Thread: Question about Gap in education at same institute

Default Question about Gap in education at same institute

I'm not sure if anyone else has this question, but thought I would post it here just in case (as well as in case someone had the same issue and has the answer)

How should a gap in education from the same institute be listed? For example, in my last quarter of college, unfortunate circumstances occurred where I ended up not completing my degree. I am now back completing my degree at the same institution 4 years later. So if I list my start to end date it will look like I was there for 6+ years, when in reality I wasn't. Should this be listed all together and then use the months and years section to show that I was not attending there that entire time? or list the institution twice to more accurately represent my time of attendance there?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Question about Gap in education at same institute

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else has this question, but thought I would post it here just in case (as well as in case someone had the same issue and has the answer)

How should a gap in education from the same institute be listed? For example, in my last quarter of college, unfortunate circumstances occurred where I ended up not completing my degree. I am now back completing my degree at the same institution 4 years later. So if I list my start to end date it will look like I was there for 6+ years, when in reality I wasn't. Should this be listed all together and then use the months and years section to show that I was not attending there that entire time? or list the institution twice to more accurately represent my time of attendance there?
    In the grand scheme of things, I don't think this matters that much. The main thing they are looking for is if you have your Bachelor's degree. No points are deducted against people who took longer to graduate than others. Personally, I would just list the University once from 2008-2014, and then use the months and years to adequately clarify what happened with the gap in attendance. Listing twice would be redundant.

-MC
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.