Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Descriptions and Content

Default Descriptions and Content

Greetings everyone.

I have been slowly filling out what information I can on the current JET application and have run into some concerns in several of its sections. The pages titled Japan related studies, international/intercultural experience, achievements/activities, etc., all provide space for a description of each relevant experience...very LITTLE space at that.

Due to the limited words one can use to describe or summarize a class taken, position held, etc., what might be the best strategy to fill in these spaces without sounding unprofessional? Do complete sentences matter in this situation? Many thanks!

Default Re: Descriptions and Content

I was thinking the same thing! I've been having to abbreviate and leave out periods and articles sometimes just to make a cohesive thought. Otherwise the reader would have no idea what I'm trying to say, no matter how brief I am.

I read elsewhere that someone explained things in further detail on a separate piece of paper and attached it to each page of the app, but that sounds like something they would NOT want you to do.

Maybe they want you to be purposefully brief so they can ask you more in the interview? I guess the SOP is where they expect you to elaborate on things.
    Last edited by Verbatim; October 22nd, 2014 at 23:17.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
    I read elsewhere that someone explained things in further detail on a separate piece of paper and attached it to each page of the app, but that sounds like something they would NOT want you to do.

Maybe they want you to be purposefully brief so they can ask you more in the interview? I guess the SOP is where they expect you to elaborate on things.
    Only send in additional papers explaining in detail if the application specifically requests it. I think in the educational background where it asks about classes you have taken it does give permission to do this. Do not send exra papers unless they ask you to though. Keep things brief. Trust me, when you habve 5000+ application, you dont want to read pages of information on how applicant A did (inser activities here) at said job. Its always an issue trying to figure out how much space to assign each block on the application. Just try and do your best with the space given to you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Also in employment activities keep the description to relevant things to the jet job. Honestly if you're putting in something like "worked at the gap" the fact you talked to customers and folded shirts is of little relevance to jet as it would be assumed part of the job. But "was top sales associate for two months" is an actual accomplishment which is relevant.

The same can be said of extra curricular activities. Went to anime club. Great you're done. Was leader of anime club, much more important to say and provide details.

Now if you're a special snowflake whose been to every japanese event ever on the western seaboard, chose those of highest prestige or accomplishment and leave out the trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech
    Also in employment activities keep the description to relevant things to the jet job. Honestly if you're putting in something like "worked at the gap" the fact you talked to customers and folded shirts is of little relevance to jet as it would be assumed part of the job. But "was top sales associate for two months" is an actual accomplishment which is relevant.
    In the current form, that section requests for information in tabular form with fields for employer, period of employment, position and type of work. Stating an accomplishment seems off-topic to me. Perhaps it should now go into the SOP or the "other activities" section that requests for information on "Honors, awards, scholarships, etc."?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

My biggest concern is the fact that my bachelor's initials don't fit on the document (BDes) , I'm not sure if I should leave it blank or write the first 3 letters, problem is that if I do the 2nd option, they might think it's another bachelor.

Either way, I'm going to use a sticky note on each copy explaining the answer.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; October 23rd, 2014 at 14:06.

Well, if anyone is willing to deal with me over complicating things, I have (quite) a few questions. I've broken them up into the sections of the application in case that helps.
    Education Background - Do colleges where credits were transferred from high school courses need to be included on this page? The courses are on my official transcript, but I never applied to these colleges. Does this still count as "attending" them?

Teaching Background - It doesn't explicitly say it (as in other sections), but is using mm/dd - present when it asks for mm/yy - mm/yy ok? If not, what should I list as an ending date for ongoing tutoring?

Japan Related Studies - For course name, should this be the course abbreviation and number as listed on my transcript? (Such as JAPN 101) or the actual course title (Beginning Japanese). Likewise, what would be used for content? I'm guessing this is where I would put Beginning Japanese if I put JAPN 101 in the course name?

Placement information - I'm assuming it's ok to be vague about the reasons for the placement request as there is a very limited space. Or should I just try to mention one thing in a little bit of detail? And the below spot where it asks about Specific Placement Request, would it be ok to use this space to expand on why I am requesting a suburban placement?

Last question, though not directly related to filling out the application: One of my references provided me with 3 separate (sealed and signed) envelopes. Would it be ok to paper clip these together or put them together inside an unsealed envelope? Or should I ask my reference to open them all and then seal them inside of a new envelope?

Sorry if any of these have been answered elsewhere, I thought I did a pretty good job of searching through these forums and the archived threads.If anyone can answer any of these questions I'd really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Elysi; October 25th, 2014 at 05:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysi View Post

Education Background - Do colleges where credits were transferred from high school courses need to be included on this page? The courses are on my official transcript, but I never applied to these colleges. Does this still count as "attending" them?
    I've got the same question. I have two classes I took at a local community college but they were all conduced through my high-school and I didn't "attend" the school either. I'm wondering if it is listed on our college transcripts if it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toki View Post
    I've got the same question. I have two classes I took at a local community college but they were all conduced through my high-school and I didn't "attend" the school either. I'm wondering if it is listed on our college transcripts if it is needed.
    Straight from the Guidelines on the USA JET Program Website:

"If you were transferred from other institutions to the current college or university and your current university transcript shows all of the following information from your transfer school, you do not need to provide the transcript from the school you transferred from:

• the name of the institution(s) you were transferred from
    • the name(s) of all courses completed
    • the dates of this course work
    • the grade received for each course

Please check your official transcripts carefully to ensure that all required information is present. If any of this information is missing from the main transcript, and you do not provide original transcripts from the previous institution(s), the application will be deemed incomplete and disqualified.
    If you took classes at a college or university as a high school student, please make a note of this on the transcript by attaching a sticky note. DO NOT write on the transcript itself."
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

This is a rather specific question, but my first school actually went bankrupt and shut down completely (it technically doesn't exist today). The new school I had to transfer to took ownership of all my former classes and records as if I had been there since the beginning. All classes are listed with dates and grades on the transcript, and it designates classes from my former school with an abbreviation of the University name (for instance, CU for Central University). There's nothing further I can provide beyond that since the records from my former school don't exist anymore (it's still in the JET application index at least), but I'm planning to attach a sticky note just to clarify what that abbreviation means. Can you think of anything else I would need to include?
    Last edited by Verbatim; October 25th, 2014 at 06:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
    This is a rather specific question, but my first school actually went bankrupt and shut down completely (it technically doesn't exist today). The new school I had to transfer to took ownership of all my former classes and records as if I had been there since the beginning. All classes are listed with dates and grades on the transcript, and it designates classes from my former school with an abbreviation of the University name (for instance, CU for Central University). There's nothing further I can provide beyond that since the records from my former school don't exist anymore (it's still in the JET application index at least), but I'm planning to attach a sticky note just to clarify what that abbreviation means. Can you think of anything else I would need to include?
    That sounds about right Verbatim. As long as your transcripts have the abbreviation for the failed school, then just put a sticky note explaining why you don't have separate transcripts from it. If it is still in the application index, then I am sure you will not be the first person who has attended the school and needed to provide transcripts.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

I am having issues with this particular question:

Describe the international / intercultural experience (in regards to international travel).

I have traveled out of the country once when I was 13 when my family went to Mexico (I know... REALLY FAR), but I'm not sure how I would answer this question. Can someone help me out on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by laura1088 View Post
    I am having issues with this particular question:

Describe the international / intercultural experience (in regards to international travel).

I have traveled out of the country once when I was 13 when my family went to Mexico (I know... REALLY FAR), but I'm not sure how I would answer this question. Can someone help me out on this one?
    Place visited: mexico
    Date: insert dates here
    purpose: family vacation

No need to complicate things, just tell it how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Place visited: mexico
    Date: insert dates here
    purpose: family vacation

No need to complicate things, just tell it how it is.
    Right, but the next part is to describe your cultural experience there... It was a long time ago and I'm not sure what they're looking for. It's kind of an odd question to me.

I think I figured it out. Thanks for the help!

Thanks so much for the clarification

Thanks for some of the clarification. I have a question in regards to the Japan-Related studies section. Is it possible to write informal studies outside of class? How would I go about filling that out.

Banned

Put it in your SOP.

So going back to the limited words issues...I'm in the employment section and there's hardly any room to describe anything. I can't even type out the name of where I work because there's not enough room. I put in a report for Tech Support but they were a little useless and said to contact my 'institution'. Should I actually call the Jet office for this?