Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Placement requests!

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Default Re: Placement requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    This is partly why I find akihabara kind of creepy, I mean, I like technology and all, but it's basically an otaku death trap.
    Isn't an otaku deathtrap just sunlight? I mean, it doesn't take much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Isn't an otaku deathtrap just sunlight? I mean, it doesn't take much.
    Was gonna say tourist, but figured that'd be too general .

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

It was nicer back in the day. Before it had the "Akihabara style" or image or whatever. When it was just the electronics district, it was pretty nice. You can still find some good deals on electronics there, but those "good" deals are for Japan... If you want cheap electronics, you got to leave Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Ok, I have chosen my top three placements as followed: Kumamoto-ken, Fukuoka-ken and the Kinki region.
    Kinki is pretty awesome. Many people who come here stay here, although next year my prefecture will have a lot of openings because a ton of 4th/5th years are going home.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

I worked at a Starbucks by Akihabara station for a very brief time while studying abroad. I would say the clientele was 60 percent average Tokyo salarymen and/or housewives, 5 percent otaku, and 35 percent tourists who had no idea why they were really there. The Gundam and AKB cafes netted most of the otaku types before they got much past the station, and aside from the occasional girl in a maid outfit handing out fliers it didn't really feel very different from the other big stations in Tokyo.

I agree with therectalwindcity. The akihabara is full of otaku thing is just a myth.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I disagree with becky that akihabara was ever "nice". It was always full of greasy nerds. Once internet shopping shut down the computer buying crowd the maids and anime gang sprung up in its place but it was never full of healthy young go getters
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I disagree with becky that akihabara was ever "nice". It was always full of greasy nerds. Once internet shopping shut down the computer buying crowd the maids and anime gang sprung up in its place but it was never full of healthy young go getters
    nice is relative. I liked the place because that was where the ONE AND ONLY western video game store was, and they had a lot of good little stores selling parts like memory and hard drives for cheap. Sure the internet is better, but it was nice to shop around and see some of the newer things in action.

yea... healthy young go getters were never there.
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

the only interesting part was that covered market that used to be in front of the station where the crazy old men would set up their stalls selling shit like tubes for old tvs and random rotary dial telephones out of buckets for 100yen each. they would just sit there all day, smoke about 3 packs of cigs and take away the grand total of about 3000yen in sales. I never understood why they were there but at least they had a bit of character.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

What did you guys do when ol' Tokugawa tried to make you step on Our Lord Christ's image?
    took a dump on it. you think we actually gave a shit?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Apparently yes.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Do you have to pick a location? I mean, can you simply choose open? I studied abroad in Asahikawa and spent some time in Sapporo and both places were great, but I'm not all that familiar with different cities/towns in Japan, so I'm open to being placed almost anywhere really.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    Do you have to pick a location? I mean, can you simply choose open? I studied abroad in Asahikawa and spent some time in Sapporo and both places were great, but I'm not all that familiar with different cities/towns in Japan, so I'm open to being placed almost anywhere really.
    You do not need to pick a location. You can just mark no preference.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    took a dump on it. you think we actually gave a shit?
    Did you understand at all the meaning behind Jiggit's post?