Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 175

Thread: Placement requests!

  1. #1

    Default Placement requests!

    I was wondering if anyone would like to share their preferences? and why?

    I'm currently in the middle of researching more about each area and seeing if there's any that fits my ideal.

    I love hiking so somewhere that will have nice trails. The obvious one would be the area around Mt.Fuji but I'm sure there are other options as well..
    suggestions would be great!

  2. #2
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Mt. Fuji isn't necessarily the best place for hiking - it's only open a couple months out of the year, it's crowded, it's not very convenient to get to, and the number of trails is limited (they tend to assume people are climbing to the top, which isn't the sort of hike you can do in an afternoon). Lots of places in Japan will have good hiking, so I recommend checking out a lot of different prefectures. The biggest factor in your placement is whether you fit the qualifications a particular BOE is seeking, but you're also more likely to get a placement if it isn't a commonly requested place.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,277

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Although Fuji itself isn't great for hiking Yamanashi and Shizuoka are both beautiful prefectures with great hikes.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

    RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    I haven't submitted my application yet but here is what I'm thinking on requests so far:

    1. Sapporo city
    2. Yokohama city
    3. Fukuoka city

    I might look like a noob for requesting cities, but I just really would love to live in an urban environment. I've lived in the rural countryside of America my entire life and I guess I'm just thirsting for something different. I've heard requesting cities can make you look uniformed though, and hurt your chances of getting accepted. Is there any truth to this?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by Neycourt
    I just really would love to live in an urban environment. I've lived in the rural countryside of America my entire life and I guess I'm just thirsting for something different.
    Would you put that down as the reason for your choices, or do you have some other "official reason" that you will give?

    Having lived in a city all my life, a change sounds nice (assuming I recover from the extra culture shock, heheh), but it sounds like a lame reason to list, so I am thinking of somehow connecting something that I find interesting about the places that I have in mind with my choice. On the other hand, I have the impression that most of the slots available will not be in the big/medium-sized cities anyway, so this might be much ado about nothing for me.

  6. #6
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by Neycourt View Post
    I've heard requesting cities can make you look uniformed though, and hurt your chances of getting accepted. Is there any truth to this?
    No truth to this. However, you should have a good reason for requesting those cities. Requesting cities though does not hurt your chances in anyway.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    My first two requests are in the Kansai (Kinki) block, and I went with just prefectures (Hyogo and Kyoto) since I'm honestly open to wherever I get placed. My last choice was Chubu (Aichi prefecture). I had trouble coming up with reasons because I don't have strong preferences either way, so the ones I wrote may sound rather noobish. I like the geographical location of Hyogo, and the fact that there are so many nature parks. Kyoto area's reason was the mix of modern and traditional culture, Aichi I just left blank. I'd be happy anywhere!

  8. #8
    Member hello_kupo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Although I'm not sure I will list a preference on my application, I'd love to be placed in Okinawa or Hokkaido since I've never been to either of those regions. My favorite Japanese cities are Nara and Osaka, so being placed somewhere in Kinki would be awesome too (but I'd still rather be rural or suburban).

    FYI: Fuji-san is no walk in the park. Hope I don't come off like a know-it-all, but I just thought I'd offer some insight since I was completely unprepared for its austerity (granted I'm not a climber/hiker, but I'm fit). I did an overnight climb in 2012 in the dead of summer (frigid at night, sweltering in the day) that took roughly 12 hours to complete and was the most physically taxing thing I have ever done in my life. Calling it steep would be an understatement and it's really easy to lose your footing on the gravel-like "trails." It was an experience somewhere between horrific exhaustion and wonderful vision quest.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    No truth to this. However, you should have a good reason for requesting those cities. Requesting cities though does not hurt your chances in anyway.
    What, to you, are some good reasons you've seen for requesting cities? For my choices, I would have to say I gained an interest in Sapporo after making friends with a language partner from Sapporo. The history and beauty are appealing to me as well. Plus, the weather is more comparable to my home area. Tokyo summer was just brutal for me, haha.

    For Yokohama, I visited it a couple times during my stay in Japan and just really loved the feel of the city. Again, it also has so much history and culture.

    For Fukuoka, I'd heard good things from students who had studied abroad there. I've never been there myself, but it looks beautiful and I would love to experience the south of Japan although it might be too hot for me.

  10. #10
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by Neycourt View Post
    What, to you, are some good reasons you've seen for requesting cities? For my choices, I would have to say I gained an interest in Sapporo after making friends with a language partner from Sapporo. The history and beauty are appealing to me as well. Plus, the weather is more comparable to my home area. Tokyo summer was just brutal for me, haha.

    For Yokohama, I visited it a couple times during my stay in Japan and just really loved the feel of the city. Again, it also has so much history and culture.

    For Fukuoka, I'd heard good things from students who had studied abroad there. I've never been there myself, but it looks beautiful and I would love to experience the south of Japan although it might be too hot for me.
    For me, good reasons would be sister-city relationships, maybe you have some some sort of ancestry from that part of Japan, and you would like to connect with your roots, maybe you were an East Asian Religion major and want to be placed in a certain location that is famous for its Buddhist temples so you can study them some more. Other good reasons may be medical reasons. For example, you may have an eye condition which requires you to see a specialist on a yearly basis, and you have done your research on hospital/doctors in a certain area who are experts in such condition, or maybe you are requesting a city with less hills/mountains because your knees were injured as a child and walking uphill is painful. Those are what I would consider good placement requests.

    Less than spectacular placement request reasons include having friends that live there, wanting to live in Kyoto since you studied at Kansai Gaidai, or I hate the heat/cold, so dont send me somewhere with extreme temperatures.

    General information like loving the history and culture is far too generic and doesnt say anything. You will have a dig a little deeper than that. I know we always ask candidates about their placement requests in our interviews(I cannot say whether other consulates do though). There were definitely people with good reasons, and those who just wrote down a location without giving it much thought. Its important to note that that interview locations have absolutely zero say in where a candidate gets placed. That is up to CLAIR and the Contracting Organizations. We can recommend someone be placed somewhere, but it is only a recommendation.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  11. #11
    Member Ark42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    My placement request was basically that I wanted to select "Suburban". I really want to be somewhere "in the middle" where I can walk 15 minutes to catch a train if I have to. I don't want to be downtown Tokyo any more than I want to be in the middle of nowhere in Hokkaido. I'm hurting my application with this choice, but I'm not going to be willing to drive, so that's pretty much it. I need just suburban enough that biking or trains works.
    I put down Kanto, Chubu, Kinki for the block and did not select anything more specific. Mostly because I figure the suburban areas will be there.

  12. #12
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    My I'm hurting my application with this choice, but I'm not going to be willing to drive
    That's the only reason I'm willing to drive in Japan, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

    I'd rather live in urban settings with the convenience of public transportation, (or as you mentioned, bike, walking, etc).

  13. #13

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    From what I know Yokohama don't take JETs at all and Aichi take only a tiny handful so maybe worth scrapping them for somewhere else.

  14. #14
    Weirdest ITIL member. haitch40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,775

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    For me, good reasons would be sister-city relationships, maybe you have some some sort of ancestry from that part of Japan, and you would like to connect with your roots, maybe you were an East Asian Religion major and want to be placed in a certain location that is famous for its Buddhist temples so you can study them some more. Other good reasons may be medical reasons. For example, you may have an eye condition which requires you to see a specialist on a yearly basis, and you have done your research on hospital/doctors in a certain area who are experts in such condition, or maybe you are requesting a city with less hills/mountains because your knees were injured as a child and walking uphill is painful. Those are what I would consider good placement requests.

    Less than spectacular placement request reasons include having friends that live there, wanting to live in Kyoto since you studied at Kansai Gaidai, or I hate the heat/cold, so dont send me somewhere with extreme temperatures.

    General information like loving the history and culture is far too generic and doesnt say anything. You will have a dig a little deeper than that. I know we always ask candidates about their placement requests in our interviews(I cannot say whether other consulates do though). There were definitely people with good reasons, and those who just wrote down a location without giving it much thought. Its important to note that that interview locations have absolutely zero say in where a candidate gets placed. That is up to CLAIR and the Contracting Organizations. We can recommend someone be placed somewhere, but it is only a recommendation.
    Would a request of Kyushu because of places like Reigandō or the fact it is near Ganryū-jima be ok? Ok yes I am a huge Miyamoto Musashi fan. Also want to learn a bit more about the Satsuma rebellion and about Nagasaki not for the bomb but am I right in saying it was the only port open to foreign traders when the country was closed off?

  15. #15
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,761

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    My placement request was basically that I wanted to select "Suburban". I really want to be somewhere "in the middle" where I can walk 15 minutes to catch a train if I have to. I don't want to be downtown Tokyo any more than I want to be in the middle of nowhere in Hokkaido. I'm hurting my application with this choice, but I'm not going to be willing to drive, so that's pretty much it. I need just suburban enough that biking or trains works.
    I put down Kanto, Chubu, Kinki for the block and did not select anything more specific. Mostly because I figure the suburban areas will be there.
    Willing to drive has little to do with urban/suburban/rural placements. Jet doesn't care about your social life. If the BOE provided housing is within walking distance of the school and there is a shop in the area you can buy food from then that placement can be given to someone who can't drive, regardless of the fact you could be up in the mountains miles from the nearest train station.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  16. #16
    Member Ark42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Well, I put "Suburban" because I want suburban, and I put unwilling to drive because I don't want to drive. Anywhere that I can be placed that meets those requirements is fine with me.

  17. #17

    Default Placement requests!

    What if you get rural?

    Edit: odds are that will be brought up in the interview.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; October 24th, 2014 at 08:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  18. #18
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    Well, I put "Suburban" because I want suburban, and I put unwilling to drive because I don't want to drive. Anywhere that I can be placed that meets those requirements is fine with me.
    as u said, what if you get rural? If you say "nope, don't want it" they will likely go with someone who doesn't mind.

    The simplest and best advice us old timers can give you all is this. Be flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  19. #19
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    Quote Originally Posted by eeveewoo View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would like to share their preferences? and why?

    I'm currently in the middle of researching more about each area and seeing if there's any that fits my ideal.

    I love hiking so somewhere that will have nice trails. The obvious one would be the area around Mt.Fuji but I'm sure there are other options as well..
    suggestions would be great!
    Fuji sucks. Seriously, if you like nature and hiking, Fuji is a tourist nightmare from hell. As for good hiking. Try just about any prefecture that isn't the city. Gifu, Toyama, Niigata, Nagano, Gunma, Tochigi, Nara, Wakayama, everywhere up north... Japan is a land of mountains, and as soon as you get out of the urban sprawl you are in the deep mountains. so really, anywhere rural and you will find good hiking.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  20. #20
    Member Ark42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Placement requests!

    If I get rural, despite putting Suburban on the application and talking about my request at the interview, then I get rural. Yeah, I'll deal with a tiny town where I can walk to school and 1 grocery store, that's fine. I'm still much rather end up somewhere that I can walk to a train once in a while, but I'm not going to turn down acceptance from JET over just that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •