Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

Default Re: Ex-JETs applying to return to the programme

I'm from Illinois actually.

And yes I wasn't thinking about the pay and tax changes. It's not quite as good a deal as it was when I started, and if I had to pay taxes from the beginning it's definitely not all that attractive.

I had the same experience as BifCarbet though coming back- the salaries for lower entry level jobs are not very good and cost of living is actually higher here than in a lot of parts of Japan. You're looking at $1,000 minimum for a 1 br apartment, often even more than that. Not to mention 2 cars are essential.

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I realize there's not a lot of reason to do JET again.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'd only recommend it if you needed a starter back in the country. Otherwise total waste of time.
    Last edited by Gizmotech; July 17th, 2015 at 05:44. Reason: 5:30 am fuckup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'd only recommend it if it would improve your circumstances.
    車庫 B1F

Yeah, I'd have work permission as a spouse of a jeeperneezer so now that I think about it rationally there's not much reason at all to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Yeah, I'd have work permission as a spouse of a jeeperneezer so now that I think about it rationally there's not much reason at all to do it.
    helps
    I'm sure you don't need JET.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Does anyone know any examples of the kinds of work CIRs have done after finishing up?

I am entertaining the insane idea of reapplying as a CIR and going back. My only concern is what I would do after the program ended. Is it a pipedream to hope I'd be doing anything other than ALTing or being the token gaijin at some sort of government office?
    There's tonnes of them. I currently work with 2 ex-CIRs and we have nothing to do with teaching English. I know a guy who ended up at Sony (investor relations), a few have started their own businesses (and not just freelancing either) and you also see quite a few that end up with jobs at domestic universities. Guess it's also going to come down to what other skills you have besides the fact that you can speak good Japanese.
    Having said that, the CIR position does give you a good skill-set in that you're usually very good at multitasking and could pretty much transition into any Japanese office fairly smoothly.
    On the flip side, ex-CIRs that end up returning to their own countries do tend to get better jobs imho. Not always the case, but it's hardly a rare sight to see ex-CIRs working in embassy/ consulate positions back in their home countries.
    Would only really do JET a second time if you were applying for the CIR position as a former ALT. Just remember though, you are essentially playing Russian roulette with what type of placement you will end up getting. *waves at Kochi CIRs*

Besides, ALTs that reapply as ALTs generally scare the hell out of me
    Last edited by GodInStrafeMode; September 10th, 2015 at 15:56. Reason: brain onara
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\