Thread: Proper procedure when sending additional paperwork after application deadline

Default Proper procedure when sending additional paperwork after application deadline

Hi, all!

I requested my FBI background check in August and they only cashed my check for the processing fee on October 2nd. Today I called to check the status and I was told that due to massive delays I likely won't receive it until between December 1-15.

Bummer.

So, my question is: when sending additional paperwork that does not arrive in time for the deadline, what kind of reference should I provide? Is my name and address enough to marry up the documents to my application? Should there be some kind of "cover letter" or should the original (+ copies) be the only thing mailed?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

(Sorry if this topic has been explained -- I tried searching the forum before posting and couldn't find what I was looking for)
    ドキドキ

Default Re: Proper procedure when sending additional paperwork after application deadline

I hope the answer to this is something other than what I thought it was for your sake, because I don't think they accept any additional documents after the deadline. Hopefully I'm wrong.

You signed up for early departure?

Default Re: Proper procedure when sending additional paperwork after application deadline

No, I have a criminal offense from 10 years ago (therefore I have to send FBI background check at the time of application).

The JET "How to Apply" page does indicate that FBI background checks can be sent after the deadline if they do not arrive in time. I was just wondering the best way to make sure it is reunited with my original application.

Also, I have not yet submitted and printed my application -- do we receive some kind of personal # or reference at that point?
    ドキドキ

Ah, I see. You will get a lil' ID number when you print off your application. Someone else might know more about the procedure for sending, but I bet your name, address, plus that ID number would be sufficient. Hopefully your background check will come in soon ^_^

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hello_kupo View Post
    Hi, all!

I requested my FBI background check in August and they only cashed my check for the processing fee on October 2nd. Today I called to check the status and I was told that due to massive delays I likely won't receive it until between December 1-15.

Bummer.

So, my question is: when sending additional paperwork that does not arrive in time for the deadline, what kind of reference should I provide? Is my name and address enough to marry up the documents to my application? Should there be some kind of "cover letter" or should the original (+ copies) be the only thing mailed?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

(Sorry if this topic has been explained -- I tried searching the forum before posting and couldn't find what I was looking for)
    You can bring your FBI results to your interview location.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Anything other than your FBI check though? Good luck next year is your answer
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Anything other than your FBI check though? Good luck next year is your answer
    If my original post was unclear: it is ONLY my FBI check. I'm looking for advice on the best procedure for mailing it in after the deadline. I know MC says to bring it to the interview, but that's only if I make it to that stage. So, I want to do my best to guarantee it rejoins my application efficiently.

If anyone else is looking at this topic with similar concerns, for now my plan is to just include my name, address, birthday and application ID # on a sticky note. Then, I pray
    ドキドキ

My advice is to include a cover sheet with your name and ID#, but don't worry about it too much. They'll match it up with your application no matter what, since your name is also on the FBI form itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

I know MC says to bring it to the interview, but that's only if I make it to that stage. So, I want to do my best to guarantee it rejoins my application efficiently.
    If you don't make it to the interview phase then it won't matter if you turn in your FBI background or not. For the purposes of getting your initial application reviewed the photocopy of the FBI background check submission paperwork is sufficient.

In other words, turning in your FBI background check before going to your interview will not in any way positively or negatively affect your application. Sending it via snail mail only increases the chance that it could get lost. However, if for whatever reason you are dead set on sending it in prior to the interview, you can just mail it to the Embassy and include a letter that gives your basic information (name, address, contact information, etc.). That should be sufficient. But the JET Program Coordinators are going to be really busy reviewing all the documents, so I strongly recommend just holding on to it till your interview.

Quote Originally Posted by JET ProgramCoordinator SF View Post
    For the purposes of getting your initial application reviewed the photocopy of the FBI background check submission paperwork is sufficient.

In other words, turning in your FBI background check before going to your interview will not in any way positively or negatively affect your application.
    Thanks, SF. This is both definitive & reassuring.
    Last edited by hello_kupo; October 30th, 2014 at 05:09.
    ドキドキ

I did see this in the deadline reminder email that was sent out on Friday. Not sure if this would be during the interviews or not.

*The FBI background check and Certificate of Health are due by January 31, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysi View Post
    I did see this in the deadline reminder email that was sent out on Friday. Not sure if this would be during the interviews or not.

*The FBI background check and Certificate of Health are due by January 31, 2015.
    Yes, that January 31st deadline really means "at the time of your interview". All the consulates have slightly different interview times, but they're all around that general date.

For the proof of the police check, is it ok to print out the receipt or is it necessary to have a proper letter from them? Just thought i'd ask it here since it's a similar question.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxpetals View Post
    For the proof of the police check, is it ok to print out the receipt or is it necessary to have a proper letter from them? Just thought i'd ask it here since it's a similar question.
    I assume you are from the UK since the U.S. does not require a police check for the initial application. If so, here is what their website says:

If you have previously obtained a Police Reply / CRB Check that details the offences, please submit 4 photocopies of this document with your application.

If you do not have a Police Reply or a CRB Check detailing the offences, you must request a Police Reply by filling out a Subject Access Request Form (ACRO SAR1). When you receive the Police Reply, you must submit the original and 3 photocopies with your application. Information about obtaining the form can be found by going to this page of the ACRO website and clicking on the relevant link. The Police Reply may take over 40 days to process, therefore applicants should allow plenty of time to obtain the form.

Please be sure to write all details fully explaining the nature and circumstances of your caution / arrest / charge / conviction on your application. If you require additional space, you may provide a covering letter with your application. Be sure to include juvenile offences and all additional information relating to all police matters.

Please note that even if cautions or convictions are regarded as spent, it is still likely that they will be recorded on a Police Reply. Applicants should ensure that they declare all arrests / cautions / convictions in their original application, even those which they believe to have been expunged or otherwise removed from their record, in order to avoid disappointment in April / May (see below).

All successful applicants are required to submit a Police Reply in April / May. Any discrepancy between information provided in a candidate's application and this document will result in automatic disqualification from the JET Programme.

Unfortunately the Japanese Government will not issue a working visa to any person with an arrest / caution / conviction for any kind of drug offence.
    Please contact the JET Desk should you wish to discuss any issues mentioned here.
    All calls are strictly confidential.

If you are still confused, please contact the JET desk at the Embassy.

MC
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Thanks for reply in great detail MC.

I'm actually from Australia and we have to get a national police check regardless of any criminal offence. I checked the AU guidelines and it does not specificy any particular document to show proof of the impending document so I've decided to just put in my receipt, as there is no other available. Hopefully that would be acceptable for Australian applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxpetals View Post
    Thanks for reply in great detail MC.

I'm actually from Australia and we have to get a national police check regardless of any criminal offence. I checked the AU guidelines and it does not specificy any particular document to show proof of the impending document so I've decided to just put in my receipt, as there is no other available. Hopefully that would be acceptable for Australian applicants.
    The guidelines we get from Japan are often so vague on important issues that it frustrates us, even as coordinators. I can assume that Australia deals with the same thing. Your national police check seems a lot like the FBI background check that people need to do here if they have any criminal offense. It can take 6-8 weeks to get the FBI background check so many people do not have it in time for the application. In the U.S., we do accept the application form/receipt to show that you have applied for it, but you are given to the 31st of January to produce the actual report. I hope it is the same for you guys in Australia. When in doubt, it never hurts to ask.

Good luck!

I got my FBI background check in the mail yesterday, December 15 (roughly 3.5 months since submission). And it turns out that I have no criminal history! My offense (shoplifting) took place in 2004 and was expunged from my record upon completion of community service. However, I was told by a lawyer friend that expunged/sealed records still appear on FBI background checks. But… it didn’t.

Anyway, I just wanted to update since this aspect of the application had me really anxious and then ended up amounting to nothing. I’m sure there are not that many aspiring JETs with past arrests, but I know information was difficult for me to find when I was researching it. I guess the bottom line is: there is no ironclad answer about what will or will not appear on your FBI background check. Submit your request in May or June if you are worried about some nebulous offense from your past. It may not show up. (And you don't want to be like me, foot-in-mouth for no good reason)

Miami / SF Coordinator -- I was wondering if either of you could offer some insight on a related note… I submitted a “Criminal History Explanation” with my application and stated that if I were selected for an interview I would bring my FBI background check with me. I’m slightly unnerved considering my record is actually clean, but there’s nothing I can do now. What kind of effect do you believe this “conflicting” information has on my chances?

Also, let’s say I am not accepted into JET this year. If I apply again, can I now check “NO” to the criminal record question? I assume they would review my application from this year (and see the “YES” checked off in this instance) – do you think the discrepancy would hurt any subsequent applications I submit?

Thanks!
    ドキドキ

I got my FBI background check in the mail yesterday, December 15 (roughly 3.5 months since submission). And it turns out that I have no criminal history! My offense (shoplifting) took place in 2004 and was expunged from my record upon completion of community service. However, I was told by a lawyer friend that expunged/sealed records still appear on FBI background checks. But… it didn’t.

Anyway, I just wanted to update since this aspect of the application had me really anxious and then ended up amounting to nothing. I’m sure there are not that many aspiring JETs with past arrests, but I know information was difficult for me to find when I was researching it. I guess the bottom line is: there is no ironclad answer about what will or will not appear on your FBI background check. Submit your request in May or June if you are worried about some nebulous offense from your past. It may not show up. (And you don't want to be like me, foot-in-mouth for no good reason)

Miami / SF Coordinator -- I was wondering if either of you could offer some insight on a related note… I submitted a “Criminal History Explanation” with my application and stated that if I were selected for an interview I would bring my FBI background check with me. I’m slightly unnerved considering my record is actually clean, but there’s nothing I can do now. What kind of effect do you believe this “conflicting” information has on my chances?

Also, let’s say I am not accepted into JET this year. If I apply again, can I now check “NO” to the criminal record question? I assume they would review my application from this year (and see the “YES” checked off in this instance) – do you think the discrepancy would hurt any subsequent applications I submit?

Thanks!
    Hi Hello_kupo,

I am glad that your record is clean! That is great news because it simplifies things on our end when reporting back to Tokyo.

You are absolutely correct that there is no ironclad answer as to what will appear on the FBI report and what won't. I have seen applicants with things as little as loitering on private property show up on their reports, and of course the dreaded DUI, but that is why I always tell people to err on the side of caution. If you think there is any chance of something popping up on your FBI report, then you should put it in the application. Of course if you know 100% nothing is going to show up on your report and you decide you do not want to disclose past criminal history on your report, then that is your decision alone. I am sure you can understand why coordinators cannot encourage not mentioning something or lying on the application, but I think most people find themselves in the predicament of not knowing whether or not something will pop up on the report or not.

Something I must stress though is that telling us your criminal history on your application in no way makes it more difficult for you to get a position (unless you did something real heinous, obviously we do not want people with past history of pedophilia working with children). You mentioned that you stuck your foot in your mouth, but it is not like that at all. In fact, I always admire those who are upfront with us because it shows maturity and willingness to take responsibility for your past actions.

In your case kupo, you have nothing to worry about regarding your "conflicting" information. There are many cases like yours where an applicants writes a criminal offense that they thought would show up, but their report comes back clean. This happens all of the time because we do encourage people to write it down on the application just in case something does come up. In a case like yours, we will just make a note that your FBI report came back clean, and there is nothing to worry about.

It would only be bad if you failed to mentioned a past criminal offense, and then all of a sudden one shows up on your FBI. That is when you are in danger of getting cut, but the reverse is not an issue at all.

As for your possible application for next year. My advice would be for you to mark YES, and a brief explanation about your record being expunged etc... I would not risk writing NO, when you wrote YES this year. In Miami, I keep applications for 7 years, and yes, I always refer to last years applications if a person is a second/third time applicant.

There will be those who will tell you to mark NO since nothing came up on your record, but for the sake of continuity and matching applications, I would mark yes. (but with the knowledge that your FBI report is clean which makes your life easy).

Best of luck!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    past history of pedophilia

You mentioned that you stuck your foot in your mouth
    That's pretty blatant I would say!