Thread: Ways you would like to improve your class

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Ways you would like to improve your class

Ok, so we know some ALTs aren't pleased with the way classes are given. (Or at least aspects of the class)

I've been working on a thesis about the ways gamification can improve education, how an interactive experience would help students become more involved and invested in the class.

That got me thinking about the ways teachers are restricted when giving a class.

My question is, what would you do to improve your class?

What specific actions, methods and etc would you use?

(this is under the assumption that somehow no one could refuse your suggestions )
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; October 24th, 2014 at 17:34. Reason: Fixed some of the phrasing

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Default Re: Ways you would like to improve your class

This is a rather loaded topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

I would like to take the disruptive ones and defenestrate them. Can you use that word like that? I hope so. Because I'll do it regardless.

I'd get rid of the idea that "Student has memorized the page in the textbook, therefore Student knows how to produce the target language" and have the kids actually practice using what they're learning. I've seen it happen so many times in JHS when the kids never get to do production practice in class and have to cram it in during the last few months during their third year. My prefecture's entrance exam only has one writing questions, asking for a 15 word composition about what they want to do in the future or some part of Japanese culture or whatnot. A student who's been studying for three years should have little problem stringing 15 words together, but so many kids leave it blank because they panic since they've never had to do anything beyond fill in a blank or reorder a list of words before. They really should be coming up with their own sentences from the get-go.

I'd also like the authority to kick the disruptive ones out.

Teachers need to understand the purpose and value of lesson goals. The reason they create those worksheets is because it's the simplest way for them to "finish the lesson" but they don't have any goals other than to finish the lesson as smoothly as possible. You see it all the time when they want to explain things for activities that you create which are in fact integral to the purpose of the activity. You put something in there to challenge the students in a particular way, to force them to actually produce the target language point, and the JTE sees it as an unnecessary speedbump getting in the way of the lesson completion.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Make teachers actually have an understanding of teaching methodology and pedagogy as it relates to language education.
    Or hold my breath till I'm blue in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Have you asked the JTEs? Because most of the ones I spoke to in Osaka answered that they'd improve their classes by having ALTs who were dedicated to the job instead of dedicated to doing the bare minimum.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Whereas last time I asked a gathering of jtes it was that they would love to be able to actually take the time to plan lessons that effectively use alts instead of galloping madly through a text book for the umpteenth time.

Then again, they were young and optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Even the old ones say that but it's always the pace that is most important not the skills they have learned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.