Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 536

Thread: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

  1. #1

    Default Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Hello!

    I've been collating my application folder over the last few weeks and am staring down the personal statement (SOP) at the minute!

    Just wondering how we're all getting along?

    Applications haven't opened yet and it's mid October. Was the UK process like this in previous years?

    Waiting to get my hands on the medical forms to tick that off the list.

    Good luck!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Hey there!

    I've just spent all night writing the personal statement that I've been putting off for months... I'm awful at writing those things! I hate how pompous and fake I end up sounding. How is yours coming along?

    In previous years applications have opened sometime this week. It's usually pretty late in October so this is normal. Kinda wish they specified late October on their page though. I was eagerly refreshing the page October 1st too much

    I'm eager to get the medical form and stuff ticked off as well! At first I thought they were going to be the easiest part to get but they're working out to be the most stressful part

  3. #3

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Hiya!

    I applied a couple of years back and I seem to remember it being late September (but my memory is quite bad :3), but they have opened it later and later each year since.. All the more time for us to prepare

    I've got all my medical stuff sorted early (yay) and statement is well underway. Currently harassing my colleagues to proof read it.

    I know how you feel about sounding pompous! That's my biggest worry..

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    From what I read in the American Aspiring thread it sounds like if the online application form has any errors they has to deal with a lot of bureaucracy before it can be changed and so slows down the process of going live.

    By the way, how did your last application go daisy?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully by the time we get it then, it should run smoothly.

    My last application was successful, I was placed and supposed to be there in the 2013-2014 period but sadly had to withdraw before the leaving date due to personal reasons. They've confirmed they would be happy for me to reapply as it wasn't my fault, so I'm giving it another shot this year fingers crossed.

    Have you applied before?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Ah congratulations I guess but it sucks you didn't get to follow through with it.

    Nope, this is is my first time applying so I'm pretty nervous about it all. While some people say interviews are nice I've heard some horror stories haha

  7. #7

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Thank you, it was a tough decision but the right one, I'm in a much better position to apply now I am hoping!

    I heard all the horror stories too but from my experience, they were very pleasant and professional people, asked very nice questions that were appropriate to me and my experience, no 'trick questions' or anything like that. I was still absolutely terrified but it wasn't any where near as horrendous as other people had said theirs was!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    God, this thread is dead. Not too surprising as the number of Brits who go to Japan is pitifully low. I think per capita we must have the lowest number of teachers over there. I remember speaking to some head honcho at the Edinburgh consulate a while back and he was telling me how low the numbers are for UK graduates going to Japan. I think their problem is that they have to compete with the EU and SE Asia to retain graduates wanting to live abroad and teach. I don't think I've ever met a British person outside of Tokyo before. I've met more random British people when I did inter-railing in Kazakhstan.

    I might apply this year but I don't think I'll get a interview. I'm a little ambivalent about the whole thing and am leaning more towards China or Korea. The only thing angling me towards Japan is the fact that my fiancee lives in Japan. Lived in Tokyo for three years and have N1 but moved back to the UK after my brother got sick. Was moving towards CIR but I hardly use my Japanese in a professional capacity anymore and having known two of the four UK grads that went during my first application I know how retarded your Japanese level has to be. (Way higher than the recommended N2.)

    I did one of the JET interviews about four years ago when I first graduated and even back then it was laughable. Certainly nothing compared to doing group interviews and the whole 2 day recruitment sessions you have to do for insurance jobs in the City. I got placed on the alternate list but turned it down in favour of doing something else non-teaching related. The only advice I can give you is to first downplay the whole dorky anime/manga stuff (sorry if that offends anyone) but again the people I know who get insta-rejected in the first round were those who were weeaboos basically. Nice people, but would I really want these people teaching my kids English? Fine to like it or whatever, but keep that stuff out of the application process and big up other international stuff. I think if you are young, female and 'genki' you can pretty much write your own plane-ticket.

    Anyways if memory serves the application is normally out the last Friday in October which would be the 31st.

  9. #9
    Constant Fu*kup sharpinthefang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    God, this thread is dead. Not too surprising as the number of Brits who go to Japan is pitifully low. I think per capita we must have the lowest number of teachers over there. I remember speaking to some head honcho at the Edinburgh consulate a while back and he was telling me how low the numbers are for UK graduates going to Japan. I think their problem is that they have to compete with the EU and SE Asia to retain graduates wanting to live abroad and teach. I don't think I've ever met a British person outside of Tokyo before. I've met more random British people when I did inter-railing in Kazakhstan.

