Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

Quote Originally Posted by prazza View Post
    I like to think I put a lot of interesting stuff in my application. Creative achievements, experiences living abroad, jobs, working with kids...

Like I said before, I'm way, way better a candidate than when I applied previously (years ago) - I've had all kinds of crazy experiences - so I have no idea why I was good enough to interview then but not now. I'm still kind of devastated about it, and it's painful because I don't know if it's even worth applying again next year or what.
    I'm sorry you didn't make it. Is there a reason you specifically have your heart set on JET?

I just ask because it seems like you have enough qualifications where you could easily be hired on with a private ALT company where you are essentially doing the same thing.

I know it's a big deal for many people (it was for me too), but in the end it's still an ALT job. You can make your stay in Japan what you want whether it be JET, Interac, or any other ALT company.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I'm sorry you didn't make it. Is there a reason you specifically have your heart set on JET?

I just ask because it seems like you have enough qualifications where you could easily be hired on with a private ALT company where you are essentially doing the same thing.

I know it's a big deal for many people (it was for me too), but in the end it's still an ALT job. You can make your stay in Japan what you want whether it be JET, Interac, or any other ALT company.
    So true. In fact, being a JET can be a pain in the ass in some ways.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    So true. In fact, being a JET can be a pain in the ass in some ways.
    How so apart from the fact you can't work 2 jobs and the fact you get less choice in your placement?

Well that was an agonising wait! Got my rejection letter this morning. I must have been the last person in the UK to hear back Oh well. Off to research Interac/my other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    How so apart from the fact you can't work 2 jobs and the fact you get less choice in your placement?
    You just gave two examples. Additionally, JET ALTs work for the contracting organization (ie city) instead of a private company, and answer directly to the bureaucrats. I am a sneak, and I figured out a bunch of loopholes, but I still frequently had to sit around in city hall or the community center watching youtube while school wasn't in, while my Interac best friend was taking road trips and still getting paid. I also had to prepare a 70-minute presentation with my JTE (who spoke almost zero English) for a giant Mid-Year Conference, as well as one for an initial training for new ALTs.

I'm not saying Interac is better, just that being a JET isn't better in every way.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; February 14th, 2015 at 00:52.
    車庫 B1F

My understanding - based on knowing people who've done Jet, and people who've done Interac and other private companies - is that Jet is the nicest route (as in they take care of you), and the most prestigious one (not that I imagine it to be particularly glamorous). I really liked the idea of working in a school and hanging out with the kids, being the token foreigner. I've also heard some horror stories about Interac et al; my friend who's been with Interac for several years says he's broke most of the time.

I also don't have a TEFL qualification. I might do one if it helps me get back out to Japan, but I haven't thought it hard yet.
    Last edited by prazza; February 14th, 2015 at 02:12.

In case any of you are curious and haven't seen, UK JET tweeted that applicants will hear back in April (but the date is not confirmed yet). So as we expected.

I hope it's early April. I can get through February and March fine, but I imagine once it's April I'll start getting more anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by OtherPulse View Post
    I hope it's early April. I can get through February and March fine, but I imagine once it's April I'll start getting more anxious.
    Last year it was the first week of April. Hopefully it's the same again.

My understanding - based on knowing people who've done Jet, and people who've done Interac and other private companies - is that Jet is the nicest route (as in they take care of you), and the most prestigious one (not that I imagine it to be particularly glamorous). I really liked the idea of working in a school and hanging out with the kids, being the token foreigner. I've also heard some horror stories about Interac et al; my friend who's been with Interac for several years says he's broke most of the time.

I also don't have a TEFL qualification. I might do one if it helps me get back out to Japan, but I haven't thought it hard yet.
    JET might be the nicer route with more support but I have to tell you in the end an ALT is an ALT. Try looking into some companies aside from Interac as well, there are some companies out there that are perfectly fine.

Two weeks lads. How are we feeling?

Interac is total ESID.
    I worked for them for a few months. I was expecting pretty horrible stuff, lots of talk of different forms to fill in and performance reviews and other stuff that is way too serious for the minimum wage drudgery that it is....
    But it turned out the head of my branch was pretty relaxed about everything and didn't much follow any of that

Sitting around and doing nothing isn't all its cracked up to be.
    Also all the waiting and drawn out recruitment time.
    Last edited by Tyr; March 21st, 2015 at 02:01.

The wait has gone surprisingly fast for me. I thought that February and March would drag on and on. I guess this semester being my last semester of uni is making things feel like they're going really fast.

Hi guys. Another waiter here Had interview on 29th Jan in London. Been fine all Feb but this month I am being driven crazy by the suspense. I just wanna know, then I can plan, or look for another job. Raaaahhhhh

The wait has gone by pretty quickly. The worst thing about the wait though has to be the constant questions from friends and family asking if you've heard back about "that Japan thing". I'd rather not think about it until I get the result!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomonster View Post
    The wait has gone by pretty quickly. The worst thing about the wait though has to be the constant questions from friends and family asking if you've heard back about "that Japan thing". I'd rather not think about it until I get the result!
    Oh I know.
    And right after the interview...
    Everyone: 'when will you find out?'
    Me: 'April'
    Everyone: 'APRIL!!!!!! That's a ridiculous wait!'
    Sooooo annoying

The worst thing about the wait though has to be the constant questions from friends and family asking if you've heard back about "that Japan thing".
    This is too real.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlee22 View Post
    This is too real.
    I barely told anyone because of that, especially considering chances are I'll be rejected .

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I barely told anyone because of that, especially considering chances are I'll be rejected .
    I have screwed up before applying then. Everyone knows I want to apply for next year.

This.

February flew by, but now I'm really feeling it. Also, everyone asking me just makes it worse.