Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: SOP review

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Miami, do you know of any relevant changes, or can we proceed business as usual?
    AFAIK, there are no major changes to the SOP guidelines. There are a few changes on the application itself, but the SOP should be the same. Business as usual.

Hi everyone! First time posting, but a long time lurker of ITIL. I was wondering if anyone was willing to check my SoP. I wrote it last year for the 2014 application cycle and I didn't make it to the interview round...So I was hoping one of y'all (or two) could look it over and point out to me what's wrong with it (since of course, JET doesn't give a rat's ass about giving feedback on failed applications). Of course, there could have been other possibilities on why I didn't make it but I figure the biggest culprit would be the SoP and thus I want to take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Hi everyone! First time posting, but a long time lurker of ITIL. I was wondering if anyone was willing to check my SoP. I wrote it last year for the 2014 application cycle and I didn't make it to the interview round...So I was hoping one of y'all (or two) could look it over and point out to me what's wrong with it (since of course, JET doesn't give a rat's ass about giving feedback on failed applications). Of course, there could have been other possibilities on why I didn't make it but I figure the biggest culprit would be the SoP and thus I want to take it from there.
    I'll check it if you want to pm it to me.

Default SOP review

Ditto.

Edit: Alright, as of now I'm at capacity. I won't be reviewing any more SoPs.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; October 17th, 2014 at 13:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Thank you both! I will pm both of you shortly.

Since there was someone who helped edit my SoP last year, I may as well pay it forward this year! If anyone wants me to look at their SoP, feel free to PM me!

I've sent a couple of PM's to people in this thread who said they were OK to check over SOP's.

Since there are some subtle differences in the requirements for UK JETS, I'm wondering if there are any lurking who would be able to check over my SOP?

I'm looking for some peeps to review my SOP as well. I've been tweaking it since July, so hopefully your work won't be too difficult. Is anyone interested?

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TweedPawn View Post
    I'm looking for some peeps to review my SOP as well. I've been tweaking it since July, so hopefully your work won't be too difficult. Is anyone interested?
    Sure! Send it my way
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Sure thing! Thanks! I think about my last year's SOP and I kinda cringe. At least this year I have some professional experiences that don't make me sound like a nerd.

I am also looking for someone to look over my SOP. I just finished the first draft, though I've been working on it for a while. I'm planning on taking it to my university's writing center this week to look over it for general grammar/writing advice, but if anyone would be willing to critique it either before or after then I would really appreciate it!

VIP

Hello everyone. I finished my SOP today so if anyone has time and is willing to tear this thing to shreds, I would appreciate it. I use a Mac but the essay is in pdf. I also have Word and Open office so if you would rather have them in those formats just let me know.

Go for it.
    Just send the text to me in a PM and I can mark it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

Anyone willing to have a look over a UK SOP? You would have my undying gratitude.

Mostly I think I'm okay with my SOP, though I might pm one of the lovely helpful people on here for an insider's opinion once I finish the Master's English editor's tweaks. Something she brought up, though, that I'm not sure about: When mentioning past participants in the JET Programme, should I refer to them just as "friends" or by name? Is there a JET regulation, preference, or does that not matter in the grand scheme of the message I'm trying to send them?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

What do past participants identities have to do with YOUR statement of purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Banned

The people who read your sop are not going to know or care about Johnny Walker, JET emeritus and friend of yours. If you're struggling to make it to a page and a half, you could include a bit about discussing the program in depth with some alums, but I also don't think it has much to do with your purpose.

I'm also willing to review SoP. I'm helping a few friends back in America prepare theirs, and can extend that offer to here. Just PM it and I'll get back to you with tips/insight.

Greetings everyone!
    I would also be interested in having someone review my current SOP. While I'm sure I can tweak some things myself, a little feedback from second third parties wouldn't hurt. I greatly appreciate any assistance!

You can send it my way!