Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Interac Spring 2015 Candidates

Default Re: Interac Spring 2015 Candidates

Thanks for the detailed reply sharpinthefang. Very sound advice.

Quick update: Switched my seminar to the Chicago location. The universe decided that it would get snow happy and I just kept daydreaming about delays at border crossings and trying to find my way to some place in Canada in Snowpocalypse 2.0. I know Chicago gets heaps of snow too, but at least it's somewhere I'm vaguely familiar with. Also, might have a slim chance of convincing my sis to ride shotgun since she used to live there. Any one else interview in Chicago?

I'm filling out all this paperwork and I'm stuck on the loan section. I get how it works and all that. They direct deposit you the money when you open your Japanese bank account and you have 6 months of indentured servitude to pay it back etc. Just wanted to know if anyone took the loan and did they feel like it was worth the trouble? Do you think it has any bearing on getting hired?
    Took the road less traveled. . .now I don't know where the hell I am.

The loan has no bearing on getting hired or not. I did not take the loan and talking to the others out here I am glad I did not.
    They take the same amount in repayments regardless if you are getting the 75% salaray for the month or the 100%. Everyone I have spoken to out here regrets it.

I would just work over time at work and scrimp and save every little bit instead. Now is also the perfect time to start going through your crap and shifting out what you really don't need.

Divide everything into three piles (you don't need to pack yet, could just start with a list).
    First pile is easy, what you are going to take with you. I.e clothes and one or two entertainment items. (I brought both computers and a 3ds to play with).
    Second and third piles are harder. Look at the stuff and think 'will i really want that in X number of years when i come back?' If the answer is no, sell it or bin it. That collection of posters you have? You won't want it when you come back. Same goes for that pile of books you read years ago and will most likely never read again.

If you do it all before you go, makes life a lot easier for when you come back. It's also useful if you have no-where to store your stuff for the years.
    Last edited by sharpinthefang; November 26th, 2014 at 10:14.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Don't get the loan. The above mentioned salary deduction alone is enough to convince you otherwise, but you don't want something like that hanging over your head should you decide Interac is not for you once you get here.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Hey everyone! I interviewed in the UK and I got my job offer so I'll be coming over in spring 2015! I was wondering if anyone had any specific dates for summer vacation? I keep hearing you get 3 weeks off in summer but does anyone know when? Also I requested to not be near Fukushima, if you get put on the alternate track, do they take these requests in mind or could I end up in Fukushima?
    Thanks
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by pinkprincess89 View Post
    Also I requested to not be near Fukushima...
    Before anyone else says anything, I will merely point out that parts of suburban Tokyo are closer to Fukushima Daiichi than some parts of Fukushima prefecture.

I was pretty sure Interac got almost all of August off (unpaid), depending on when the new term starts. The term dates vary each year, and the start-date after summer is the most changeable.
    ...because Japan.

I can't believe they hired someone who requested to be not near fukushima. Interac is more desperate than I thought.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

You do get the summer off, but you only get paid for half of it. If they ask for volunteers for the summer camps, take them. They are good fun and you get paid a bonus too.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Hey everyone! I interviewed in the UK and I got my job offer so I'll be coming over in spring 2015! I was wondering if anyone had any specific dates for summer vacation? I keep hearing you get 3 weeks off in summer but does anyone know when? Also I requested to not be near Fukushima, if you get put on the alternate track, do they take these requests in mind or could I end up in Fukushima?
    Thanks
    Amy
    Which UK seminar did you attend? I attended London on November 20th and got a job offer too!

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I can't believe they hired someone who requested to be not near fukushima. Interac is more desperate than I thought.
    Mothy, I don't think that request is particularly unreasonable! I'd happily be anywhere else in Japan, but for the sake of my health and my family's peace of mind they clearly don't think it's unreasonable too!

Thanks Antonath, that's good to know!
    Hi Itsmicster, I actually interviewed in March in Oxford, however I was waiting to finish my degree this summer so I had to postpone until spring 2015. I was originally going to attend the seminar in London but I got moved to Oxford where no one else turned up! Did you have many other people interviewing at your seminar? Congrats on the job offer, it's quite agonising having to wait! But It's so exciting it's worth the wait!

Thanks Antonath, that's good to know!
    Hi Itsmicster, I actually interviewed in March in Oxford, however I was waiting to finish my degree this summer so I had to postpone until spring 2015. I was originally going to attend the seminar in London but I got moved to Oxford where no one else turned up! Did you have many other people interviewing at your seminar? Congrats on the job offer, it's quite agonising having to wait! But It's so exciting it's worth the wait!
    Ahhh, cool. The London one had four people - Me, my partner (who also got a job offer), another guy and another girl.

That's great you both got it! So. Have you requested to be put together then?

That's great you both got it! So. Have you requested to be put together then?
    Yup! They're going to make all the effort they can to have us in the same area of the prefecture we end up in

Request Kitakyushu, I know of a couple that are leaving. One's in an ES the other in a JHS.

Mothy, I don't think that request is particularly unreasonable! I'd happily be anywhere else in Japan, but for the sake of my health and my family's peace of mind they clearly don't think it's unreasonable too!
    They clearly will accept anyone.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

It's only unresonable as it shows your level of research about the situation. Read some scientific journals about it, it's not as bad as the media hype suggests.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Or as bad as, say, eating fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmicster View Post
    Yup! They're going to make all the effort they can to have us in the same area of the prefecture we end up in
    Good luck! I really hope you get it!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    It's only unresonable as it shows your level of research about the situation. Read some scientific journals about it, it's not as bad as the media hype suggests.
    Is there a link to any journals you've read online? I'd like to have a read. It's hard to tell what is just hype and what is real information just by googling it!

Good luck! I really hope you get it!

Is there a link to any journals you've read online? I'd like to have a read. It's hard to tell what is just hype and what is real information just by googling it!

Always look for credible journals or schools that have a reputation. You always want peer reviewed research as well. In case that is all new information for you.
    Just from a quick look, here is a quick rundown on some isotope measures from 2013 already. a bit back, and even then, things are not far from normal.
    Evaluation of radiation doses and associated risk from the Fukushima nuclear accident to marine biota and human consumers of seafood
    Though this pertains more to migratory results of the accident, much of this data can be used to also related to the fukushima area.

Could always check a few documentaries too. Just take every single thing you see with a grain of salt. Most media based information will have its agenda, no matter how small it might be.
    Last edited by gibbity; December 3rd, 2014 at 05:22.

Thanks Gibbity! That's a big help, I guess I should stop being so paranoid!