Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    It's been a while since I've seen anyone mention applying for a second stint on JET, going back into the archive in fact. I must admit I was disappointed to not receive an interview last year - not that being an ex-JET makes that a right at all, but it made me wonder just how different the selection process may be towards potential returners. Can anyone offer any further insight?


    Whilst for first-timers neither formal teaching skills nor Japanese are a necessity, we know they are looked upon well in an application. Could it be that second-timers generally must have a formal teaching certificate and reasonable level of Japanese... presumably anyone who has or knows someone who has been accepted for a second time on JET might be able to shed some light on this?


    It seems obvious that just saying you want to come back because you had such a great experience the first time around is not going to get you anywhere. I endeavoured to show a clear purpose and career goal that made a return to JET desirable, but mainly what I could offer the programme. Apparently my perception of what they are looking for in a 2nd-time JET is a bit off, but I'm going to give it another shot.


    Also, getting a bit more conspiratorial here, is there anything to suggest that they might reference our previous performance on JET towards a second-time application? I'm confident that I was a good and reliable ALT, but there was at least one occasion when I may have pissed my supervisor off. Have I managed to end up on some sort of CLAIR blacklist?!?


    Finally, are there any other ex-JETs applying to return this time around?


    Good luck all.

  2. #2
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgington View Post
    It's been a while since I've seen anyone mention applying for a second stint on JET, going back into the archive in fact. I must admit I was disappointed to not receive an interview last year - not that being an ex-JET makes that a right at all, but it made me wonder just how different the selection process may be towards potential returners. Can anyone offer any further insight?


    Whilst for first-timers neither formal teaching skills nor Japanese are a necessity, we know they are looked upon well in an application. Could it be that second-timers generally must have a formal teaching certificate and reasonable level of Japanese... presumably anyone who has or knows someone who has been accepted for a second time on JET might be able to shed some light on this?


    It seems obvious that just saying you want to come back because you had such a great experience the first time around is not going to get you anywhere. I endeavoured to show a clear purpose and career goal that made a return to JET desirable, but mainly what I could offer the programme. Apparently my perception of what they are looking for in a 2nd-time JET is a bit off, but I'm going to give it another shot.


    Also, getting a bit more conspiratorial here, is there anything to suggest that they might reference our previous performance on JET towards a second-time application? I'm confident that I was a good and reliable ALT, but there was at least one occasion when I may have pissed my supervisor off. Have I managed to end up on some sort of CLAIR blacklist?!?


    Finally, are there any other ex-JETs applying to return this time around?


    Good luck all.
    The review process for everyone is the same. Being a 2nd time applicant has no bearing on how you are scored.

    In 2013, i sent 2 second time applicants. They were a married couple, and actually were able to be placed very close to each other.

    There is no internal CLAIR blacklist either. 1/2 of jets would not be asked to recontract if pissing off their supervisors meant a blacklist.

    There is no way to know why you didnt receive an interview this time around since dc does not share that information. The review process is rough because essentially, nearly 50% of applicants wont get an interview(usa numbers, dunno about other countries). Maybe it was that last year the competition was tighter than the last time you applied. Maybe you accidentally forgot a piece of the application? Who knows.

    Rest assured, there are no extra requirements for 2nd time applicants. Technically, you should have an upper hand since you have been through the process before and have at least some formal teaching experience, which many applicants lack.

    Best of luck this time around,

    -MC

  3. #3
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    1/2 of jets would not be asked to recontract if pissing off their supervisors meant a blacklist.
    LOL word

    I am living proof.
    Last edited by word; October 22nd, 2014 at 11:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    1/2 of jets would not be asked to recontract if pissing off their supervisors meant a blacklist.
    I think that's a conservative estimate.

  5. #5
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I think that's a conservative estimate.
    Yeah, i was trying to be nice

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    I'm a previous JET applying to return this year. I was short-listed last time around, but we'll have to see how it goes.

  7. #7
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    My friend was a previous jet and has no teaching experience and got in three years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Wicket was a two-time JET and probably could've told you something about the process, but I imagine she's died of old age by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    My friend was a previous jet and has no teaching experience and got in three years ago.
    That is both awesome and terribly sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Wicket was a two-time JET and probably could've told you something about the process, but I imagine she's died of old age by now.
    She was also a nutter, so I wouldn't trust her POV too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  11. #11
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Well seriously, he taught es so in neve actually really taught, and when he applied for jet the second time it was so he could move back to japan with his wife and son.

    He used jet round two as a stepping stone for getting life started back up in Japan and has moved into much better work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  12. #12
    Resident ewok wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    word and uthinkimlost are correct - i am both ancient and crazy, however for what it's worth to the OP, my interview panel grilled me regarding how i could possibly get any level of satisfaction out of being an assistant teacher having had a previous stint on JET and 10 years following that in my own classroom. other than that, the rest of the interview was pretty much the same as the first time around.
    i don't know. i start feeling nostalgic for osaka and come on here to help out a noob (well, new to doing things a second time, anyway) and find that word and uthinkimlost are still pining for my cranky old lady comments. so sweet.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

  13. #13

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Hedgington, if it means anything, I think that returning JETs have an even EASIER time getting into the program due to their past experience. It's hard to argue to not hire someone who already has done exactly what the job you're looking to fill is. If you didn't make it to the interview round it could be that your application was incomplete (for example, you didn't turn in community college transcripts). Even though you turned in a complete application the first time you applied for JET doesn't mean you could have accidentally overlooked something this time around. Unfortunately the Embassy does not divulge why someone did or did not make it to the interview round, so you won't know why you didn't make it. My only advice would be to be damn sure that everything is in order before you mail the package to DC.

    Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    word and uthinkimlost are correct - i am both ancient and crazy, however for what it's worth to the OP, my interview panel grilled me regarding how i could possibly get any level of satisfaction out of being an assistant teacher having had a previous stint on JET and 10 years following that in my own classroom. other than that, the rest of the interview was pretty much the same as the first time around.
    This. From our perspective, an ex-JET reapplying to the program has both strong pros and cons. The pros are that you've already done the job so you're experienced and theoretically should be a better, more informed JET this time around. The cons are that your interviewers may give pause as to exactly why you want to go on JET again. Usually alumni who reapply to JET are older (in their 30's) and the panel may wonder what you have been doing since you came back from JET. If you have a full-time career, why would you want to go back on JET? Is it really for the kids and for intercultural exchange, or is there some other hidden issue that's driving your decision? If you don't have a full-time career after you came back from JET, why not? We want to see JET alumni being very proactive members of the US-Japan relationship-building community. Were you an active alumni? If you weren't an active alumni, that may give us pause as to whether or not we want to reinvest in you on the JET Program. These are just a few examples of what could be running through an interviewer's mind. So your experience as a JET alumni can really be a double-edged sword; while we may feel confident in your ability to execute your duties, that may lead us to focus more on your underlying motivations.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    I'm a previous JET (2005-2007) and have applied again. I've got an interview, so hopefully it pans out for me again.

  15. #15
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    I was a JET ALT from 2009 to 2012. I just applied to be a CIR as soon as I became eligible to apply again. I got an interview. It was today.

  16. #16
    Member caffeinedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London, UK (formerly Mie)
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Do you have to wait three years before reapplying or two years? I mean, if you are successful with the former there's technically a four year gap, whereas the latter means there's a three year gap in total.
    "Man is the plaything of the gods, and that is the best of him; and so we should play the noblest games" -Plato

  17. #17
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I was a JET ALT from 2009 to 2012. I just applied to be a CIR as soon as I became eligible to apply again. I got an interview. It was today.
    How did it go?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I was a JET ALT from 2009 to 2012. I just applied to be a CIR as soon as I became eligible to apply again. I got an interview. It was today.
    How much Japanese did you know before starting in 09?

  19. #19
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    The interview went well, thanks!

    I knew an intermediate level of Japanese when I started the first time. I wasn't fluent, but I could, for example, go to the post office and ask questions about sending a package somewhere.
    車庫 B1F

  20. #20
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

    And, 3 year gap. I returned home in 8/12, and I applied again in 10/14 for start in 8/15.
    That may not be policy though. It might change year by year.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; February 8th, 2015 at 15:08.
    車庫 B1F

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •