Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recontract?

Default Re: Recontract?

I was never a man.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yep, all very good points... I'm 21 so it's not like I feel pressured to go back home and look for a more permanent career. But yeah being deep in the inaka makes doing anything during the week fairly limited as there is nothing here and I'm not exactly close to any other ALTs.
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbletbunny View Post
    By the end of that first year on the JET Program, I was finally feeling like I was settling in and really enjoying myself. I finally started to connect with a community of friends and get used to living in Japan.

As far as keeping busy at work, this time around, I have gotten more responsibilities during my second year and I hope things will continue to get busier in my next year too. If nothing else, at least as others have mentioned, the staff at my schools have gotten more used to me so that has lead to my work being more enjoyable on the whole.
    This is why I don't really want to leave - I really like a lot of the ALTs in my prefecture and I don't wanna leave them all if I'm still having fun! I don't feel so comfortable with the people at the BOE just cos hardly anyone says anything to each other and I have no idea what to talk about with my limited Japanese and their very limited English, but I wanna take N3 in July so hopefully that should improve things. I probably will stay one more year but yeah there are some doubts in the back of my mind.

Banned

What is it with people who can't spend a few minutes alone with their own thoughts? If my job was literally to sit in the BOE all day five days a week, I'd recontract five years without skipping a beat. Who has time to be bored these days?

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    What is it with people who can't spend a few minutes alone with their own thoughts? If my job was literally to sit in the BOE all day five days a week, I'd recontract five years without skipping a beat. Who has time to be bored these days?
    I don't often have days with no classes, but when I do...there's such a huge battle inside my head over how busy I should make myself appear within the office. It's awful.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

My boss taught me the word for kicking your heels around because you have nothing to do. It gets used more often than I'd hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I thought this too when I heard I'd have 2 days a week just doing whatever, but the novelty doesn't take long to wear off!

Everyone needs purpose to be happy. If you can't give it to yourself you need to be told what it is.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Eh, help your coworkers then.

I'm sure a few of them would appreciate it.

If not try setting up a project for a future class/school event.

Or you know, get a new hobby?

Or you know, get a new hobby?
    Sadly my school frowned on my stripper hobby.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Sadly my school frowned on my stripper hobby.
    Whatever happened to our credit business?

Don't let the dream die!
    Your coworkers are our next clients.

My boss was on about making a line of t-shirts with the phrase '...because Japan' on them. I told him i had the perfect market for them.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

antonath is your boss?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Busted.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Only if he works for Interac
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Busted, and Dark Secret is revealed.

I'd say the best market for "because Japan" t-shirts would be the Japanese. Irony and sarcasm are not among their strong points.

And no, I don't work for interac. I have too much respect for the average person to treat them like that. And seeing how little I respect the average person, that says a lot about interac.
    Last edited by Antonath; November 7th, 2014 at 07:00.
    ...because Japan.

Aimlessly wandering through this meandering existence.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Oh, hey Roflcopter.
    The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

I can see I've left a lasting impression.

EDIT:

Official statement from mods on the rampant discrimination against Interac ALTs on the site?
    QQ out of life good sir! How's that for an official statement!?
    Last edited by RoflCopter; November 10th, 2014 at 02:18.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    While I agree with Gizmo, that the only thing really holding one back from doing these things is one's self. I do agree that traveling, living abroad, vacations, etc are much easier when you're younger.

Post JET, I had two weeks....however I couldn't take two weeks off in a row. I had a hard time taking 1 week off at a time. It really limited the travel I was able to do. Additionally, when you're out there in your "career", you tend to work longer hours, by the time you get home after work, you're too tired to plan anything. I ended up taking a few "staycations". Even though I am back in Japan, I wish I had 20 days of vacation and school vacations when I could just take time off no questions asked. So far this year I have only been able to use 3 of my vacation days.

I also second Windy in that my second year was better than my first. Co-workers started to come around, etc.

If you've met a solid group of JETs, that you get along with, who are mostly staying.......I would seriously consider staying. You'll see more of Japan / Asia, form live long bounds, and save more.
    I saved more on JET than I did back home even though I made 50% more back home.
    IMO, 2 years abroad looks much better on a resume than 1 does.

JET makes it very, very easy / cheap to travel (east asia).

Just remember for most people, December is worst month in regards to culture shock (Japan isn't shiny and new anymore, it gets cold, Christmas in Japan sucks, etc.) so it might be a bad time to make your decision.

This is shitty to say but....... you can always back out in spring.

These threads have been posted before, check the archives and talk to the 2nd year ALTS in your area (maybe your pred too). See what they have to say.
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you do in Tokyo? I'm always interested to see what JETs end up doing after their time, especially ones who keep a connection with Japan...

Quote Originally Posted by RoflCopter View Post
    I can see I've left a lasting impression.
    Who could forget about your "humble" feats and conquests?