Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some simple advice for you while applying/interviewing

Default Re: Some simple advice for you while applying/interviewing

My first sentence used the word 'miasma' in reference to the odors produced by a Japanese stove and the removal of shoes in my high school Japanese classroom. I think I expressed thinking my teacher was crazy in the second sentence.

My friend got into the program with a story about failing with Japanese toilets.
    Last edited by sourdoughsushi; October 30th, 2014 at 11:45.

I shouldn't worry, if JET had any bias against people who fancy themselves literary geniuses then about 50% of the current ALTs would never have got here in the first place.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I shouldn't worry, if JET had any bias against people who fancy themselves literary geniuses then about 50% of the current ALTs would never have got here in the first place.
    why on earth would they want pedants to come here. The education system is better off with a trained monkey than someone who knows )teaching ) the english language ) how to be a party pooper
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    The education system is better off with a trained monkey than someone who knows the english language
    Well yes, you would seem to be proving that personally.

I would suggest, however, that some schools would prefer an ALT who speaks English well enough to know what a simple word like "literary" actually means.

I literary know what that word means.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Well yes, you would seem to be proving that personally.

I would suggest, however, that some schools would prefer an ALT who speaks English well enough to know what a simple word like "literary" actually means.
    the only thing worse than a fool, is an educated fool.

bitch please, you know I am an awesome ALT. I teach the kids all the fly dope mad phat shizzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

I would pay to see that.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

I ended up editing this part of my SOP out, but it started with something along the lines of, "I sucked at Japanese so much that my teacher constantly told me to quit, but I tried hard and got way better then all my other classmates, boo-yeah!" Then again, said teacher told everyone to quit and that Japanese was too difficult for us to understand...she ended up getting fired, but whatever. If I were to honestly tell about my first 'experience' with Japanese, it would be watching a movie with Japanese subtitles as a kid and being pissed off by the stupid characters on the bottom of the screen. Haha. So yeah, I decided to not really use anecdotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    I ended up editing this part of my SOP out, but it started with something along the lines of, "I sucked at Japanese so much that my teacher constantly told me to quit, but I tried hard and got way better then all my other classmates, boo-yeah!" Then again, said teacher told everyone to quit and that Japanese was too difficult for us to understand...she ended up getting fired, but whatever. If I were to honestly tell about my first 'experience' with Japanese, it would be watching a movie with Japanese subtitles as a kid and being pissed off by the stupid characters on the bottom of the screen. Haha. So yeah, I decided to not really use anecdotes.
    I think that would be wise.