Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Which of these letters to include?

  1. #1

    Default Which of these letters to include?

    I'm applying for JET a second time and I have letters from these people.

    Previous board of education- None of the people that were there when I was a JET are there anymore. It is a general letter stating that I was a good ALT, was involved in the community, and highlighted extracurriculars.

    Previous co-teacher- A somewhat close friend that I worked with for 3 years with while on JET. He wrote the letter in Japanese. He stated that I was very involved with the teachers at the school. He mentions me going to enkais with everyone, the students loving me, and how much I was missed when I left JET.

    Senior manager at current job- it is short and to the point. The written word isn't his gift (nor mine). Still makes me look pretty good though.

    Nursing program director- Just finished second degree as a nurse. Haven't gotten this letter yet, but I'm assuming it will be a good one. She loved me.




    The only thing I see bad about the previous BOE letter is that the person writing it doesn't know me. The only thing I see being bad about the previous co-teacher is that he is talking about things from 10 years ago.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Hmm. I vote previous co-teacher and manager. Maybe the nursing director if the letter is significantly better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  3. #3
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    previous jet BOE and coworker. Japanese opinion of ALT even if it is vague, is more important than current gaijin opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  4. #4
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by JetMaybe2015 View Post
    I'm applying for JET a second time and I have letters from these people.

    Previous board of education- None of the people that were there when I was a JET are there anymore. It is a general letter stating that I was a good ALT, was involved in the community, and highlighted extracurriculars.

    Previous co-teacher- A somewhat close friend that I worked with for 3 years with while on JET. He wrote the letter in Japanese. He stated that I was very involved with the teachers at the school. He mentions me going to enkais with everyone, the students loving me, and how much I was missed when I left JET.

    Senior manager at current job- it is short and to the point. The written word isn't his gift (nor mine). Still makes me look pretty good though.

    Nursing program director- Just finished second degree as a nurse. Haven't gotten this letter yet, but I'm assuming it will be a good one. She loved me.




    The only thing I see bad about the previous BOE letter is that the person writing it doesn't know me. The only thing I see being bad about the previous co-teacher is that he is talking about things from 10 years ago.

    Thoughts?
    Just a reminder, the letters of recommendation are supposed to be sealed and confidential in an unopened envelope. You are not supposed to know what is written on them. Your descriptions make it seem like you have read them already.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    I absolutely want to read what my references said about me. All of them sent me a loose copy of the letters for me to read. I don't think this is strange at all.

  6. #6
    Constant Fu*kup sharpinthefang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    I don't think you are ever supposed to know what is said in your references, otherwise you could threaten a person to write a good one for you which defeats the point.
    You can't write a bad reference, you have to refuse to give one.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

  7. #7
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    I don't think you are ever supposed to know what is said in your references, otherwise you could threaten a person to write a good one for you which defeats the point.
    Why wouldn't the person just refuse? Threaten? That sounds crazy.


    Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    You can't write a bad reference, you have to refuse to give one.
    ?

    In this case, because you aren't supposed to see the reference, a person absolutely could write a bad reference if they wanted to. It's not as if there were a law forbidding it, either--if a person doesn't like you, they most certainly could write a negative letter, or sabotage you in some way ("His work is acceptable, although he regularly arrived fifteen minutes late").
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    ("His work is acceptable, although he regularly arrived fifteen minutes late").
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  9. #9
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    I was in the room when my references were written and checked them before they went in their envelopes.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  10. #10
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by JetMaybe2015 View Post
    I absolutely want to read what my references said about me. All of them sent me a loose copy of the letters for me to read. I don't think this is strange at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I was in the room when my references were written and checked them before they went in their envelopes.....
    I don't blame you, JetMay; I was also very curious to know what my references were going to say about me. One of them was in Japanese and I couldn't understand it, but the other was from a dear friend and mentor who actually asked me for advice about how he should write it in order to maximize my chances. It was a good thing I saw it, too; he forgot to include the dates required, despite two requests, and happily added that information once I pointed it out.

    That said... miami is right to clarify the rules in this regard--the letters are supposed to be sealed and signed for security (although my references found this amusing).

