Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interac Spring 2015 Candidates

Default Re: Interac Spring 2015 Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Risingfromashes View Post
    Trying to finish up the app and realized that they're requesting a cover letter instead of the short essay mentioned in years past. For those of you that got accepted, any suggestions on structure? Did everyone pretty much write why Japan and Interac portions? My current cover letter is pretty much focused on my teaching experience.
    I just ripped apart my JET SOP and put in a few different names.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

I didn't have a JET SOP so I had to modify my current cover letter. Put in a paragraph about my international experience/Japan, a paragraph about my teaching and tutoring experience and a quick conclusion with final tidbits and thanking them for their time. Hope it was enough. Sent it off immediately cause I'm the type to obsess and I didn't want to analyze it to death.

I saw the part requesting all of the documents and a picture. Is any of that needed now or does that come later if I'm offered an interview?

The sooner you get all of the documents together the better, save rushing around when trying to get ready for the interview. But i took my photo with me for my interview. Watch out for the size requirements for it though as they are a pain in the arse. I found snappy snaps was good for it as they had the right settings there, just had to let them know in advance.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    The sooner you get all of the documents together the better, save rushing around when trying to get ready for the interview. But i took my photo with me for my interview. Watch out for the size requirements for it though as they are a pain in the arse. I found snappy snaps was good for it as they had the right settings there, just had to let them know in advance.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to get on all of that right now. Snappy snaps looks great, but I'm going to need to look for a US equivalent. I did look up the size requirements, and you're right, they are a pain. I was hoping I could just send in my work photos. They just took pics of the faculty last year, but the dimensions are wrong for the app. So it looks like I'll be taking another one somewhere else.

Does anyone know what I can expect for turnaround time for Interac getting back to me about the initial app? I'm stressing myself out thinking that every phone call is from them, and then I practically worry myself to death when it isn't.
    Took the road less traveled. . .now I don't know where the hell I am.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to get on all of that right now. Snappy snaps looks great, but I'm going to need to look for a US equivalent. I did look up the size requirements, and you're right, they are a pain. I was hoping I could just send in my work photos. They just took pics of the faculty last year, but the dimensions are wrong for the app. So it looks like I'll be taking another one somewhere else.

Does anyone know what I can expect for turnaround time for Interac getting back to me about the initial app? I'm stressing myself out thinking that every phone call is from them, and then I practically worry myself to death when it isn't.

Once you have submitted your initial application, I would give it a couple days. They'll call and set up phone interview/screening (called me the day after submitting). After that, they'll invite you to an in person hiring session/ interview. They should be getting back to you soon.

They called today. Completely missed it because my phone was on vibrate while I was teaching. I called them back and set up a phone interview for tomorrow night. The rep said that the interview would only be about 20 minutes, but I'm trying to prep some of my answers in advance. I think I have general answers for why Japan? Why Interac? What are the expectations of an ALT? I figured I could just have my resume in front of me for notes if they ask about my teaching/tutoring experience. Am I missing anything?

Passed the phone interview. They offered seminars in Chicago and Toronto. I chose Canada cause of the insane traffic driving down from Michigan to Chicago. Anyone know if there is a big difference in the seminars between Canada and the US? I know there are some differences between the UK and the US.

The one time I would have been useful and I was away...

i dont know know about the US interview, but the uk one had a small English test ( I imagine that's the same) and then a little bit about the jobs and then we had to make demo videos following set criteria (into, why japan/teaching/experience and then a 5 min section for es and a 10 for jhs)
    i then heard about 3 weeks later and then it was a case of sorting out starting times.

EDIT; goddam phone. Will correct typos later
    Last edited by sharpinthefang; November 17th, 2014 at 15:56.

Lol! I can never send these things out from my phone without screaming. Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the UK and US ones are pretty similar, not sure if Canada has some differences though. I'm in the process of gathering all of those materials together. I wish I could interview before December 13th, but that's all they had near me. I hope there are even positions left at that time, especially since it takes 3 weeks turnaround and I'm guessing there will be delays over Christmas and New Years.

Not as many delays as you would expect, both of my schools are open on christmas eve and start back on the 26th. I think the government buildings are the same. One of the beautys about living in a non christain dominant country.
    We had our re-contracting requests sent out today, so they are starting to get ideas. They will prob ask you to start in April if you can as that is when the new school year starts.

That's a relief to hear. I'd prefer to start at the beginning of the school year, even though trying to gather that much start up money in such a short time is going to be a nightmare.

Wow your schools were open again on the 26th? Do you get any vacation in December? When I saw that they only pay 75% for December, I assumed it was because there was time off between Christmas and New Years.

The schools re-open that early, but they do shut over new years for a week (hence the 75% pay). The company take 5 of your 10 holiday days to make that into two weeks for us. So in reality i get from the 25th to the 6th of Jan as holiday that way.

Do people usually try to visit their home countries during this time or is the time too short and the tickets too expensive?

Quick side note. Are rjwood and I the only people on the forum going for the March intake? I knew some people would try for JET first but wow. Not sure that JET basket is big enough to hold all those eggs.
    Last edited by Risingfromashes; November 24th, 2014 at 23:00.

Do people usually try to visit their home countries during this time or is the time too short and the tickets too expensive?

Quick side note. Are rjwood and I the only people on the forum going for the March intake? I knew some people would try for JET first but wow. Not sure that JET basket is big enough to hold all those eggs.
    Not every one who applies finds there way here. I would say about 1% make it here. And most JETS apply for both and don't mention it.
    Why bother going home when you have a whole new country here to explore?

It's too bad that such a small percentage make their way here. The threads from previous years have been really informative. I have to admit that the JET threads are enormous though.

While I'm sure that Japan will be all types of awesome, I might decide that I want to see my family at some point. Either during the holidays or over the summer. Especially since I'm married. Kinda doubles the family obligation. I know people tend to travel locally or to short trips in Asia in August, but I didn't know if others went home instead. I guess if you're only staying for a year then it might be too expensive though.

Sorry that I cut my last answer short, I had class.

I would take every oppertunity possiable to visit this part of the world, you may never be closer. Your family can wait. Plus you should/may already know all the chrstmas events and things from back home, why not experience them in a new way and in a different place. Your family should understand, even more so if you are only planning on being out here for a year. Thats not a long time to be away in the scheme of things. I'm not married, but I have been with my OH for 6 years now but neither of us are planning on going back for the holidays. It's going to be nice to experience christmas together for once without all the stupid crap that families tend to pull. (Which is even more if you are married as you have to decide which family to visit and you can be sure that the other side will not be as understanding as they let on).

I do stalk the JET threads mainly beacuse they are more active, and at the end of the day we are all doing the same job and experiencing the same weird sh*t.

@Jigget. How many would you say make it on here then? How many thousands apply just from the states and we have an active membership of about 60 at best. Would it be more like 0.1%?

I think he was confused by what you meant by 'make it here'

'Here' could have meant ITIL or Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Ah, I meant ITIL.