Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

Default Re: Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

They made a point to ask me about how I jumped from teaching GCSE Chemistry and Physics to BSc level programming, plus which one I preferred. My first thought was 'The group that listens.' but then... that's unfair on the University guys, they try but there's only so much of me they can listen too.

I was asked what I thought and understood the role of an ALT would be. I essentially described what I do in my University lectures when I'm assisting and that got a pretty positive response. My interview only took about 4 mins tops and not once did they laugh at my dry attempts at humour.

4 minutes? That seems remarkably short? I think mine was 15 - 20.

And yeah, anyone who has an interview yet to come - cracking jokes looks like a bad idea. I made a half-hearted attempt to make them laugh and they looked at me like I was a fucking idiot. Which I likely was.

My interviewers asked about my teaching assistant job currently, which is with a smaller about of students, and then asked how I'd cope with a large class of 40ish, which I was alright with as I have experience assisting in large classes as well.

I didn't get any questions about my prefecture preferences though, the main ones about Japan were how I would cope living there and what I thought were the greatest similarities and differences between the UK and Japan. Still find it weird that I only had two interviewers though, haven't heard anyone else say they had the same yet.

I mean, I wasn't trying too hard with the humour. Nothing above normal it was more to relax myself than make them laugh.
    As normal, these things sound better in your head. It's best to keep them there.

I was ready to leave and sat waiting on the other side of the double doors before the next interviewee was even waiting outside. Yeah... I don't think it was promising.

Edit: Yeah, I also had 2 interviewers. An older English woman and a middle age Japanese guy who spoke very fast Japanese too me. My confusion must've been obvious, he stopped and swapped to very fast English instead.
    Last edited by anakha3263; January 30th, 2015 at 07:15.

It's reassuring hearing that trying to make it light with jokes might not have been the best way, I felt that I might have been a bit too bland. Frankly I think my interview was one of non distinct competence, which I'm happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by anakha3263 View Post
    My interview only took about 4 mins tops and not once did they laugh at my dry attempts at humour.
    I'm taking a short interview as a good sign, that seems to be the general gist from what I've heard from other people, which is reassuring.

Yeah, I also had 2 interviewers. An older English woman and a middle age Japanese guy who spoke very fast Japanese too me. My confusion must've been obvious, he stopped and swapped to very fast English instead.
    Sounds like you got the same as me, can you remember if the woman was called Ruth?. I put my Japanese as elementary so I didn't have to deal with that issue, I found them both quite friendly.

I also had two interviewers.

I had two interviewers. Japanese lady (I think she was called Hiroko) and a young English guy.

She might've been, I wasn't too interested in names if I'm honest. The woman was very soft spoken and the guy spoke way too fast.
    They were very interested in why I was learning Korean at the same time and by interest I mean... 'You indicated an interest in Korea. Why? And how does this relate to your interests in Japan? What would Korea offer you? Why Japan instead of Korea? Why did you visit Korea?'

I went there for my 21st birthday, I like adventure... so I went somewhere no one else in my family had been. Korean game studios made my favourite games, it's a benefit to learn the language the patch notes are in.
    They were not friendly to me at all.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Sounds to me like they were being Japanese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmtcts View Post
    My interviewers asked about my teaching assistant job currently, which is with a smaller about of students, and then asked how I'd cope with a large class of 40ish, which I was alright with as I have experience assisting in large classes as well.

I didn't get any questions about my prefecture preferences though, the main ones about Japan were how I would cope living there and what I thought were the greatest similarities and differences between the UK and Japan. Still find it weird that I only had two interviewers though, haven't heard anyone else say they had the same yet.
    And what did you say to the similarities and differences and how you would cope? Sorry for all these questions I am just interested.
    She might've been, I wasn't too interested in names if I'm honest. The woman was very soft spoken and the guy spoke way too fast.
    They were very interested in why I was learning Korean at the same time and by interest I mean... 'You indicated an interest in Korea. Why? And how does this relate to your interests in Japan? What would Korea offer you? Why Japan instead of Korea? Why did you visit Korea?'

I went there for my 21st birthday, I like adventure... so I went somewhere no one else in my family had been. Korean game studios made my favourite games, it's a benefit to learn the language the patch notes are in.
    Video games are rarely a reason to learn a whole language. That is what they were thinking.

When it's the business you're going into and the degree you're studying for, it's beneficial to know the language of the companies that you are most interested in. Which is a fair answer I thought.
    Until I realised that made it sound like I was more interested in Game Dev than teaching... which made me rather more nervous.

Plus Hangul is an easy language and I'd rather start building a library from my ABCs before jumping into Assembly.

I said that both the UK and Japan excel in the field of Science and Education, whereas the UK has quite a diverse culture and Japan is more homogenous. Can't really remember much of what I said about how I would cope, probably something along the lines of how I didn't have any problems when I lived in India, I wouldn't be going alone, I'd be going with my wife, it'd only be for a year or two so I'd feel like I should make the most of it etc.

TBH I imagine that scored you a load of points. You've shown interest in other cultures, dedication to learning a language, and have experiences outside of the UK.

You know I didn't think of it like that. I thought they'd be more interested in my teaching experiences, rather than what other places I'd been.
    You've given me renewed hope, person on the internet. I hope to see you at orientation.
    I'm setting off people's email inbox' rather a lot.
    Also... plural of inbox. Would it be like the plural s where you'd just add an apostrophe? It doesn't look right, but it sounds right.

You know I didn't think of it like that. I thought they'd be more interested in my teaching experiences, rather than what other places I'd been.
    You've given me renewed hope, person on the internet. I hope to see you at orientation.
    I'm setting off people's email inbox' rather a lot.
    Also... plural of inbox. Would it be like the plural s where you'd just add an apostrophe? It doesn't look right, but it sounds right.
    Inboxes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjumero View Post
    Inboxes ?
    Yes.

Hrgggjs. Must... restrain... inner... grammar... nazi.... ggkffff...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

the plural of inbox is inboxi. You only need an apostrophe if you are writing in Australia, where they also honour the traditional English spelling, inbouxi'.

Clear enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Yes.

Don't ! It's the better kind of nazis ! (better = between the two implied (grammar and ''original''), just so you don't say , it's the best kind ) I saw it coming

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post

This is a forum for people wanting to be English teachers. Grammar Nazi away.

I thought it was inbopodes.
    Only in Wales and Afghanistan.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.