    This is a good time to warn any applicants reading this: we take anonymity pretty seriously around here, because we want for people to be able to ask and answer questions as honestly as possible. However, we can't protect you from yourself, so be sure to choose usernames and post information with caution. If it's possible that you've violated some apparently insignificant technicality of the JET application process, it would probably be very good if you didn't reveal enough information here for anyone to identify you by name. Just to be safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  11. #11
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Just a reminder, the letters of recommendation are supposed to be sealed and confidential in an unopened envelope. You are not supposed to know what is written on them. Your descriptions make it seem like you have read them already.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetMaybe2015 View Post
    I absolutely want to read what my references said about me. All of them sent me a loose copy of the letters for me to read. I don't think this is strange at all.
    It might sound strange to you, but in a lot of businesses the purpose of the reference letter is actually to provide candid feedback to the new employer without the employees knowledge of said content. Yes, it could be bad, but we're not all perfect, and it's important to remember who your source is for your reference. Not everyone likes who they pretend to like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I was in the room when my references were written and checked them before they went in their envelopes.....
    This is where you know you have good references as they trust you enough to vet what they're writing.

    Check the rules though before submitting. If you just finished a nursing degree, isn't one of your letters of reference supposed to be from the university? If that isn't required (and I'm pretty sure it is), I'd go with BoE and manager. (Education and non-education)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  12. #12
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Check the rules though before submitting. If you just finished a nursing degree, isn't one of your letters of reference supposed to be from the university? If that isn't required (and I'm pretty sure it is), I'd go with BoE and manager. (Education and non-education)
    Good point! I'd quite forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  13. #13
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    I pretty much ignored the rules and submitted what I wanted but that was back in the old days before all you cool kids with your smart phones and broadband internet.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I pretty much ignored the rules and submitted what I wanted but that was back in the old days before all you cool kids with your smart phones and broadband internet.
    Yeah but we applied from the UK. Everyone knows the Americans are super uptight.

  15. #15
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    The Americans also have like five times the number of applicants to process. You can't really blame em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  16. #16
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    The reference letters are also supposed to include a specific form, so you can't use a rec letter that you already have on file - you'll have to contact the reference and have them fill out the form to include in the signed, sealed envelope.

    A reference from your previous BOE would probably be good, though, if you can get someone to issue you one in time. Or do you mean that you contacted four references to have them write letters for you specifically for this application?
    Last edited by therealwindycity; October 29th, 2014 at 20:08.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    previous jet BOE and coworker. Japanese opinion of ALT even if it is vague, is more important than current gaijin opinion
    Keep in mind that the applications are checked by people living in the country you're applying from, not Japanese CLAIR employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Which of these letters to include?

    Quote Originally Posted by JetMaybe2015 View Post
    I absolutely want to read what my references said about me. All of them sent me a loose copy of the letters for me to read. I don't think this is strange at all.
    Miami Coordinator is correct. In the professional world Letters of Recommendation are not supposed to be read by the person they're being written for. If your future employer knows that you've read the LoR, then they will have reason to believe that the LoR is not completely frank about your character and the integrity of the letter has likely been compromised by your influence. Unfortunately, a lot of professionals don't follow this unspoken rule, and will often show or even ask the opinion of the person they are writing the letter for. I know some people who write their own LoRs and then have their "recommender" just sign off on it. That really defeats the purpose of a LoR. We can't stop you from doing that, but just know in the future that it's not the expectation set by hiring managers.

    Another point to note is that most professional institutions will not accept a LoR written by a co-worker. It must be written by someone above you - your manager, supervisor, boss, etc. Even though your co-worker may know you and your work ethic better than your supervisor, it is more likely that your co-worker will be your friend, and will not be impartial in the letter. For this I would recommend against your co-worker's letter. As for the others, all I can say is that every aspect of the letter matters - how well the person writing it knew you and what they have to say about you. It sounds like most of your letters unfortunately only have one or the other. Choose the two that you think will best speak to your strengths as they relate to the program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Keep in mind that the applications are checked by people living in the country you're applying from, not Japanese CLAIR employees.
    You can turn in a letter of rec in Japanese. We even provide the form for it. We have Japanese people and people who can read Japanese working at the Japanese Embassy, ya know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •