Thread: Quick Question-Application Error

Default Quick Question-Application Error

Hey everyone,

I'm applying for JET this year, and I am prepping my packet to be mailed. Upon reading the paper print-out of my application, I noticed a couple minor errors.

1. I accidentally listed by birthdate as this year (D'oh)
    2. I accidentally wrote the date of my application on the last page rather than my birthdate
    3. I accidentally have my undergraduate education listed as "graduate" level.

I read over my form before submitting to their system, but these errors were so minor they slipped past me. I was wondering what hte best course of action right now would be. Should I merely correct the paper version in pen since the paper version is the one they review and the online one is more for database purposes, or should I submit a new application with a different email? I think option number one is the best, as submitting a new application might look fishy, and if anything it would just make it more hectic and confusing. My birthdate is listed on my passport scan, so they can also check there. As for my college education, I earned a B.S., so it's fairly obvious it was undergrad.

Are these problems so minor I shouldn't even worry? The rest of my application is up to snuff. I suppose I'm just stressed since the rest of this is so specific. I'd like to make sure my i's are dotted and my t's crossed.

Thanks for the help guys!

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Quick Question-Application Error

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm applying for JET this year, and I am prepping my packet to be mailed. Upon reading the paper print-out of my application, I noticed a couple minor errors.

1. I accidentally listed by birthdate as this year (D'oh)
    2. I accidentally wrote the date of my application on the last page rather than my birthdate
    3. I accidentally have my undergraduate education listed as "graduate" level.

I read over my form before submitting to their system, but these errors were so minor they slipped past me. I was wondering what hte best course of action right now would be. Should I merely correct the paper version in pen since the paper version is the one they review and the online one is more for database purposes, or should I submit a new application with a different email? I think option number one is the best, as submitting a new application might look fishy, and if anything it would just make it more hectic and confusing. My birthdate is listed on my passport scan, so they can also check there. As for my college education, I earned a B.S., so it's fairly obvious it was undergrad.

Are these problems so minor I shouldn't even worry? The rest of my application is up to snuff. I suppose I'm just stressed since the rest of this is so specific. I'd like to make sure my i's are dotted and my t's crossed.

Thanks for the help guys!
    You need to contact the dc coordinators or hobsons asap so they can reset your application submission so that you can fix those errors.

Do not submit a new application unless they specifically tell you to do so.

-MC
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Shoot. I just emailed in my paper versions. I was getting nervous about the mail not arriving in time and the forum was taking some time in addressing the question. I figured the errors were minor so it wouldn't be a major problem.

Should I still contact them an explain? On my paper forms I corrected the error in pen. I could probably still send in another application by the deadline if they need me to, but it would be in a separate envelope from the one I just mailed in (with my letters of rec, transcripts, proof of ID).

How do I contact them?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar View Post
    Shoot. I just emailed in my paper versions. I was getting nervous about the mail not arriving in time and the forum was taking some time in addressing the question. I figured the errors were minor so it wouldn't be a major problem.

Should I still contact them an explain? On my paper forms I corrected the error in pen. I could probably still send in another application by the deadline if they need me to, but it would be in a separate envelope from the one I just mailed in (with my letters of rec, transcripts, proof of ID).

How do I contact them?
    If you sent it in the application packet already, then you should email them and ask them how to proceed. The thing is, they are just getting started on the review process. Its not like they are going to be able to pull your file amongst the 5000+ applications sitting in the mail room.

Their email address is jetprogram@ws.mofa.go.jp
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

have fun applying next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

You call a 5 hour response slow? Seriously, look at the number of active members and think about time zones. When you posted, the majority of us already out here were asleep.

Not trying to be rude, but yeah, as Becky said. Good luck next year.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

And if op tried to email the paper versions, they might have a bigger problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Thanks! I'll email them and see what can be done, if anything.

As to the other guys---Sorry. I was typing my responses in a hectic manner.

No, I would not consider a 5-hour response slow. That was a bit of a misnomer---what I meant was that I was prepping to mail out yesterday. Then I remembered about this forum, so decided to see if I could get a quick post in before I mailed out. I wanted to make sure to mail out before the post-office closed, so I was a little pressed for time. Sorry if I came off as somehow impatient with the process of how things work here.

And thanks for the encouragement for next year! I'm still hoping to see if a solution will be viable for this cycle, but if not, I'll be sure to quadruple-check next time.

All the replies to your post sound very dire, but honestly these are 99% chance not disqualifying errors. You should fix them if you can, of course, but the worst case scenario I think would just be a couple points taken off for carelessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

I second what Miami PC said. Contact the Embassy with your question. You can also call them if you want a faster response.

Aimlessly wandering through this meandering existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    All the replies to your post sound very dire, but honestly these are 99% chance not disqualifying errors. You should fix them if you can, of course, but the worst case scenario I think would just be a couple points taken off for carelessness.
    Comical.. Do you honestly think they're not looking for attention to detail? That's the first thing a potential employer looks for, if you're competent enough to follow even the most basic of instructions. Reading comprehension would be on the top of that list when applying for a job in which you're teaching a language.

Quote Originally Posted by RoflCopter View Post
    Comical.. Do you honestly think they're not looking for attention to detail? That's the first thing a potential employer looks for, if you're competent enough to follow even the most basic of instructions. Reading comprehension would be on the top of that list when applying for a job in which you're teaching a language.
    Do you honestly think they disqualify every single application that has an error? Because if they did, we'd have 0 JETs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Aimlessly wandering through this meandering existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Do you honestly think they disqualify every single application that has an error? Because if they did, we'd have 0 JETs.
    Of course not, but I'm sure there are plenty of applications that don't have such errors. You don't look for "positive" qualities in the application process first, you look for things that disqualify and/or make them less appealing.

Although your reviewer might roll their eyes at making such simple mistakes, the fact that you caught them before sending the packet off shows that you at least recognized the mistake, and that you would have changed it had you the ability to. You'll be fine.

In my case, I found two errors in my application upon submitting it online. In one section I noticed that one word was cut off in the title of a Japanese course. In another, I accidentally listed "20" instead of "10" for the year a course took place. I am hoping the potential employer will not take it into too much consideration as everything else in the packet was flawless as far as I can tell.

My error was not so much a mistake as it was worded incorrectly in the award section compared to other documents.

At my first school I had a 4.0 average which is called a "President's List" at the school I transferred to. In actuality it was referred to as "Dean's List" on my first school's transcript, which at my transfer school means less than 4.0, hence the confusion. I put in a small sticky note noting the correction.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I didn't want someone getting the idea that I'm trying to make myself sound better than I really am by falsifying information.

I didn't even think about sticky noting my errors. Christ. Still, fingers crossed.