Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

Default SOP review

so is it too early to ask for a review of an SOP? I was told at the JET info meeting at my University that the application is (probably) going to open on Oct 1st. so I want to be on the ball.
    *actually its for my husband but he doesn't have time to hang in the forums like me*

Default Re: SOP review

Nah, you're fine; it's a reasonable time to be getting a start on things. I wouldn't post it publicly, but there are quite a few regulars around who would probably be happy to help. If you'll PM me, I'll try to get on it, although I can't promise I'll be the fastest at getting back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Thanks. Is there anyone on here with Military experience? My husband was stationed in Japan.

Hehe I was thinking the same thing, if it was too early or not. I've been getting things together all summer and have had the rough rough draft of my sop written for about 2 months now, but haven't found anyone willing to look it over yet. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is planning ahead.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

It is never too early to prepare. I am sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to look it over. Just a note of caution for everyone and their statements. Remember that there is no such thing as a perfect SOP. There are dozens of reviewers. A reviewer may score one very high, and another.reviewer may have given them a low score because they dont like the writing style.

Scoring the SOP is subjective, but DC tries their best to make it as fair as possible. Just temember to focus on the key points you want to make since space is so limited.

I am also free if you would like to send me SOPs to read over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

I'm willing to give a few a gandalf.

I can't say my opinion will be perfect, because I can't even spell gander.
    But feel free to PM me with a copy.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Thanks everyone for being willing to look over SOP's! that's pretty much fantastic

I am willing to look at 2 or 3.
    My grammar sucks so I am not going to correct all that business. I would just tell you if (I think) you're on the right track, what you could add/delete, etc.
    I can be brutally honest and direct with being a dick. I not too busy the next 2 weeks but after that, I don't think I'll have the time.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I forgot to mention, I am British so if you send me stuff and you are not British, I may try to make incorrect corrections to your wording/grammar etc. Also I can be ridiculously harsh.

I say this every year and if you do a search you will find loads of people saying the same, the way to steal the heart of the SOP marker is to be genuinely interested in Japan (not just all about the ANIMUZ). Think about what YOU can offer them and how awesome you are.

Then, when you get through, you can put all the reasons why you are awesome in your little pocket and forget about them while you stand at the back of the classroom being a tape recorder.
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.

You got me.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Umm Miami, when are the specifications for the sop going to come out? Or are they already? We should make sure we know that nothing has changed before advising the newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Jumping on the bandwagon late here, but I am also willing to go over SOPs if anyone wants another set of eyes and my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

How bad is it to reuse the same SoP from the previous year with a few modifications?

How far did it get you last time? If you were an alternate, a few modifications might be all it needs, to show what you've done in the last year to make yourself a better candidate. If you weren't picked, or didn't even get an interview, larger changes are called for.
    ...because Japan.

To add to what Antonath said, I re-used maybe 60% of my SOP from my first application when I reapplied for the 2014 intake. I also highlighted how I had improved since the first application.

I got to the interview stage last year, so I guess I can just update it with what I changed and improved. Thanks for both your help!

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Umm Miami, when are the specifications for the sop going to come out? Or are they already? We should make sure we know that nothing has changed before advising the newbs.
    Sorry gizmo! I didnt see this till now.
    The guidelines should be up this week as long as everything goes according to plan. I was out of the office thurs and fri, so i am unsure if DC sent us any new info. I know they are pushing to get the guidelines and the application up by the first week of october.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Miami, do you know of any relevant changes, or can we proceed business as usual?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.