Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

Default Re: SOP review

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    What do past participants identities have to do with YOUR statement of purpose?
    I went on school visits with one of them the last time I was in Japan. It's part of my adaptability and "why I want JET" bit. It's one sentence.

Just so you know, to the people who sent me SoPs yesterday, I am swimming in receipts for expenses for the time being but promise to look over them either later on today or tomorrow morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

Greetings, I've already had my essay critiqued by several people in person, but if anyone would be available to give an overall impression or opinion on my SOP I'd appreciate it.

I would like to have mine read over as well, if anyone is still available. Please let me know or PM me how I should send it!

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Once I'm finished with mine, I'd appreciate some advice/ critique.

So far I think I'm coming off as a pompous bastard, so I'd like to rectify that xD.

If anyone is still available for reviewing, I would like some advice/shredding for mine as well! PM me and let me know how I should send it. Thanks!

Default Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

Sorry I'm a little late getting this thread made. Like last year, I would like to ask regular posters who are available to edit and critique statement of purpose drafts to please post here so we have all the names in one place. Please also mention the preferred format (google docs, PM, etc.) Unfortunately I will be unavailable this year, but it sounds like we have a few regulars who are willing to help out.

Applicants, please be sure to give us a few days' turnaround, too. The application deadlines are:

Jamaica: Nov. 7
    South Africa, USA: Nov. 14
    Australia, Canada: Nov. 21
    UK:
    Nov. 28
    Trinidad and Tobago: Nov. 30
    New Zealand: Dec. 3
    Ireland: Dec. 5

General points of advice:

• Try to stick to as many concrete examples as possible. Everyone who applies to JET has had some sort of interaction with Japanese culture that sparked their interest/dream of living in Japan; the important thing is to show what you've done to act on that interest - hosting exchange students, studying the language, volunteering, taking Japan-related classes, participating in school clubs or Japan-related events, etc. There are probably more than you think.
    • Be specific about what you plan to contribute to JET ("internationalization" is a very vague goal) and how you plan to deal with the problems that you'll inevitably face in Japan (which browsing this forum will probably give you some idea of ...).
    • Even if you don't have Japan experience, try to spin your international interest as something more than just "it seems like it would be interesting" or "I dream of going to Japan and becoming an ambassador for change."
    • Remember that this is a job application, and you need to demonstrate why it would be beneficial to JET to hire you, and not just why it would be an amazing experience for you.

As word has mentioned, we are happy to offer advice, but we would be thrilled if you joined us on the rest of the site as well. We'd love to hear your opinions in the Lounge/Japanese language study areas (many of us are bored at work, after all), and you might get a better picture of what an ALT's day-to-day life might be like. Applications are usually stronger when they show that the applicant has really considered the difficulties of working as an ALT and presented specific ways that they plan to overcome those problems.

Default Re: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

theres a japanese language study area?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Default Re: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

would anyone like to proofread my SOP?
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I can read and make comments, not sure if mine is the best advice but I'll give it a go

As for the format of the SOP: Does it need a title, date, page numbers, or any other kind of formatting other that the basics? The Jet website doesn't mention anything but it just looks so strange having two pages of written text without anything else on it...

Quote Originally Posted by borilocks View Post
    As for the format of the SOP: Does it need a title, date, page numbers, or any other kind of formatting other that the basics? The Jet website doesn't mention anything but it just looks so strange having two pages of written text without anything else on it...
    You might want to double check, it's very specific.

Your essay MUST meet the following guidelines:

• Maximum two (2) pages on standard letter-size or A4 size paper
    • Typewritten in 12-point font (Ariel or Times New Roman)
    • Double-spaced
    • One inch (1") margins
    • Your last name and page number as a header in the upper right (e.g. Smith 1 of 2, Smith 2 of 2)

I wonder what other directions you may have misread?

Are you finding those directions in the application itself? Also, are you American? The only thing I am finding regarding formatting in the Canadian application is:
    Please write no more than 2 pages in Times New Roman 12 pt. font double-spaced for your essay/personal statement. Anything beyond 2 pages double-spaced will not be read.
    I swear, I pored over the thing looking for any more direction.

Banned

Yeah, that's from the American guidelines. I think that due to the sheer volume of applications in DC, the possibility of things getting accidentally shuffled is always a worry, so extra precautions are taken. It's probably not necessary to put the name and page number on, but neither will it disqualify you. You don't need a title or a date at all. They know what it is.

Great! I'll go with that. ありがとうね!

hey, I know it's getting down to the wire, but would anyone be willing to give a review/critique of my SoP? Long-time lurker here, this'll be my third time applying...

I finally got around to revising my SOP from last year (2nd time applicant here) hopefully I didn't screw it up even worse. Is anyone available with some spare time to take a look at it? I'm accountant from NY, perhaps anyone that made a switch from business field to teaching that can offer some advice. If anyone does have time PM me on here and let me know best way to get the SOP to you.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dstin View Post
    I wonder what other directions you may have misread?
    Please, people, remember that different countries ask for different things. A healthy dose of fear is good for you occasionally, but remember to check that the person you're taking advice from/giving advice to is reading from the same documents as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Not sure how helpful I'll be, but I'm willing to look over any SoPs people PM me! And any other questions you have for that matter
    Last edited by Libellule; November 4th, 2014 at 12:06.

I know I'm down to the wire here, but I was wondering if any of the vets are still available to proofread/critique my SOP. I've already edited it once based on the helpful feedback of two friends (guidance counselor and author), but I'd really like the opinion of an insider who knows the intricacies of the JET Program as well. Please PM me if you have free time to read today. Thanks!

(American, btw)
    Last edited by hello_kupo; November 5th, 2014 at 00:52.
    ドキドキ