    I might apply this year but I don't think I'll get a interview. I'm a little ambivalent about the whole thing and am leaning more towards China or Korea. The only thing angling me towards Japan is the fact that my fiancee lives in Japan. Lived in Tokyo for three years and have N1 but moved back to the UK after my brother got sick. Was moving towards CIR but I hardly use my Japanese in a professional capacity anymore and having known two of the four UK grads that went during my first application I know how retarded your Japanese level has to be. (Way higher than the recommended N2.)

    I did one of the JET interviews about four years ago when I first graduated and even back then it was laughable. Certainly nothing compared to doing group interviews and the whole 2 day recruitment sessions you have to do for insurance jobs in the City. I got placed on the alternate list but turned it down in favour of doing something else non-teaching related. The only advice I can give you is to first downplay the whole dorky anime/manga stuff (sorry if that offends anyone) but again the people I know who get insta-rejected in the first round were those who were weeaboos basically. Nice people, but would I really want these people teaching my kids English? Fine to like it or whatever, but keep that stuff out of the application process and big up other international stuff. I think if you are young, female and 'genki' you can pretty much write your own plane-ticket.

    Anyways if memory serves the application is normally out the last Friday in October which would be the 31st.
    HAHAHAH!!!
    I live no where near Tokyo and can confirm that in the city i live in, the Brits outnumber every other nationality by about 3 to 1, and theres nearly 4,000 foreigners in this city.
    And being young and female and genki does not automatically get you a plane ticket, perhaps it only appears that way because you were not accepted at first try with your amazing level of Japanese and Japanese fiancée.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Funnily enough, I mentioned Pokemon in my statement and was given an interview but it was to explain my initial exposure to Japanese pop culture as a kid, and how that led to a wider interest in the country and culture as I got older. After that I mentioned nothing about anime/manga - the rest was my work experience and so on.

    I think as long as you be yourself (and sensible about it - not coming across as you're a complete manga fan etc.) and be professional too, you'll be fine. Male or female - experience and a good attitude are what counts. I think it's the flexibility and ability to adapt that you have to get through in your statement.

  11. #11
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Quote Originally Posted by daisychain View Post
    Funnily enough, I mentioned Pokemon in my statement and was given an interview but it was to explain my initial exposure to Japanese pop culture as a kid, and how that led to a wider interest in the country and culture as I got older. After that I mentioned nothing about anime/manga - the rest was my work experience and so on.

    I think as long as you be yourself (and sensible about it - not coming across as you're a complete manga fan etc.) and be professional too, you'll be fine. Male or female - experience and a good attitude are what counts. I think it's the flexibility and ability to adapt that you have to get through in your statement.
    That's a very sensible way to approach an interest in animation and more "pop" culture components of Japan. They can certainly be an initial interest driver that leads to something more, but there is a difference between that being an initial component of interest, and a current driving factor. I won't lie, I watched sailor moon and dragonball on tv when I was a kid and it definitely got my interest in Japan started (along with my friends CONSTANT talking about karate)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    A heads up.. UK Applications are now open!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    I've only been loosely following the US applicant thread, but am I right in thinking this form has the similar problem of overrunning text not being visible on the printout? Does it print as what you see on screen or does it accommodate for more text that you'd scroll down to see online?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Quote Originally Posted by T.H.S. View Post
    I've only been loosely following the US applicant thread, but am I right in thinking this form has the similar problem of overrunning text not being visible on the printout? Does it print as what you see on screen or does it accommodate for more text that you'd scroll down to see online?
    The online web form had this issue where it was really difficult to make out if the text was being accommodated correctly last year (this also seems to be the trend this year). But the print out was just fine. I haven't printed out the forms for this year yet (probably sort everything out this Sunday) and will let you know if there are any problems.

    Edit: Example of previous form... removed any data prevalent to me Form would scroll up and down as usual when columns were filled, but in the print spaced out just fine.
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by Shiro_Kuma; October 28th, 2014 at 02:36.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Good luck to all those replying. I have just been tweaking my sop from last year as it was pretty solid. Accomadating the fact I was an alternate last year and new work experience then just waiting on academic transcripts and I should be set

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Do any of you guys know exactly what the authorisation and release form lets them do or what they intend to use it for? It sounds like I'm giving them a free-for-all on my every bit of my personal information The "free from any and all liability of every nature" doesn't sound too nice either!

  17. #17
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    I imagine it allows them to release your application to the final screening committee in Tokyo, who will show it to the Japanese education boards so they can decide if they'd like to hire you.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Okay, thanks! Sounds reasonable. I had signed it anyway so I just wanted to know what I'd committed to.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    Good luck everyone!

    Just wanted to check in - I'm filling in the education section and it says "
    Year and month of completion of upper secondary school"

    What do they mean by 'upper secondary school' - I've never heard this term used before - do they mean GCSE's or A Levels?



  20. #20

    Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

    It's the US term for Sixth Form in UK so A Levels

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •