Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is Interac worth going for?

Default Re: Is Interac worth going for?

I would apply to anywhere that gives me a decent wage to be honest. If it is rubbish then apply direct hire after.
    Last edited by haitch40; October 25th, 2014 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    Interac called me today regarding my application from a couple days ago. They pretty much had two points to hammer home. 1) You're on your own as far as getting a spouse's visa and 2) Are you sure you won't reconsidering driving in Japan?

I pretty much feel like I just got denied already by Interac because I confirmed that I did not want to drive, although they did not explicitly say that. I think they currently only have very rural openings that require driving.

What are other people like me doing? Is anybody applying to JET, Interac, and more places, or would you stop at two? I'm considering just filling out more and more applications at more places. I don't think it can hurt really.
    Point 1. Read my post about spousal viasa.
    Point 2. I have my IDP but i don't drive out here for the simple fact that the bus network works. But i got my IDP because you don't know where you could be placed and its the option. The majority of people don't need to drive but they have that option.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

The optimal choice would be a company that handles the visa, the flight and has a similar wage to JET.

I'm aware the majority won't handle the flight payment, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    The optimal choice would be a company that handles the visa, the flight and has a similar wage to JET.

I'm aware the majority won't handle the flight payment, but a guy can dream, can't he?
    I believe that the only reason JET covers the flight is the fact that they are government backed.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Yeah, bad phrasing, by handle, I'm referring to at least refunding part of the costs.

The companies that actually do this are rare.

Which is why JET is such a good choice when you are applying from outside Japan.

I pretty much feel like I just got denied already by Interac because I confirmed that I did not want to drive, although they did not explicitly say that. I think they currently only have very rural openings that require driving.
    They did the right thing. You are flat-out refusing to undertake a basic lifeskill in Japan despite having the means to do it, so are marking yourself as potentially troublesome from the start.

We get it, you don't like driving, but sometimes we all have to do things we don't want to. It's called compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    They did the right thing. You are flat-out refusing to undertake a basic lifeskill in Japan despite having the means to do it, so are marking yourself as potentially troublesome from the start.

We get it, you don't like driving, but sometimes we all have to do things we don't want to. It's called compromise.
    I didn't say they actually denied me. I'm just advising other people in this thread that they went out of their way to try to get me to change my mind on that point. No need to be a complete and total asshole about it.

Whoa, let's settle down a bit. >_>

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Well, MrCharisma isn't really the settling down type. And despite my bleeding heart i-like-eveyone tendencies, I actually think he's right on the money. Japan values the homogenous, the ordinary and the familiar - coming to it saying 'I can't do x normal thing' gets you pity because you're a poor foreigner, but taking the attitude of 'I can do this thing but have decided I don't want to' makes those feelings evaporate like so much spilled pocari sweat on a hot day. It does mark you out as troublesome, no matter how reasonable it might seem to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

I didn't say they actually denied me. I'm just advising other people in this thread that they went out of their way to try to get me to change my mind on that point. No need to be a complete and total asshole about it.
    Actually, several times we have tried to help you and give advice from those who have been through the grind of applying, but each time you either ignore us or insult us. You have even ignored advice given by official JET co-ordinators believing that you know best.
    It will be good if Interac deny you though as i have had it heard that they accept anyone and everyone. Would be nice for that to be proved untrue.

...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Well, MrCharisma isn't really the settling down type. And despite my bleeding heart i-like-eveyone tendencies, I actually think he's right on the money. Japan values the homogenous, the ordinary and the familiar - coming to it saying 'I can't do x normal thing' gets you pity because you're a poor foreigner, but taking the attitude of 'I can do this thing but have decided I don't want to' makes those feelings evaporate like so much spilled pocari sweat on a hot day. It does mark you out as troublesome, no matter how reasonable it might seem to you.
    SomePeople hit the nail on the head - Japanese people often want you to offer to do stuff even if it's not technically in your job description, because then they don't have to ask you. Japanese offices run on people offering to do things they might not be required to/probably don't want to, and being willing to do extra is seen as a point on your application, I'm sure.

If that's the only way to get you to listen that's what I'll have to do.

Driving is one of the most useful skills you'll ever learn. Refusing to drive because you don't enjoy it achieves nothing but a sharp drop in your employment prospects, as you seem to be finding out.

Be more flexible on this and you will be far more likely to find work in Japan and enjoy your time here.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; October 26th, 2014 at 20:27.

Ok guys, let's keep it civil - this horse has probably been beaten enough by now

I knew they don't help with the spouse visa up front, and I'm certainly flexible on many other things. I was just posting about what I thought they seemed interested in telling me and spent more time on than some other topics, for the benefit of others here. The Interact recruiter that called certainly asked me about a lot of other mundane things.

Not really sure how I'm coming off with a "gimme mine" attitude though, because I certainly don't feel that way.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

I knew they don't help with the spouse visa up front, and I'm certainly flexible on many other things. I was just posting about what I thought they seemed interested in telling me and spent more time on than some other topics, for the benefit of others here. The Interact recruiter that called certainly asked me about a lot of other mundane things.

Not really sure how I'm coming off with a "gimme mine" attitude though, because I certainly don't feel that way.
    so one of the mods deleted my comment, because they are stupid... anywho

you may not feel that way. But the point still stands, you and anyone really, isn't irreplaceable. They are testing the waters and seeing if you would be willing to drive, and are probably doing it to other applicants too. They'll pick the most flexible fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I think everything that needed to be said in this thread has been. The tone of much of the recent discussion has been rather inappropriate for Applying, so I'm going to lock this thread in an attempt to put a stop to it. If anyone would like to discuss application to Interact, driving in Japan, etc., please feel free to do so in another thread. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.