Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

Default Re: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    You sound like a good kid so I'm going to give you some advice. Don't wait up for JET. Don't put your life on hold for JET. Apply somewhere else. Go out there and start making things happen. Many people are willing to hire you as soon as yesterday. Are you using this open time in which you haven't been getting hired to practice Japanese? Are you volunteering? Have been saving up money? There are things you can while waiting that will position yourself for success in the future. JET applications take a long time(too long in my opinion) and you could already be in Japan by the time they even start looking at that application. Look at Korea, look at Taiwan, look at China. Start looking to get in somewhere and make some money(while working in Asia), and then you can laterally move later. No reason to sit on your hands waiting for JET. Money is out there to be made, connections too. It's about who you know. 1 year in Korea will get you more connections to work in Japan(as long as you hang out at the expat bars) than 5 years in your home country applying to JET. Good luck brother. You'll make it.
    That's good stuff.
    車庫 B1F

Default Re: Statement of Purpose thread: advice and people who are willing to proofread

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    That's good stuff.

Appreciate it brother. I'm new here, so I'm just trying to stick my head down and contribute.

Default Re: SOP review

It's good advice, thoughdelivered in a way that is slightly infantalizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    You sound like a good kid so I'm going to give you some advice. Don't wait up for JET. Don't put your life on hold for JET. Apply somewhere else. Go out there and start making things happen. Many people are willing to hire you as soon as yesterday. Are you using this open time in which you haven't been getting hired to practice Japanese? Are you volunteering? Have been saving up money? There are things you can while waiting that will position yourself for success in the future. JET applications take a long time(too long in my opinion) and you could already be in Japan by the time they even start looking at that application. Look at Korea, look at Taiwan, look at China. Start looking to get in somewhere and make some money(while working in Asia), and then you can laterally move later. No reason to sit on your hands waiting for JET. Money is out there to be made, connections too. It's about who you know. 1 year in Korea will get you more connections to work in Japan(as long as you hang out at the expat bars) than 5 years in your home country applying to JET. Good luck brother. You'll make it.
    Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to share your advice with me. I'm not a dude (or a child) tho.
    Last edited by sparrosd; August 30th, 2015 at 06:13.

Apologies madam . I say kid to everybody sorry. I'm probably much older than you unless your over 35.

Anyways, if you follow that advice you will have a good job in Japan in 2-3 years time, and other experience teaching with it. Keep us posted please!

I have just done my first draft. I am not too sure if it is good though.
    Anyone want to read it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.

Sure, send it over to me. I haven't started visiting my schools yet so I'm stuck at the BoE with nothing to do.

I'm a bit new to the site but would there be anyone willing to check my essay?

One suggestion I would give for SOPs (After reading a few)

Sometimes it's best to apply the old adage of KISS -
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

My advice:

Take good advice.

An ITILer of yesteryear had me read her SoP, I went through it and found she spent 75% of her time in the UK SoP talking about martial arts, even to the point of ignoring the actual questions asked. (UK people get much clearer requirements, in addition to extra paper length.) I cut everything up, organized it and made it cohesive, and made it about applying that stuff to the classroom. It came out 50% shorter, and it made sense.

After I sent it, she messaged me back and told me she wouldn't use it because it didn't reflect -her-. (I changed no content, only phrasing.) This was attempt 3, iirc.

She did come to Japan...

-with Interac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Is anyone currently bored and would like to read mine? I may send you the last two I wrote, if that works with you. Both times I got the interview, but I want to know how I can improve it further this year. Feel free to ask me any additional questions.

I've had a couple friends look over mine already. Would anyone care to look over my SOP?

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    Is anyone currently bored and would like to read mine? I may send you the last two I wrote, if that works with you. Both times I got the interview, but I want to know how I can improve it further this year. Feel free to ask me any additional questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by muse View Post
    I've had a couple friends look over mine already. Would anyone care to look over my SOP?
    I will! Literally don't have anything else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    I will! Literally don't have anything else to do.
    Breathing is rather important.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

For the weak!

Here's a general questions regarding SOP Letters: how do you "stand out" without being campy or rediculous?

That's my current struggle as I am rewriting my third draft of my SOP.
    I want a giant robot.....

Quote Originally Posted by MinisterDM View Post
    Here's a general questions regarding SOP Letters: how do you "stand out" without being campy or rediculous?

That's my current struggle as I am rewriting my third draft of my SOP.
    Be authentic. Set limits on yourself that you know might result in tropes.

Here are some examples.
    Don't use these words or phrases:

Dream
    When I was
    Ambassador
    Cultural
    Japanese

I think this sort of attitude might result in a good SOP.
    Unless your authenticity results in you talking about your relationship with your import special edition waifu body pillow.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Japanese
    I would be very impressed if you could get through an SoP without using this at least once.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Default Re: SOP review

Easy peasy
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

"Whilst studying abroad in the Land of the Rising Sun, I had the opportunity to study nihongo with the nipponese students. I was able to learn quite a bit of the language from them, and returned the favor by teaching them my own mother tongue. I learned a lot in my time teaching oriental people English, and I believe I can be an asset to the [redacted]ET Programme."
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; September 9th, 2015 at 08:13.

U da real mvp.