Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: CIR Applicants 2014

Default Re: CIR Applicants 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Moso View Post
    Yoo it was a lighthearted comment?

Btw if you are posting such a response because you think I'm personally bitter I didn't put a placement request and am perfectly happy having been placed in Shimane lmao and I'm not that inaka.

Anyways I don't think its bad advice not to pin your hopes on getting placed wherever. You may get your dream placement! You may get somewhere you've never heard of. And yeah, there are plenty of very rural placements outside of Shimane too. Good luck
    I'm really sorry. I taught 7 hours yesterday (Eikaiwa, oh yeah) and my brain was fried. I didn't mean to say that and be a total jerk.

I actually love Shimane, lol, I've been there before. It was great. I know there are lots of rural placements, and we really don't get much of a choice in the end, because it really isn't us who makes the choice. And you're only saying that. I'm from the countryside in America, and I did a homestay in a no-traffic light town in Hokkaido, so I know (a small slice of) what to expect with rural Japan.
    So, I apologize again. And please send me Shimaneko goodz. Haha. You wouldn't want my character goods. Not as scary at Tottori's, but equally bizarre.

I'd kind of like to be in inaka, except for the fact that I hate driving. I'm aiming for a nice semi-urban area, haha.
    Last edited by AyaReiko; March 31st, 2015 at 13:01.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I like my inaka area.

I don't have to drive, though everyone else in my greater area does, and if I did want to drive it's a reallynice place to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'm in as a CIR. Short list. Los Angeles e-mailed me about 10 minutes ago.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I'm in as a CIR. Short list. Los Angeles e-mailed me about 10 minutes ago.
    Congrats again! Let's hope we can fist bump at orientation!

Hi everyone,

I also received my notification this evening around dinnertime. Shortlist from Boston! I am new to this forum and I am so excited to start talking to all of you about the CIR position and all things Japan!

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

Awesome, congrats!

I hope we all know by the end of the week!

Any other UK JETs who applied for CIR? When I signed in at the embassy I saw barely any people there for it, so I wonder if there were just fewer applicants this year or what. One of my friends forgot to bring his passport and got turned away, which, while awful for him, actually improves my chances...

Yay! Let's hope everyone gets their notifications soon!

Good luck, everyone!
    I hope you all get in, and I look forward to some good forum talk.
    車庫 B1F

Hi everyone,

I guess this is a massive bump but I wasn't sure where else to post for questions about becoming a CIR. I'm really interested in applying for 2016!

I'm a little worried though, because although I have improved a lot this year and studied hard, I did fail JLPT N2 last year (I think I got like 88/180, it was very depressing ><) and I'm not sure if that will be looked upon unfavorably on my application. I also won't be around to take it this december either. I'm hoping I'll be able to prove my worth in the interview, if I can get that far. Will it matter that much?

Other than that, I'm pretty interested in working in a small town or rural area. I've lived in Tokyo and Kobe, and would like to try something different. Also seems like a CIR could do some really fun and worthwhile work out there. Does anyone have any positive/ negative experiences?
    Last edited by shanshan310; August 30th, 2015 at 23:03.

I am a current CIR and I had lunch at a beer factory with my hancho on Friday between visiting a JAXA facility and a park. It can be pretty fun.

I don't think you'll get an interview without being N2 level. If you passed N3, I'd not mention it. Just proceed as if you've never taken the test. You should try to take it in December, at all cost. If you were to get an interview, you'd want to have the certificate then, but it might not arrive by interview time. I'd work on finding another way to prove your ability. Get a certificate of some kind, if you can, or have one of your letters be from a Japanese teacher (if you haven't taken classes, seek out an actual teacher and pay them for some lessons, then have them testify).

I think if you can find a way to prove your Japanese ability, you might have a shot without a JLPT result. You should focus on getting something tangible. N2 score is the best way to do that. If you really want to be a CIR, you need to take that test in December and submit your test enrollment receipt with your application.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; August 30th, 2015 at 23:27.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I am a current first-year CIR and I had lunch at a beer factory with my hancho on Friday between visiting a JAXA facility and a park. It can be pretty fun.

I don't think you'll get an interview without being N2 level. If you passed N3, I'd not mention it. Just proceed as if you've never taken the test. You should try to take it in December, at all cost. If you were to get an interview, you'd want to have the certificate then, but it might not arrive by interview time. I'd work on finding another way to prove your ability. Get a certificate of some kind, if you can, or have one of your letters be from a Japanese teacher (if you haven't taken classes, seek out an actual teacher and pay them for some lessons, then have them testify).

I think if you can find a way to prove your Japanese ability, you might have a shot without a JLPT result. You should focus on getting something tangible. N2 score is the best way to do that. If you really want to be a CIR, you need to take that test in December and submit your test enrollment receipt with your application.
    Hmm, well that's sobering but not totally disheartening. I'm doing a Japanese honours thesis at the moment so I should be able to get my supervisor to write me a recommendation. That doesn't really show exactly what level I'm at though.

I'm visiting friends overseas while JLPT is happening this December, so it might be awkward logistically which is why I was hoping that I could avoid it. I'll try looking into it though if it's that important.

Thanks for your advice

I've applied twice in a row: one year I had my N2 certificate in hand, but not the first. I still got an interview and got on the alternate list both times.
    They did test my Japanese ability by phone, though (both times).

I suppose you could always try to take the exam where your friend lives, if that's possible.
    Last edited by AyaReiko; September 2nd, 2015 at 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by shanshan310 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Will it matter that much?
    To be fair there's people out there with N1 that absolutely suck at communicating and then there's people with N2 that can actually hold good conversation.
    At the end of the day it's going to come down to how you come across in the interview so try to focus on your speaking/ listening. Yes, you will need the reading skills for the comprehension portion, but all the kanji in the world isn't going to help you if you can't express yourself and/ or answer basic questions. If you did fail N2 and can't take it this time round take some time in the interview to explain what you HAVE been doing to improve your Japanese. Put a positive spin on it.

Generally speaking I think rural CIR placements are often good at giving you a broad range of skills. Sure, you might want that 県庁 position, but I know lots of 県庁 peeps that do nothing but translation. Fine if you want to be a translator post-JET I guess, but jack-off-all-trades type positions open up more job options down the track. The ability to live in rural Japan for an extended period also shows future empolyees that you are flexible and able to adapt to different environments with ease.

You don't need JLPT to apply for a CIR position. Having that concrete proof of level would be helpful but they will be able to gauge your level during interview. However I absolutely would not mention the fact you failed it. It could hurt your application for sure.

But since you did fail it you may want to look at improving your Japanese in general if you want to be at the level required for CIR.. (though JLPT isn't the most accurate reflection of someone's ability)

But yeah if you want to work in rural Japan then put that on your application, there are plenty of CIR placements in rural areas!

Yeah, the CIR in the city below mine has not taken the JLPT but damn, he's pretty good. He had other things to prove his language skills, such as taking classes conducted fully in Japanese at Nanzan, business internships, etc. So don't lose hope just yet.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    My undergrad major was Japanese and I've been studying hard to get my language skills up to scratch so hopefully that will be enough to prove my fluency and succeed as a CIR