Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CIR Applicants 2014

Default CIR Applicants 2014

Hey guys (and gals, I think?),

I'm Pen.

I know that the majority of job openings and such are ALTs, but are there other people who are on the forum who are applying to be CIRs? I know that last year America accepted about 40ish people for the CIR position. Let's talk with each other and get to know each other. I figure that most people who are actively posting on the forum are ALT applicants.

Uhm, to make this post more interesting, let's post a weird mistake in Japanese that you made at one point in time. I once was talking about Green Tea's power to help your brain and because I'd said, '緑茶” so many times with the 'ryoku', I ended up saying ' 尿力', piss power instead of ’能力’. Not to mention that this was for a presentation....anyway, my host mother started cackling with laughter. She said, "well, I guess green tea does help your piss power...but that isn't something you want to tell your class is it?" It was pretty hilarious. ...maybe you just had to be there?

Anyway, if there are any other CIR applicants, another question. Did you check the box 'yes' or 'no' to be considered for an ALT position? I chose no. If I don't get CIR, I don't want to roll the dice for a crappy school/co-worker position when I'm happy enough at the English School I'm at now. Besides, I'm actually teaching now, and I could...like, not....if I got a crappy placement.

Anyway, yoroshiku and all that!

Default Re: CIR Applicants 2014

Unless you get one of the very few CIR placements that are in offices full time you will probably end up teaching in a crappy placement anyway.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

That's what I figured, especially since I have teaching background. I'll probably get one of those hybrid roles if I get it at all. But better to only have if half of the time instead of all.
    I'm on my magical 5th Year in Japan I only have one shot for applying, so might as well try to get the job I wanted. Who knows? I could get lucky?

Also, a side note. When typing in Japanese it gets looked down on on these forums as there are tons of newbies who can't read any Japanese and get freaked out. We do have a section of a forum for Japanese typing/learning.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

This is an appropriate thread to use Japanese in. Keep it up. That being said, I don't think there are many cir applicants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Also, a side note. When typing in Japanese it gets looked down on on these forums as there are tons of newbies who can't read any Japanese and get freaked out. We do have a section of a forum for Japanese typing/learning.
    I was thinking that people who are applying to be a CIR should have to have a bit of a handle on Japanese to apply for said job. If someone is getting freaked out by a little Japanese then they certainly should be thinking about applying for CIR. I guess it takes all kinds, though. There must be people who misjudge their ability all the time, otherwise they wouldn't have the 'bump down' to ALT option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    This is an appropriate thread to use Japanese in. Keep it up. That being said, I don't think there are many cir applicants.
    Yeah, I'm not really thinking there are that many. There are only a few slots for the job, too. Oh well, worth looking for others, at least.

If you have been in japan 5 years why the hell are you applying for JET? You've spent 5 years in education and you haven't made any contacts with anyone on a local/prefectural government level that could recommend you for a CIR type position?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    If you have been in japan 5 years why the hell are you applying for JET? You've spent 5 years in education and you haven't made any contacts with anyone on a local/prefectural government level that could recommend you for a CIR type position?
    Pssh. If I'd done that then I wouldn't need JET. Nope, I studied abroad for three years and now I've worked here for two, so that's my magic 5. I'm helping out at my City Hall, but they don't have the money for a full-time CIR even though they kind of need one, so it's volunteer for experience kinda thing. *shrug*

studying doesn't count towards the year limit on JET does it?

I assumed it did as I was living here and studying at the same time. It said years in Japan...and that would count for some of my years in Japan, right?

studying doesnt really count as living in japan. If it did nobody would ever be a 5th year JET

Hahaha! Oh okay, I see what you did there.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Studying does count unfortunately, it's how long you've been in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

First of all, living in Japan in any capacity, be it studying or working, counts to the "Must not have lived in Japan for 6 or more of the last 10 years" requirement set in place for applying candidates. Once you are accepted onto the JET Program, your ability to recontract is no affected by how many years you lived in Japan prior to acceptance onto the JET Program. That requirement only affects those that are applying to the JET Program, not recontracting.

Secondly, school visits and adult English classes should be considered as part of the "Jack of all Trades" package that is the CIR position. A CIR position is not for someone who does not want to interact with other people. Whether you are leading a community cooking class or teaching about American food in a junior high class, you are essentially doing the same thing; you are sharing and teaching English and American / foreign culture.

In the past there were certainly CIR positions who ended up in a position almost exclusively like an ALT. This happened for a variety of reasons; sometimes a rural BOE did not have enough money for both a CIR and an ALT but had tasks for both positions. They would request a CIR from CLAIR and then have that CIR primarily teach with the occasional stereotypical CIR office work. CLAIR has been aware of positions that are like this and have been working over the past years to reduce this. I know one of my close friends was a CIR for two years from around 2007 - 2009 and this was his experience, so it may be only within the past few years that CLAIR has been actively working to reduce this issue, but rest assured that they are most certainly aware of it. It's difficult because it's not like CLAIR has much legal authority over Contracting Organizations. They do their best to make the best JET experience possible for all 4,500+ people, but when you're dealing with nearly every city, town, and village in an entire country, there will be a lot of ESID. Point is, you should apply to the CIR position without worrying that you will essentially become an ALT, but should also go in with the understanding that two days of school visits out of the week could be considered standard for many CIR positions. Then again another one of my co-workers was a CIR for 5 years in Chiba and never once stepped foot in a classroom. ESID.

nearly every city, town and village in the country? thats a bit of a stretch dont you think?

With a couple of exceptions like Yokohama and Nagoya, JETs are pretty damn well represented. We're even on islands that you have to zoom in pretty far on Google Maps just to see! Add to that the 2000+ increase over the next 5 years (bringing us back to 2006-era JET numbers) and the fact that a lot of smaller Japanese municipals are still combining as a way to keep their infrastructure intact as they face a declining population and I think our coverage is fairly well represented across a country smaller than California.

It's the Japanese government's goal to put an ALT in every school across Japan. When you combine JETs with private teachers their goal is to have a 20,000-strong ALT force. Although we don't have the exact numbers because we don't track JETs after they leave the program, CLAIR has good reason to believe that a large portion of private ALTs are former JETs who have renegotiated their contract with their original BoE or have gone off to a different school as a private ALT. If you think about the coverage that the alumni network has built over the past 30 years in Japan I wouldn't be surprised if there's a JET alumnus every X kilometers.

Daily Yomiuri: Japanese government announces increase for JET Programme | JETwit.com

Quote Originally Posted by JET ProgramCoordinator SF View Post

Secondly, school visits and adult English classes should be considered as part of the "Jack of all Trades" package that is the CIR position. A CIR position is not for someone who does not want to interact with other people. Whether you are leading a community cooking class or teaching about American food in a junior high class, you are essentially doing the same thing; you are sharing and teaching English and American / foreign culture.

Point is, you should apply to the CIR position without worrying that you will essentially become an ALT, but should also go in with the understanding that two days of school visits out of the week could be considered standard for many CIR positions. Then again another one of my co-workers was a CIR for 5 years in Chiba and never once stepped foot in a classroom. ESID.
    I figured that school visits, English lessons in the BOE, general sharing of the culture would be in the norm. I just heard about those essentially ALT CIR jobs and kind of got worried, but I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring, anyway. I wouldn't mind the teaching that would come with it, but if it was all teaching, then there is really no reason to leave my current job. I'd like more of the International Exchange element as well as all the other stuff.

But yes, thanks for reconfirming about the year requirements. I was right about that.

Jet isn't the marines. It's not for life. If there are just over 4100 ALTs and over 3000 local governments + designated cities + prefectural board of educations it's impossible for JETs to be in "nearly every city, town and village". The majority of ALTs may be JET but let's not get carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Jet isn't the marines. It's not for life. If there are just over 4100 ALTs and over 3000 local governments + designated cities + prefectural board of educations it's impossible for JETs to be in "nearly every city, town and village". The majority of ALTs may be JET but let's not get carried away.
    For example, down here in Kitakyushu, Interac far outnumbers JETS. (There is one more company that also outnumbers Interac but i can't remember their name
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

... CIA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.