though Interac seems like a more popular choice.
    Looking at their page it seems they offer a better deal. There must be a reason Interac is more popular though.

Might be because placements are better? I must admit that I have heard tons of horror stories about Interac but, once again, maybe just talking to the wrong crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by tobio View Post
    Might be because placements are better? I must admit that I have heard tons of horror stories about Interac but, once again, maybe just talking to the wrong crowd.
    I heard the hours at ECC are weird with you working quite late but meh. I don't mind late shifts if I can get up later.

Quote Originally Posted by firemarth View Post
    Well, I'm barely able to save money now, but I was looking at the Salary page on Interac's website, and there's a lot of deductions and things I'm required to pay.

Anyone have any idea or example of what the yearly salary looks like AFTER all these taxes and insurances are taken out?
    Rent and car were taken out of my check automatically, so on full salary months I got about ¥150000. Food, electric, phone, gas, and petrol would have to come out of that, plus any train fare, clothing, entertainment, etc. The 60% month (August) was hell, the 75% (December) was manageable. April and March are pro-rated as well, though if you're leaving, March won't have any rent deducted. In return, you won't get your last paycheck until May when you're wherever you end up. You can get your Feb pay at the end of March, but if you're already out of the country they charge ¥5000 to send it overseas. You get the generous option to have Feb's pay sent with March at the start of May if you don't want to incur two ¥5000 fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Isn't ECC an Eikaiwa, not an ALT placement? Still teaching English, but that's the reason the hours are going to be wonkier. I'm not 100% sure myself yet, but right now I'm only planning on applying to JET and other places that place ALTs in grade schools, like Interact, and maybe then Altia, Heart, or Borderlink.
    If you're looking at Eikaiwa work, I think Nova and AEON are other big names like ECC worth looking into.

Banned

Was nova reborn from the ashes of a few years ago?

I'm not sure on the details, but it collapsed in 2007 and was back in 2010. I think it's a different company, just using the same name.

There are some direct-hire positions available that might pay better than interac - I would check Gaijinpot as well

Yeah; I'm direct-hire and my pay is comparable to most JETs--if you're in Japan already, direct-hire is usually the way to go. You often have to take what you can get as far as placements are concerned, but you can generally at least find something in a given prefecture. I got pretty lucky. More desirable positions (Tokyo, etc.) will pay significantly less and the competition will be intense.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Of course getting direct hire is usually best, but getting direct hired when not in Japan is rare. In fact I'd be suspicious of any school direct hiring someone not in Japan.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Of course getting direct hire is usually best, but getting direct hired when not in Japan is rare. In fact I'd be suspicious of any school direct hiring someone not in Japan.
    word

I only know of one school that direct-hires ALTs from overseas, and they have some sort of program set up with this university in New York state. I would also be rather suspicious of a school offering to direct-hire an ALT outside of Japan.

Default Is Interac worth going for?

Yeah, I listen to a podcast that discusses many aspects of living in Japan, and the people being interviewed on one show talked about getting work as a direct hire when you live abroad. They said the most feasible way is to apply to an eikaiwa or dispatch company and look for a direct hire position once you arrive in Japan. Once you get your new gig, you quit the eikaiwa job.

It doesn't sound like a nice thing to do though.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Yeah, I listen to a podcast that discusses many aspects of living in Japan, and the people being interviewed on one show talked about getting work as a direct hire when you live abroad. They said the most feasible way is to apply to an eikaiwa or dispatch company and look for a direct hire position once you arrive in Japan. Once you get your new gig, you quit the eikaiwa job.

It doesn't sound like a nice thing to do though.
    It's an Eikaiwa company though. That'd be like calling someone a douche for kicking Kim Jong Il in the goolies.